Will They Have Me?

Discussion in 'RAC' started by hotel_60, Feb 3, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I served for 6 years in the Royal Engineers, left in 2001 and am currently deployed as an ex-regular reservist on Op Telic. At the grand old age of 28 I am currently applying to re-enlist into the regular army...but here's the thing...

I'd really like to join the QRH but notice that the upper age limit for the RAC is 26 years and 11 months and I'm obviously above this by a year or so. I'm a bit worried that I'd be wasting my time applying for the QRH just to get turned down on age grounds. So can anyone tell me what the manning situation is like in the RAC at the moment, whether the upper age limit is ever broken for re-enlisters or, better yet, suggest someone in the QRH or RAC that I could talk this over with?

Thanks very much for your advice. Feel free to PM me if this thread is just too boring for general consumption :wink:

2. You've got a pm!

3. I don't know what Spud has told you mate but for people who are already trained up the rule can be broken. You should contact QRH, HHQ or go to any QRH recruiting office and sound them out.

4. Gdav-What squadron?were you a black pig?

5. Cheers for the help and advice to all who PM'd me (especially Spud). Will definitely pursue this one...

To be complete honest (and at the risk of looking like a bit of a fairy :wink:) I had considered re-enlisting into something REMFy rather than back into an Arm for the simple fact that, if Bovington 2006 is anything like Gib Bks 1995 then I'll tip up there cacking myself! I'm not as fit as I was at 17 and spit-and-polish really ain't my bag. But, screw it, if something is worth doing then it's worth a bit of pain and sacrifice. That said, can anyone give my the lowdown on what phase 2 at Bovi is actually like?

6. Hi Spud - no mate, I was big C for most of my time and then 18 months with HQ Sqn when Pinky was still OC.

Which Spud are you? Don't tell me you're going to sing "Running Bear"???

7. I have to admit, joining the Black Watch does do a lot for the environment. It keeps the sheep round Dundee and Forfar safe from sexual predators.

8. It's been a long time since I did Phase 2 but from memory it was both interesting and great craic. 4 weeks Radio and 6 weeks D&M in my case. If they offer you a chance to skip it and go straight to RD tell them to piss off because without your trades you'll finish up in MT for the rest of your days.

9. Spit and polish is something that stopped me re-enlisting (and a lot of debts) was on Telic 6 with 26. They asked a few times if I would consider re-enlisting but TBH things have changed to much! Am also 28, so guess what GDav is saying is true about the ages.

10. I did see guys doing it in the 70's and 80's and I know they're gagging to get good guys who've left. I'm always conscious that rules might have changed however so tread carefully is my advice but gut feeling is they'll take the guy.