Will you raise a glass tonight 5 june, at 23:16

At 00:16 Double British Summer Time ( 23:16 BST ) on 6th june 1944, D Company 2nd Bn Ox and Bucks landed by glider at Benouville ( now Pegasus ) Bridge.

The battle for the liberation of Europe had begun.

I shall indeed salute all those who took part in Operation Overlord.

A magnificent feat of arms.

I feel a bottle of Damn Fine Shiraz will be consumed.

To all the Men and Women who fell in the cause of freedom from the tyranny of the Nazi Germany - I salute you!

Utrinique Paratus

Every man an emperor

It will have to be Budweiser but I think the sentiment is there!

Didnt need to ask old boy. A fine port and a cuban fresh from the humidor

F

fozzy

Bravo_Bravo said:
At 00:16 Double British Summer Time ( 23:16 BST ) on 6th june 1944, D Company 2nd Bn Ox and Bucks landed by glider at Benouville ( now Pegasus ) Bridge.

The greatest day in History?? Very probably.

I will raise a glass or three in honour to those that went before us.

Bravo_Bravo said:

You can see why many a veteran feels a little bitter. So much is made of Overlord that those who slogged their way up the boot of Italy for almost 2 years feel forgotten and ignored.

The battle for the liberation of Western Europe began on the 9th July 1943 in Sicily or the 3rd Sept '43 on the Italian mainland.

So this year, for a change. Raise your glasses to Alexander's 'D-Day dodgers' and the 49,259 that are buried in Italy.

cdo_gunner said:
Bravo_Bravo said:

You can see why many a veteran feels a little bitter. So much is made of Overlord that those who slogged their way up the boot of Italy for almost 2 years feel forgotten and ignored.

The battle for the liberation of Western Europe began on the 9th July 1943 in Sicily or the 3rd Sept '43 on the Italian mainland.

So this year, for a change. Raise your glasses to Alexander's 'D-Day dodgers' and the 49,259 that are buried in Italy.
You put it excellently, god rest them all.

Glass will be charged ,
to our heroic predecessors .

WW

and stuff the nurse and her pills

pupgreen said:
who was the first casualty,,of d day.
One of the Ox and Bucks lads drowned when exiting the glider - sorry, name escapes me.. first KIA Lt Den Bretheridge.

This reminded me of a post I made a while ago here.
BFG 9000 said:
Greetings all,

I recently had the pleasure of meeting Penny Bates - the daughter of Major John Howard DSO.
She's written a book based on the diaries of her father, it's due to be published in September.

The Pegasus Diaries
ISBN : 1-84415-446-7
Available on pre-order from Amazon

Here's a shot of the dust cover (click for a larger version).

TTFN

BFG
EDITED to correct url in post

Bravo_Bravo said:
pupgreen said:
who was the first casualty,,of d day.
One of the Ox and Bucks lads drowned when exiting the glider - sorry, name escapes me.. first KIA Lt Den Bretheridge.
having read John Howard's book (recently published called " The Pegasus Diaries"), he makes no mention of anyone drowning on exiting a Glider. Lt Dennis Brotheridge is listed as the first casualty on D-Day, shot in the neck whilst crossing the bridge.