Will UK send additioal troops to Afghanistan?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Jan 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=258648

This extract was from a US National Post Article. Full article can be read on the link.

To the west, Britain leads a deployment of 7,753 with its Danish and Australian partners. To the east, the U.S. has 15,000 soldiers with help from Turkey, to be bolstered later this year by another 3,500 U.S. Marines.

Poland has pledged another 400 more pilots and combat soldiers this year. Norway will bolster its 500 troops by another 150 this spring. The Dutch have locked in their 1,500 soldiers until 2010. And the Brits are expected to divert even more troops into Afghanistan from Iraq later this year.

2. Good find, I thought was good, maybe a bit canuck bashing, but maybe i got the wrong end of the stick?

3. Minor point. The National Post is a Canadian paper.

It is referencing this story: http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=255563

Many Canadians feel that they're doing more than their share of the work in Afghanistan while certain other NATO countries are limited to the safer areas of the country.

4. Have we got any spare troops, the next thing will be the police guarding the palaces, sorry i forgot they might be on strike

5. Reading between the lines, and having until recently been looking at this issue, I'd suggest that the answer is no for the duration of the current PM...

6. Is there something you want to tell us Jim?

7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Quite possibly so. This time, it's the Canadians get stick from some idiot septic! tut tut.

8. Wow, it amazes me how misinformed thsese people are.

9. Got to admit this isn't the best spin - the fact is that the Dutch go in 2010 with zero chance of an extension and the Norwegians aren't actually doing anything particularly useful. What we need is OMLT's to get out and train the military and then we need trainers for the ANP.

10. Should we rather than will we.....

The troops need to have down time..

11. the Poles are sending an aviation regiment equipped with Mi-18 and Mi 24.

These beasts may re-appear in the skies over Afghanistan after an unlamented absence;
    [​IMG]

What's the Polish for Hearts and Minds?

Black
    --

12. If they keep calling up extra British troops we'll soon have the Chelsea Pensioners defending us how about our NATO Allies from Europe sending more troops