Will we still.....

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Mr_d, Jul 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. One of the lads at my TAC will be starting Catterick in 4 weeks to join the Regs. He recently told me that the regular army has only 300 vacancies remaining. If this is true, will the regs be scaling down TA deployment in the near future?
  2. msr

msr LE

That is the $64,000 question.
  3. Any chance I can "Ask the audience"
  4. It'll depend on your capbadge/ trade - from an AMS perspective, the Regular cadre is of limited size, so we'll still be going on a regular (with a small "r") basis.
  5. Reason why I ask this is because in the past few years the TA has been used to fill huge gaps in the regular army. The TA has done an excellent job in assisting the regular army on herrick and telic with some TA guys losing there lives. I have a good feeling that TA deployment will be scaled down in the future.

As for the capbadge, im RAMC CMT and an ODP for the NHS in skivve street.
  6. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Assume the army reaches 100% manning, then for deployable numbers remove:

1. Those medically downgraded and unsuitable for deployment

2. Those on career courses

3. Those unable to deploy on compassionate grounds

etc, etc, etc. Those are the gaps that the TA is positioned to fill. 100% on paper never equals 100% ready to pick up a bergan and rifle to go on ops.
  7. Scaled down? - Yes

Erased? - No (for the reasons cited in the Duke's post but also because future plans incorporate a mandatory element of reserve in each deployed cadre (to maintain utility))
  8. msr

msr LE

Plus those War Fighting Establishment (WFE) posts e.g. watchkeepers, who only exist, surprisingly enough, when units deploy.

9. I remember my old man telling me that back in the recession in the early 90's the army had the problem with recruits passing there phase 1 training but then having to wait for 6 - 8 months before they got on there trade course because the system couldn't pump the guys through quick enough.