Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Will you raise a glass tonight, 5th June, at 23:16 hours...

I've been married to Madame for a long time and know by now which battles I can win and which ones I can't.

I'll do a deal with you - you argue the toss with Madame Mnairb and I'll crack open a can of Lidl extra strong (black can, only available in France) and sit back and watch the fun.

No thanks, I'll pass on that one; but enjoy your bière anyway! I'm sure there are others on the forum who'd enjoy the idea of wind-milling with Madame, particularly if you can provide pictures.

I was lucky enough to meet "Tich" who was a member of the Coup De Main at a book signing of Major Howards Diarys by his daughter at Bletchley Park.

I had a few pints with them and bought a book signed by them and Penny which I then auctioned off for charity.

I wish I had bought 2 books now but I had spent all my spare cash on buying Tich beer. [emoji16]

The one thing I remember most was the piss taking they did out of each other, it was like seeing how I would be with my muckers if I'm ever fortunate to get to that age.

Tippy tapping from my Samsung using Tapatalk

Regarding things airborne or airmobile, I wonder sometimes at the testicular fortitude of 19 year old draftees being choppered into hot LZs in the Vietnam
War. They must have had a not too dissimilar experience to glider borne troops of yore. Better blokes than me, that's for sure.

Better still, think of the pilots of said choppers, they were in front of the troops and in a lot of cases were not much older.
ETA
These young pilots were in a lot of cases draftees themselves but with sufficient education and with the correct medical clearance to be tested as helicopter pilot trainees.
They also had a very strong desire not to be walking about on the ground and engaging in firefights (and who could blame them)

Last edited:
Regarding things airborne or airmobile, I wonder sometimes at the testicular fortitude of 19 year old draftees being choppered into hot LZs in the Vietnam
War. They must have had a not too dissimilar experience to glider borne troops of yore. Better blokes than me, that's for sure.

Indeed, and 19 year olds today seek 'safe spaces' from debate on University campuses

Watched Yesterday channel (19 on Freeview) for most of yesterday well untill 2100 hrs. Started from the build up,Operation Overlord and the Day after D Day. Have to admit I was in admiration of those then 18/19/20+ year olds. Sad to see the 90+ year olds today remembering 'Mates' and breaking down at their Headstones. We today certainly have no right to moan.
RIP AT THE FRV ALL

Just read that Frank Bourlet ( No 1 Glider) passed away earlier this month. Last veteran of the glider assault on the bridge.
RIP.