Will this government honour the triple lock as promesed ?

will goverment honour the triple lock pension

• Yes

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • no course not lying gits .

Votes: 35 81.4%

• Total voters

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Well troops I of pension age an I died for this country ( well I gave my liver for it .) so I 'm looking for a straw poll to see if you think we will or wont get the promised pension rise.

I f we dont will you vote differently , take it on the chin or join a pensioners protest .

Fat POM

War Hero
Rishi has already said it is unlikely to be honoured. Boris said it would be. I have written to my MP and advised him that if the Manifesto pledge is broken then so will my lifetime record of voting tory. I asked him to raise the matter with the relevant Minister.

I received a form reply telling me what a wonderful chap he was and what a marvellous job he is doing.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
As a pensioner I would like the triple lock to remain, but I do understand that we have been through a very expensive pandemic. The money borrowed by the Treasury has to be repaid somehow so if changes are made to the pre Covid manifesto then I will understand.

This is just the sort of balancing act which makes or breaks Chancellors and PMs.

As a pensioner I would like the triple lock to remain, but I do understand that we have been through a very expensive pandemic. The money borrowed by the Treasury has to be repaid somehow so if changes are made to the pre Covid manifesto then I will understand.

This is just the sort of balancing act which makes or breaks Chancellors and PMs.

You make promises because they are difficult to keep, not because they are convenient until you find the need to break them.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
You make promises because they are difficult to keep, not because they are convenient until you find the need to break them.
So, you promise your Missus a new kitchen, then some twat totals your car, which you need for work. You have money to buy one or 'tother.

What do you do?

So, you promise your Missus a new kitchen, then some twat totals your car, which you need for work. You have money to buy one or 'tother.

What do you do?

A runner!;)

Someone has to pay for the MP's pay rises.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer

What do you do?

drive to work in a kitchen?

or

1627760699521.png

Either way it goes, I will not really feel it until the ever young Mrs.B&B retires, a few years to go yet.
She is subsidizing this poor old chap quite royally, thank you.

cowgoesmoo

Old-Salt
Given that the wage growth driving the pension rise has been artificially created by the mass destruction of low-paid jobs during the lockdown introduced to keep pensioners alive, and the record highs in property and stock prices benefiting mainly pensioners, maybe spare a thought for the young and low paid and drop the demand for a massive increase in pensions - I think the rest of the country has done more than enough for the old over the last year

I become a pensioner officially in October. It would have been last year but this seedy bunch of chancers that we call a government raised the retirement age by a year for people born in my age bracket.

In times of a national crises and this pandemic does fit the bill to a large degree, I think we all have to bite the bullet so to speak. So ordinarily, I’d say I’m contributing to the common good and we must stick together.

For me though, there is a very significant reason for being unhappy with the possibility of old age pensions being reduced by the government.

The coronavirus pandemic has pretty much largely been an excuse for the largest giveaway of public funds to Conservative supporters in living memory. Billions have been handed over to people who’s sole qualification for supplying items such as PPE and other essentials has been their affiliation to the Conservatives in one way or another.

The government put the message out to their friends that if they want fast track preferential treatment for juicy multi million pound contracts, have a chat with their link to the party, it could be an MP, a Lord or even an advisor to the government and boris is your uncle, you’re in!

They even set up a fast track phone number for them to get in on the act.

People with the right connections to the Conservatives have made staggering amounts of money. Enough to keep themselves and their families in absolute luxury for hundreds of years to come!

The upshot is that ordinary people like pensioners are now being forced to pay for this largess by the government to their mates by having the pensions that they have paid in for all their working lives significantly reduced.

So to summarise, a selected portion of friends of the government get extremely wealthy and we all pay for it. So I personally think they should claw the money back and leave the pensioners alone.

Of course, we all know what this government is going to actually do. It isn’t the people with unexpected extremely large bank accounts who are going to pay the price!

Last edited:
Does anyone trust any government to keep any of its promises?

Fat POM

War Hero
Given that the wage growth driving the pension rise has been artificially created by the mass destruction of low-paid jobs during the lockdown introduced to keep pensioners alive, and the record highs in property and stock prices benefiting mainly pensioners, maybe spare a thought for the young and low paid and drop the demand for a massive increase in pensions - I think the rest of the country has done more than enough for the old over the last year
Except you can't eat property and not many pensioners have massive stock holdings. Wages have been artificially low for years topped up by benefits. Also a lot of people have been getting paid to stay at home. Not just to protect pensioners.

Except you can't eat property and not many pensioners have massive stock holdings. Wages have been artificially low for years topped up by benefits. Also a lot of people have been getting paid to stay at home. Not just to protect pensioners.
For how many people that contributed to the coffers during a working life, is the state pension their only income in retirement? I really don't know the answer to this and would be genuinely interested.

The index used to calculate the rise (Average wage increases) is artificially showing 8%. This is because many people were on furlough in April last year or even out of work. Many of those had returned to work this April and the index A/B is therefore 1.08. Last year the same index was somewhere around -(Minus) 5.7%. Pensioners didn't take a 5.7% cut though as the magic +2.5% (No matter what) threshold came into play. That 8% isn't the underlying rate, it is a statistical fluke.

For me, a state pension rise of 2.5% is fair to everyone. CPI is sitting at 2.4% as of June 2021 so pensioners gain a little in net terms, but taxpayers are not being pillaged because of a statistical anomaly. 12.6% of the UK population were in receipt of state pensions in August 2019 and that is a lot of money if the rise is 8%, roughly £9.2Bn per year. Remember, that £9.2Bn has to be paid every year from now on.

Mil pensions, for example, are indexed to the CPI in September each year. In 2020 this was 0.8% and that's the amount by which your mil pension rose in April this year. No triple lock for those pensions.

I'm a pensioner and am prepared to give up the triple lock as a contribution to getting the finances of this country back on an even keel. As long as everyone else pays the same, and I mean everyone, workers, benefits claimants, MPs and all those rich buggers who made a fortune only to offshore it for tax purposes. :cool:

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
In a supposedly 'first world' country the age for OAP is continually increased and hence much greater than other countries. The average OAP is much less than many other countries.
It seems the Conservatives are just going back to their Tory image. After all, having just had a very high cost pandemic couple of years there are now plans to increase the energy bills for everyone while most people just will not be able to afford heat pumps and electric cars.
Planning now seems to favour property developers and not communities,
At the same time, apparently, the MPs need a substantial pay rise.
I have written to the Prime Minister, stating my concerns but needless to say there has not even been acknowledgement from his "team", let alone a reply.

Whatever anyone's feelings on the subject may be, everything will be tighter from now. Inflation rising, fuel costs rising, all the usual belt-tightening by all the usual corporations - we're all going to have to make do with less. Not helped by Governmental commitments to look Green, either. If anyone knows what the Chinese, Indian and African commitments to fewer tons of CO2 belching into the atmosphere are, let me know.

Meanwhile, the trillions of pennies we've just borrowed and spent keeping our folks alive and not rioting for food have to be repaid. I suspect there'll be a radical fiscal readjustment at some point in the next ten years, and together with Scotland/Northern Ireland/EU being obtuse on what nationhood actually means, could entail us all being a lot poorer in our dotage.

Latest Threads