Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will this BLM shit never end.....

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Black coppers were called that years ago.
My dad walked up and chatted to Norwell Roberts, as a youngster he was the first black copper I had ever seen
a really nice bubbly chap who loved his job
he had a really difficult time with some of racist stupid element in the police force, but he held his head high and came through it
nowadays thankfully things have changed, you dont notice a copper for the colour of his skin
hes just another cop
later on we had a west indian policewoman in our area
she sparkled, but nobody messed her about and she could hold her own with the local yobs
I think she grew up with 4 huge brothers

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
This is a myth. Life at sea was hard, but so was life at land. The majority of the ships' companies in Nelson's time were volunteers, many of them seeing the Navy as preferable to farm labouring or crewing cargo ships. Some volunteered due to the threat from France and Spain.

Some volunteer sailors came from Africa or the Carribean and later settled in Britain. The point is that the press gang was never as useful or was widely used as myths suggest. I have no idea when you suggest they were not paid.
They were paid at the end of their stint or end of ships commision or perhaps, if lucky enough they received some prize money. After Trafalgar seamen received a mere 4 pence each. It was not an easy life!

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Coming from South London, I never noticed black people as they were part of society, in the same way chinese people were
moving to gloucestershire I didnt see as many black people, but in 40 years its changed , and well all seem to get on ok
however recently we have had advertising that places black people prominently in the fore
that probably does more to encourage casual racism than any thing else
sign on to my BT email, handsome looking black fella
advert for BT two fellas one black, both gay
some other advert two lasses in bed one black
it seems like target have to be hit, but it wont make any difference to the vast majority of people of either colour

They were paid at the end of their stint or end of ships commision or perhaps, if lucky enough they received some prize money. After Trafalgar seamen received a mere 4 pence each. It was not an easy life!

At least they had all you can eat Weevils, not the sort of buffet that would be palatable today I imagine

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
I think it reprehensible and an audacity that the new American Senate in 1778 after independence, saw fit to complain to King George regarding British 'Men 'o' War' press ganging young Americans from off their Atlantic coast... Bloody Upstarts!!! quite shocking!

Last edited:

endure

GCM
This is a myth. Life at sea was hard, but so was life at land. The majority of the ships' companies in Nelson's time were volunteers, many of them seeing the Navy as preferable to farm labouring or crewing cargo ships.

One benefit of being a merchant seaman was that you weren't subject to the Articles of War unlike your RN counterparts.

E2A The Articles of War

Last edited:

Yokel

LE

Nobody has ever said it was easy - but working on a farm or in a merchant ship was not fun either! The point is they were mostly volunteers, and did get pay - of sorts. If they really had all been press ganged then it is unlikely they would have had the discipline to train to be a battle winning force.

Last edited:
Coming from South London, I never noticed black people as they were part of society, in the same way chinese people were
moving to gloucestershire I didnt see as many black people, but in 40 years its changed , and well all seem to get on ok
however recently we have had advertising that places black people prominently in the fore
it seems like target have to be hit, but it wont make any difference to the vast majority of people of either colour

Insidious, isn't it? The two birds in bed are on the Virgin ad and I did think why?

Then the new president of CBI, the bloke who brought Cobra beer to Britain, seems to think the state of British industry at the moment, what with Covid - looming debts - unemployment on the horizon doesn't need training or investment. No, he reckons that it needs more "diversity" and that all the FTSE 350 companies should be made to have at least one person of colour on the board. That'll get the UK out of the proverbial.

Lord Bilimoria

Insidious, isn't it? The two birds in bed are on the Virgin ad and I did think why?

Then the new president of CBI, the bloke who brought Cobra beer to Britain, seems to think the state of British industry at the moment, what with Covid - looming debts - unemployment on the horizon doesn't need training or investment. No, he reckons that it needs more "diversity" and that all the FTSE 350 companies should be made to have at least one person of colour on the board. That'll get the UK out of the proverbial.

Lord Bilimoria

If companies painted a board member to look like an Oompa Loompa would that fix the lack of a person of colour on the board?

ste14w

War Hero
A black BBC female DJ said effectively the same thing on The Media Show R4 a month back

Amol Rajan: "How often do you experience racism?"
DJ: "Everyday, without fail, it's every day!"
Amol Rajan: "Wow, really . . . . . . "

No challenging, no examples, no specifics. It was quite nauseating and clearly she's lying or has some mental super ability to see racism that no one else can
I think that a lot of people have that ability these days. Interestingly enough many of them are white people with an amazing sixth sense that allows them to get offended on behalf of somebody else from two miles away. Luckily I have the ability to tell them to f**k off and go about my business, caring not a jot.

The context is not, as per the thread title BLM, but actually Black history month, and revisiting history is a good thing, whether you agree with what happened or not.
We seem to have been reliving Black History month for the past few years - it’s never ending!

We seem to have been reliving Black History month for the past few years - it’s never ending!

True, but I can't remember see Black slave traders being mentioned, should it be mentioned on Black Pound Day to make up for it?

My black heroes would be the West Coast slave traders who kidnapped their fellow Africans to sell for profit. Fantastic entrepreneurial role models. Bravo.
But but shirley you have that wrong?
It was a old wooden boat crewed by about 20 sturdy English sea dogs who regularly parked up In the harbour went ashore and subdued a hundred or two black chaps put them In chains and took them off to Brizzle or America or somewhere and flogged them off for a couple of quid. Easy money.

I would contend however that, it is creating perhaps some unintended consequence, and that is putting peoples backs up... Not all of them either can be dismissed as being bigots. Sadly the heart of any racial theory critical or otherwise is to make everything about race, and some are are certainly putting that front and centre be it random advertising or political policy.

As I say perhaps it is a unintended consequence, however I find it hard to believe some is not deliberately being done. Perhaps there is an element of the 'road to hell being paved with good intentions', but that certainly cannot account for it all. I challenge anyone to say what is happening in "make everything about race" is of any good for social or societal cohesion. Rather it is driving some who 'didn't care' about immutable characteristics to care, and not in a positive way.

Being that I have, been around a bit like many of us in both military and civilian life. Likely we have come across all sorts some good some bad, of all shades of the Dulux colour chart, be they men or women. I suspect like many of us also, I been at times in the majority and also at times in the minority, and have seen discrimination and been discriminated against. Like it or not its part of life.

The drivers of discrimination are plentiful and some of them are good some are bad. One thing though is that we as humans discriminate for a reason and daily. Context and critical thinking is everything and that is what is missing in most of the stuff being thrown up today. Particularly by those who buy into and or encourage the adoption of 'Critical Race Theory'.

Together with Mein Kampf, Mao's little Red Book and other assorted postmodernist poisonous 'waste of trees'. Many of today's authors of 'critical racial theory' are it seems nothing more than a collection of communist misfits, those suffering from a serious lack of cognitive skills or are snake oil selling grifters.

What concerns me is the unopposed adoption of 'critical racial theory' as a legitimate subject, by some institutions of governance and commercial concerns. Concerning is that it's not all because of H.R. Dept. Being full of over promoted ammo donkeys either.

It is dangerous and the woo science bunkum being pushed into every facet of life is also dangerous. Frankly at best this will soon pass and then be looked back with derision and scorn, at worst it will continue too encourage conflict, and we all know how that is likely to end... I dont have any skin in this game, but I rather hope to be wrong.