Win 10 upgrade 2018

By heck Microsoft's un-notified upgrade policy is exasperating.

I've twice now had a mobile broadband account brought to a standstill at a critical moment by unannounced Win 10 downloads and upgrades. In both cases I'd had the laptops in question fully updated on broadband at home before travelling. Nevertheless, Win 10 has yet another fricking multi-Gb download less than 12 hours later.

I've also had to reconfigure my NAS backup at home because Win 10 update simply disabled/replaced the backup service without any notification. I had to spend about twenty minutes on Google to find the solution. Why on earth do Microsoft do this to ordinary retail/ domestic customers?

I've also had to reconfigure my NAS backup at home because Win 10 update simply disabled/replaced the backup service without any notification. I had to spend about twenty minutes on Google to find the solution. Why on earth do Microsoft do this to ordinary retail/ domestic customers?
You are no longer the customer. You are now the product.

Having said that I support a friend of mine who is useless with computers and since he went from W7 to W10 his need for support has more or less ended.

If you get "Access is denied". make sure you're logged in with a Administrator account type.
Alreadfy had that covered.

As for your updates problem, click power icon if it says "update and restart" Hold "shift" button and then click "restart"{ this should force updates}
That isn't what's happening. The Windows updates will not even download, never mind not install.

OK, sorted now. What I did, after trying everything else, was download the Media Creation Tool. Using that, I did what I think amounted to an install of the latest version of Windows 10 over the top of the existing install (while keeping the user settings).

I'm back in business. I've lost one or two personal settings, but it's broadly as it was. Windows Update is now working again.... until the next time.

I've just had the latest forced update and now all things are running a fair bit slower.

This laptop came with bundled software and I still can't tell what is part of win10 and what is the bloatware.
Some of the "apps" want me to have a Microsoft account, which I don't want, and some are just links to websites.
Microsoft Office is listed too but clicking on that just takes me to a website with the offer to buy it. Installed my own Office from an older disc but now there's two listed and I have to click the right one to open it. Trying to open a .docx file brings the message that Office isn't installed.
Overall I preferred Windows XP, but that's now defunct.

I've just had the latest forced update and now all things are running a fair bit slower.

This laptop came with bundled software and I still can't tell what is part of win10 and what is the bloatware.
Some of the "apps" want me to have a Microsoft account, which I don't want, and some are just links to websites.
Microsoft Office is listed too but clicking on that just takes me to a website with the offer to buy it. Installed my own Office from an older disc but now there's two listed and I have to click the right one to open it. Trying to open a .docx file brings the message that Office isn't installed.
I was running XP until a few months ago. I used a registry tweak to fool the OS into thinking that it was the ATM version of Windows - so I was still getting security updates. The only disadvantage for me was that XP doesn't support USB3 and the 32 bit version I was using had DRAM size limitations.

Eventually, though, newer software, browsers and the like stopped supporting XP and I was forced onto the darkside.

If you down load "C Cleaner" you can use the "tools" section to Uninstall the programs you think are junk,
Then remove two junk programs at a time, carry on using the computer, no change, remove more
junk till all what you consider as junk is removed.
If you remove something and your computer doesn't work properly do the following,
Press "windows" key and"R"
{this will bring up the RUN window} Type in "cmd" and press "enter"
{"system32\cmd.exe" will open,} Type in "sfc<space>/scannow" press "enter"
wait till the computer stops doing it's stuff and your computer will work ok again
This checks all your "must have files" and corrects any that been corupted

ype in "sfc<space>/scannow" press "enter" wait till the computer stops doing it's stuff and your computer will work ok again
This checks all your "must have files" and corrects any that been corrupted
That was one of the several things that I tried yesterday to sort my Windows Update problem. It didn't work. It just told me at the end of the scan that it had found some problems that it was unable to fix.

That was one of the several things that I tried yesterday to sort my Windows Update problem. It didn't work. It just told me at the end of the scan that it had found some problems that it was unable to fix.
If you have problems again you might have a bad spot on your Hard Drive

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
had one weird issue when I first booted from the update when my main screen was dimmed (like a dialog box was open and was waiting for a response) and wouldn't respond- cleared by a reboot. not noticed any slowing or other issues up to now. and the update went very quickly indeed. I've had friends report it went 12-18 hours on their systems. mine is well specced, but not cutting edge.

By heck Microsoft's un-notified upgrade policy is exasperating.

I've twice now had a mobile broadband account brought to a standstill at a critical moment by unannounced Win 10 downloads and upgrades. In both cases I'd had the laptops in question fully updated on broadband at home before travelling. Nevertheless, Win 10 has yet another fricking multi-Gb download less than 12 hours later.

After a terrible industrial accident at Microsoft when brains were fried, probably, Windows 8 was pants, and then Windows 10 was double pants losing us time and business. Thirty years we've been on Windows but no more. All laptops and office PCs were removed yesterday for wiping and clean installs of a decent OS. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

After a terrible industrial accident at Microsoft when brains were fried, probably, Windows 8 was pants, and then Windows 10 was double pants losing us time and business. Thirty years we've been on Windows but no more. All laptops and office PCs were removed yesterday for wiping and clean installs of a decent OS. Good riddance to bad rubbish.
What have you installed?

There are limited serious options to Windows, especialy if you work collaboatively with other organisations.

Mac - all new machines
Linux flavour - Ubuntu (I don't like the current iteration), Mint (I like)
Other Linux distros such as Red Hat / Fedora
Chrome OS
Solaris
Free BSD

None other Mac offer the full Windows experience and software.

Please let us know which you choose!

What have you installed?
Oh right, the shop will wipe the drives and then give us options after testing. As we're on holiday I couldn't GAF at the moment :) Glad to see the back of Win 10 but it took us a long time to jump.

Oh right, the shop will wipe the drives and then give us options after testing. As we're on holiday I couldn't GAF at the moment :) Glad to see the back of Win 10 but it took us a long time to jump.
I too would like to leave Windows, let me know what you come up with, Dankie

There are limited serious options to Windows, especialy if you work collaboatively with other organisations.

Mac - all new machines
Linux flavour - Ubuntu (I don't like the current iteration), Mint (I like)
Other Linux distros such as Red Hat / Fedora
Chrome OS
Solaris
Free BSD

None other Mac offer the full Windows experience and software.

Please let us know which you choose!
We were reading up on alternatives at the weekend, I quite fancy Red Hat and Fedora. And maybe after thirty years of MS Windows, we'll miss it. However the utter abortions that are Windows 8 and 10 (and MS policy on top) have turned us all against them here. Cheers.

I too would like to leave Windows, let me know what you come up with, Dankie
We'll probably test Linux Fedora and Red Hat, and maybe something else for a while.

I've been using Linux in various flavours for about 6-7 years.
Started of with Ubuntu until the bl**dy awful Unity interface put me right off.
Then used KDE which I really liked.
Currnetly using Mint 18.xx which I'm also pretty happy with

If I didn't have to use MS Word & Excel for my customers, I'd happily use Linux all the time.

I've been using Linux in various flavours for about 6-7 years.
Started of with Ubuntu until the bl**dy awful Unity interface put me right off.
Then used KDE which I really liked.
Currnetly using Mint 18.xx which I'm also pretty happy with

If I didn't have to use MS Word & Excel for my customers, I'd happily use Linux all the time.
What photo editing programs can you use with Mint 18.xx ?