Win 10 upgrade 2018

I've just given in to this "forced" upgrade.

So far OK.

Please put your comments here, good or bad.

I'm using the build, although admittably not a legal copy but an ISO I downloaded which is patched to the latest build.

I had issues before as I was using a dodgy copy and it wouldn't install so after getting fucked off simply wiped my boot drive and the clean install.

Works quite well I must save, is quite stable, and is looking after itself with regards to keeping hardware updated etc, does all the hard for you

I'm using the build, although admittably not a legal copy but an ISO I downloaded which is patched to the latest build.

I had issues before as I was using a dodgy copy and it wouldn't install so after getting fucked off simply wiped my boot drive and the clean install.

Works quite well I must save, is quite stable, and is looking after itself with regards to keeping hardware updated etc, does all the hard for you
Why would you use a dodgy copy? In the "what's to be gained vs what's the potential risk" stakes, the argument very definitely does not cover a few beer tokens for a legit copy. Particularly for serving personnel. Risk your integrity and security clearance in the shitter for a few shekels? John 11:35.

I'm still doing everything I can to avoid Windows 10 but I use a lot of music software and audio drivers which always appear to be flaky.

There are ways of turning the automatic updates off which is what I do with windows 7 and then just do a general update once a month.

I don't see the point of running a hacked copy of an OS. May as well just install a Linux distro.

Currently using the Windows 10 "April" Update. Which came out in May. Obviously. Legally obtained through nefarious means via a purchase of Windows 7 Home (which was authorised by Microsoft online so I'm legit) and upgraded from there. Reasonably fine OS but Microsoft, AMD and Realtek hate me. I've got a Radeon 390x graphics card, which has built-in audio through the HDMI port, but this stops working every time I do a cold boot and I have to install the stand-alone HDMI audio drivers again.

Didn't really notice to be honest. I've turned off everything in Win10 anyway already and use a local login so most of the changes don't affect me. That said, I have a decent broadband connection and turn my PC off regularly so the two main annoyances for updates for many users don't apply.

Honestly, I've thought less about the installed OS with Win10 than with anything since, I think, Win3.1.

Do you mean the April update, finally got that on my work PC yesterday and it seems to have fixed the glitches and crashes of Skype for Business seemingly caused by an earlier update

Do you mean the April update, finally got that on my work PC yesterday and it seems to have fixed the glitches and crashes of Skype for Business seemingly caused by an earlier update
I've never actually used Skype. Is it easy to use?

Why would you use a dodgy copy? In the "what's to be gained vs what's the potential risk" stakes, the argument very definitely does not cover a few beer tokens for a legit copy. Particularly for serving personnel. Risk your integrity and security clearance in the shitter for a few shekels? John 11:35.
Its not as if China would ever hide malware in hooky copies in order to have a snoop around anyone's computer, is it?
Duh.

I've never actually used Skype. Is it easy to use?
Very, the probably is that it can be buggy admitedly it seems to be more of an issue in corporate environments, on my personals PCs I seem to have less problems

For corporate comms I much prefer Slack myself, you can use it as a message board, instant mesenger and for video calls

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Mine took an automated update this week. Did an awful lot more new stuff than normally. As usual, everything updated seamlessly (I learned about XP not to customise the PC too far from what Microsoft could handle).

I suspect a lot of the change was down to the new European legislation, GDPR, General Data Protection Regulation that everybody is getting their knickers in a twist over.

What wasn't MS wanting me to make my data available to them seemed to be to allow different authentication methods for logging on that seemed to me to be more about mobile devices than PCs.

Got a new (well, second-hand, but it's new to me) Lumia 950 phone running Windows 10's latest update. It's fine, apart from the switching itself off almost every time I try to do anything stuff - but I think that that's hardware related. Seems a visit to the shop that sold it is in order.

The OS stuff I think is perfectly acceptable, but the apps selection is pretty poor.

I've got into one of those Windows dead ends.

When I try and manually check Win 10 for updates through settings, I get,

"There were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80070422)"

I have found out that the Windows Update function in Services is disabled (I never switched it off). When I try to enable it it to either 'manual' or 'automatic', I get the error response,

"Access is denied".

As yet, I haven't found a solution. Windows is functioning, but without updates things might become increasingly precarious.

You can upset the updating of Win10 by setting ito a "metered connection". It then asks your permission to update.

I have no problems running Win10 other than some of the ridiculously large updates. As an operating system, I actually quite like it in some respects but:

It's riddled with spyware [there are 20+ settings that I have turned off or disabled]
You can't get rid of bl**dy awful Cortana as it's now integrated with the search function
The native apps are crap
The "live tiles" hog processor and bandwidth [all turned off or disabled]
I have uninstalled lots of the apps
The choice of interface colours is flaky and I can't get the colour combination that I want

I still prefer Windows 7.

"There were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80070422)"

I have found out that the Windows Update function in Services is disabled (I never switched it off). When I try to enable it it to either 'manual' or 'automatic', I get the error response,

"Access is denied".

As yet, I haven't found a solution. Windows is functioning, but without updates things might become increasingly precarious.
If you get "Access is denied". make sure you're logged in with a Administrator account type.
As for your updates problem, click power icon if it says "update and restart" Hold "shift" button
and then click "restart"{ this should force updates}

"Access is denied".

@Provost,
You have probably tried some of these but have a look at
Your Device Is at Risk Because It’s out of Date & Missing Important Security & Quality Updates - MajorGeeks