Will you raise a glass tonight, 5th June, at 23:16

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Bravo_Bravo, Jun 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. At 00:16 Double British Summer Time ( 23:16 BST ) on 6th june 1944, D Company 2nd Bn Ox and Bucks plus RE support landed by glider at Benouville ( now Pegasus ) Bridge. The first gilder, piloted by S/Sgt Jim Wallwork, landed 47 meters from the bridge after a 10k glide... It was one of the "most outstanding flying achievements of the war", said Air Chief Marshal Sir Trafford Leigh-Mallory

The battle for the liberation of Europe had begun.

• Like Like x 10
  2. I'll raise a beer to them.

3. Happy and proud to salute all those brave men.

4. I salute them all,,cheers......

5. And just one of the exploits of the finest battalion the British Army ever raised! It was, after all, them that did for the Frog Guard at Waterloo and the Kraut Guard at First Ypres.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

Salute but no drink alas- the vet has me off the sauce and on some fecking horrible pills. I visited Pegasus Bridge as a kid, and even though I didn't really get the full implications I have to say I was humbled and impressed by the bravery needed to get in a plywood glider and then get shot at afterwards.

7. i haven't had a drink in over a month due to training and my upcoming ADSC. But i will raise a small whiskey to these incredible men.

i was over in France last March with a pal covering the Normandy Landings, Pegasus Bridge being a stop off. Its amazing just how close they got to the bridge. The gun emplacement they completely flanked, and the ensuing fighting. A true achievement in skill, courage and a hell of a lot of luck!

only down side was the cafe over the river charging 7euros for a ****ing ham and cheese baguette. Her property may have been the first house in France liberated from ze nazi's but that's still day light robbery!! Good memorabilia though, and the Pegasus Bridge Museum was quality.

8. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

Indeed I will. Brave men.

9. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

I'll drink a toast to them, and thank them, but also make a nod towards the poor sods who had already been fighting in Italy since January 1944. Italy is also in Europe ;-)

• Like Like x 4
  10. No question. To all Operation Overlord veterans, Thank you.

11. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

I'd extend that massive thank you to all WW2 veterans. My German isn't very good :)

In fact that gives me a reason to leave my Jubilee Bunting rigged for another day or so.

12. Indeed! The D Day Dodgers!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Was working in Normandy with 3 (UK) Div in '94 for the 50th anniversary. Meeting the veterans who made the pilgrimage, many for the first time since the war ended, was an honour and something I will never forget. These heroes will get a raised glass from me tonight

14. phil245

phil245 LE Book Reviewer

Will definatly raise a glass to all ww2 veterans, especialy the D-Dodgers.