Will you raise a glass sunday 5 june, at 23:16.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Bravo_Bravo, Jun 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. At 00:16 Double British Summer Time ( 23:16 BST ) on 6th june 1944, D Company 2nd Bn Ox and Bucks landed by glider at Benouville ( now Pegasus ) Bridge.

The battle for the liberation of Europe had begun.
  2. i will with pride
  3. @ the moving Mod - I've asked the same thing for four years in current affairs, seems to me to be the best place.
  4. Up the Ox and Bucks!
  5. . . . . . and the GPR
  6. Will be proudly standing beside my husband at the Midnight ceremony on Glider Landing Zone, tomorrow night. The ceremony starts at 2330 (local time) at Pegasus Bridge, we will be joining Arlette Gondrée and fellow French veterans at Café Gondree from 2100hours, any ARRSER present please make yourselves known to us, you will be very welcome.The ceremony will be followed by "vin d'honneur" and a firework display.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RE and Scalies...
  8. Ham and Jam all round.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I will.

My paternal Grandad was Oxs and Bucks. No idea if he was 2nd Bat though although I know he was gazzeted to the Regiment and met my Nan in hospital after breaking both legs (she was a nurse natch)

So even if he was line rather than 2nd I'll raise a glass

(anyone got any pointers on tracing history on him actualy. Great soldier from what I heard but not a good husband so I know very little about him. Today we'd say he had PTSD)
  10. Can this go back to the original loc, Mods?
  11. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I won't confine my thanks to any particular Regiment or Corps or Army but raise my virtual glass to all the allies involved on D-Day and indeed during the whole of that war.
  12. Seems very few care in the UK. Probably the reflection of the mod. I think this should still be in Current Affairs.

I try to think of all those who went in on Overlord and those who came after.
  13. I had the privalege and honour to meet the late Mme Gondree in 1975-6 when we went to recover the tank that now sits outside the museum at Beneuville. I also met the daughters who of course were much younger then. Mme Gondree was a marvellous lady and looked after not only me, and a Cpl from the QRIH, but when the RE arrived to take the wreck back to BAOR for restoration, she provided copious quantiities of beer. The RE lads were a tad upset with the LIVE mortar bombs sitting on the shelves in the main cafe and the LIVE sweating .303 rounds that she kindly brought up from the cellar to show us. Still, a little 'bang' by the riverside sorted that out.
    THe Welsh RUFC Supported arrived on our last day and one of the supporters was on the Pegasus landing and he and Mme Gondree shared a tearful re-union and, being welsh, the coach had copious amounts of barrels of beer whcih they kindly shared and we had a whip-round for Mme Gondree's generosity with her beers.
    35 years later, it is still a memory I enjoy of meeting a GREAT lady. I will have a drink for her tomorrw night and also for Maj Howard who I also met at a presentation in Aylesbury TAC some years ago.
  14. I rarely need an excuse to raise a glass, but this is one good reason to do it.
  15. I will definately raise a literal glass or two to all those we owe so much too!
    On a slightly more personal note I was just about 5 years old on D Day and lived with my Grandparents about 100 yds from the dock gates in a S. Wales port and vaguely remember seeing loads of Military convoys going into the docks. My Gran was on the committee of one of those "look after/entertain troops" organisations and we had Yanks, Canadian & British troops round for tea & bickies on many occasions, some of whom kept in touch with my Gran until her Death in the 60's! I remember her being very upset when she learnt that some of the Yanks we had entertained had been lost on D Day! I didn't realise much in those days and was more interested in scrounging gum or chocolate from them, we were lucky in the fact that the troops would often bring tinned fruit or meat as a present for my Gran, it made a pleasant change from wartime rations!!