Will you raise a glass tonight, 5th June, at 23:16 hours...

At 00:16 Double British Summer Time ( 23:16 BST ) on 6th june 1944, D Company (reinforced by two platoons from B Company) 2nd Bn Oxf and Bucks plus RE support landed by glider at Benouville ( now Pegasus ) Bridge. The first gilder, piloted by S/Sgt Jim Wallwork, landed 47 meters from the bridge after a 10k glide...

It was one of the "most outstanding flying achievements of the war", said Air Chief Marshal Sir Trafford Leigh-Mallory

The battle for the liberation of Europe had begun.

A few whiskeys at H Hour probably on my own, Mrs DT will be in her scratcher by then.

At 00:16 Double British Summer Time ( 23:16 BST ) on 6th june 1944, D Company (reinforced by two platoons from B Company) 2nd Bn Oxf and Bucks plus RE support landed by glider at Benouville ( now Pegasus ) Bridge. The first gilder, piloted by S/Sgt Jim Wallwork, landed 47 meters from the bridge after a 10k glide...

It was one of the "most outstanding flying achievements of the war", said Air Chief Marshal Sir Trafford Leigh-Mallory

I have a special Whisky for such occasions ... and there will be less in the bottle tomorrow morning .

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I have a nice whiskey in my decanter. I shall pour a glass or two.

'Ham and Jam'

I'll raise a glass tonight, and I hope the protestors lay off the events today

Without those brave men we'd be living in a fascist state, and they wouldn't have the right to throw milkshakes at people they disagree with, and assault elderly Trump supporters

It doesn't matter how many times I read or watch anything to to with the attack on Benouville, I am still gobsmacked at how they got the 3 gliders so close in the dark!
And to think It was just one of many brave and unbelievable feats carried out that night.
We cannot allow these feats to fade into history onnce the last few survivors are gone.

That, Sir, is the finest suggestion you have made on Arrse.

What would be the most appropriate tipple?

hotel_california

LE
Book Reviewer
It doesn't matter how many times I read or watch anything to to with the attack on Benouville, I am still gobsmacked at how they got the 3 gliders so close in the dark!
And to think It was just one of many brave and unbelievable feats carried out that night.
We cannot allow these feats to fade into history once the last few survivors are gone.
Indeed. Air Chief Marshal Leigh-Mallory, of the RAF said of it "the most outstanding flying achievements of the war".

Pob02

LE
Book Reviewer
Up the Ox & Bucks!
A glass will certainly be raised.

Wonder if I can persuade my SWMBO to give me a BJ while I grip a packet of ham in one hand and a jar of jam in the other?

“Hold until relieved!”

:-D

The annual date for Ox & Bucks, the RE, and the Glider Pilot's Regiment, to be rightly proud of taking the bridge.

@Bravo_Bravo, am I right in thinking that the loss of mortars and radios by 7 Para during their drop brought the introduction of 'Must Go' loads with white patches, visible at night? I seem to recall someone telling me that a long time ago.

I will drink to every poor bastard who was involved. Be it the Airborne going in for a hot drop or the legs and everyone else trying to secure a contested beachhead.

Granted I would have hated to be in the 1st ID or the 29th on Omaha.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
I will drink to every poor bastard who was involved. Be it the Airborne going in for a hot drop or the legs and everyone else trying to secure a contested beachhead.

Granted I would have hated to be in the 1st ID or the 29th on Omaha.
I'll drink to that.