Will you raise a glass tonight 5 june, at 23:16.

At 00:16 Double British Summer Time ( 23:16 BST ) on 6th june 1944, D Company 2nd Bn Ox and Bucks landed by glider at Benouville ( now Pegasus ) Bridge.

Operation OVERLORD had begun

The RAF called it the greatest feat of tactical flying of the war. That's very magnanimous of them - I can't imagine the Army giving praise like that to the RAF these days, even when deserved.

Pegasus Bridge is a quite an extraordinary place to visit - and it's my favourite part of 'The Longest Day'!

Been to the bridge a few times - the AAC always have a cracking turnout, shame the Rifles - descendants of the OXF & BUCKS - don't. Even saw AAC helping with food at the Cafe Gondree.

The clip from The Longest Day showing the assault is interesting for a number pf reasons - first, it was obviously filmed at the bridge, and you get an idea as to the astonishing level of skill shown by the late S/Sgt Wallwork, GPR, who landed his glider 47 metres from the bridge.

Second, Major Howard, who was ( as most know) i/c the coup de main party was played by Richard Todd - who dropped with 7 ( Light Infantry ) PARA in support of the Coup de Main party.

P_G - did you ever get to meet Jim Wallwork?

Never been and residing in Canada as I do, unlikely to unfortunately. Agree with all the comments above - top job done by brave people.

In a TV programme a couple of years ago I saw the training film created using models so the Pilots could watch time and time again their approach to get it right on the day ( night ) of the race ... a critical task magnificently executed .

The model used to be in the Airborne Forces Museum in Aldershite, I presume its gone to Colchester?

Amazingly detailed, PR flights daily so if the Germans cut down a tree, the model would be updated next day. About 12 foot square.

Been to the bridge a few times - the AAC always have a cracking turnout, shame the Rifles - descendants of the OXF & BUCKS - don't. Even saw AAC helping with food at the Cafe Gondree.

The clip from The Longest Day showing the assault is interesting for a number pf reasons - first, it was obviously filmed at the bridge, and you get an idea as to the astonishing level of skill shown by the late S/Sgt Wallwark, GPR, who landed his glider 47 metres from the bridge.

Second, Major Howard, who was ( as most know) i/c the coup de main party was played by Richard Todd - who dropped with 7 ( Light Infantry ) PARA in support of the Coup de Main party.

P_G - did you ever get to meet Jim Wallwark?
Wallwork I think

And my uncle (who is happily still alive). Although I think that he was actually D+2, so I might have to wait a couple of days. Nah... **** it.

J

Joshua Slocum

did you read about the guys that threw a stuffed stags head out before jumping ? they liberated it from the pub
great fellows the lot of them
cheers

Yes I did, he was at Arnhem, Auntie Stella and I ensured he didnt buy a drink all day, we got him thoroughly shitfaced.

He did Market garden, sicily and a few others on top of Pegasus Bridge, lived his life out in Vancouver.

The GPR blokes were a special breed, a horsa was a flying garden shed with a tricycle bolted underneath it with the aerodynamic qualities of a bin bag full of Muller light.

To be able to land one, at night, metres from the target was either massively skillful or the biggest fluke of the war.

Nails, all of em

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
I had the honour of meeting a couple of pegasus veterans a few years ago - to my shame i cant remember the name, but one was the guy who decided to be the anti tank gunner, mentioned in Steve Ambroses book. Proud to have shook his hand.

Its well past time for a quality BoB-style retelling of that tale - maybe a two parter detailing the training all the way through to the attack and subsequent defence.

Sgt "Wagger" Thornton. Was at the renaming of John Howard TAC.

Latest Threads