William Young (RFC) one of the last six WW1 Veterans dies.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by freedomman, Jul 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. HERO

From Torygraph online

"One of Britain's last surviving First World War veterans has died aged 107, leaving only five British survivors of the 1914-18 campaign.

William Young, a former trench-based radio operator, was the last known veteran of the Royal Flying Corps (RFC), the forerunner of the Royal Air Force.

He died in his sleep earlier this week in Perth, Western Australia, where he lived with his wife May and their son.

The eldest of six children, Mr Young was born in Lanarkshire in 1900. After moving from Scotland when he was 13, he enlisted in the RFC on his 18th birthday and trained as a radio operator.

In a memoir dictated for his family, Mr Young described how he narrowly escaped death in France when a German shell exploded three metres from his trench. "A fragment went through my jacket but missed my chest," he said.

In 1998 he was awarded the Legion d'honneur by the French government in recognition of his service there in 1918.

Of the five million British service personnel serving at the end of the First World War, only five are still alive, three of whom live in Britain."

Bit of a short epitaph really - hope to see more on this feller tomorrow perhaps.

I salute you, Sir.
  2. RIP what a brave bloke
  3. Saw the orbit in the Times today.

I didn't know he got interned by the Japs in WW2.

4. What a life and journey, makes you proud to be British.

5. Let's hope he gets a good send-off, proudly borne by those who know the worth of the brave man they carry
  6. R.I.P. Sir

Stand easy.
  7. R.I.P.

"You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
    The hell where youth and laughter go."

'Suicide in the trenches'
    Siegfried Sassoon

8. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

RIP Sir, thank you, thank you, thank you for everything you did.
  9. A true hero. RIP Sir
  10. RIP Sir
  11. RIP Sir. You have the respect of us all.

"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them"
  12. RIP Sir, Thank you for your service to the Nation
  13. RIP Sir. There are no words in the English dictionary to describe what you have done.

I salute you!!
  14. R.I.P Sir