Will there still be a HM Armed Forces still in existence?

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by Knightwars4, Aug 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. To be more concise and to more appropriately address my concern; will there still be an Army by the time I've completed my studies and able to apply for the Army?

Would it still have the some operational capabilities as of today or yesteryear?

Will we still have Special Forces and an Airborne capability?

Is there a likelihood I would still be able to commission into the Parachute Regiment, if I were adequate enough for it?

In general, reflecting upon current events, I'm concerned if I would still be able to achieve my aspirations of, if you haven't already collected it, being an Officer in the Parachute Regiment and maybe at a later date Special Forces (SAS or SRR).

Just for this thread ignore any improbability of me achieving the above, such as fitness etc etc.

Knight

2. <Whistles> <Walks around a big, White empty room with hands in the back pockets of my denims>

3. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

well you have the humour for it which is good. with any unit fitness is usually the key. as the general army gets smaller they will need more instant teeth to deploy so unfortunately the paras are likely to stay. marines are better soldiers though.

4. Fair point. How about non UKSF? Meaning what place do conventional forces have in this new Army?

5. Grumblegrunt

they cant cut the infantry much more so are more likely to shift it about and come up with multirole capable kit heavy units which can be expanded fairly easy when the need arises. the pointy infantry will if anything end up with more sf style of training to fill the holes.

smashing up the army regimental system is having the wrong effect on morale though as many of those units were just as good as anyone else with an esprit de corps to match like the green howards used to have

6. To be honest, current affairs is all very depressing. I just want to see some head-cracking and painful justice on the TV. Not some Plod trying to be some hard arse THEM walts.

Conventional forces being SF trained; what are SF going to do with their spare time? More daring, bold and reckless ops? They might as well go totally clandestine with their ops.

Mind you, not that it could be proven, but would the UKSF be engaged in Clandestine operations? Not just covert ops.

7. Just so you know, I'm not ignoring you or anything. I have read what you posted.

8. Grumblegrunt

nearly every unit on op banner had a COP capacity in addition to any existing recce units. if anything SF took some capability away from regular units to justify themselves.

for example TA SAS are better at conventional deep patrol and observation tasks than the regulars which made them more usefull in afghanistan but the regulars became the hitmen.

SF has become a term thats been blown out of proportion when it just used to mean better trained soldier now it refers to supermen and is probably a result of the movies where sf is now more like james bond than james blunt

9. There is a lot of truth behind that. I'm not too familiar with all military MLAs just yet.

The point about 007 is blazingly true. I see it everywhere. From my ACF unit to school and even from my parents who know fuck all about anything Military (My dad is ex Army cadet. If he knows anything, he's denying it.)

I try educating them, but no one listens. I've never come across a female who gives a shoite about SF and who they are. My own bird doubts me for it. She calls me a batty, gay and what not because of it. WTF!? I can't prove I'm hetro with her.

I openly codemn the videogame CoD : Black Ops for it. These videogames are bollocks and even if Andy McNab says they represent the battlefield realistically, they still are shoite.

10. Grumblegrunt

what the games are meant to simulate is the mayhem of battle and constant surprise. the fact that you learn the routines of action which is what gets you through. thinking, planing and routine are what get you through. in my day it was chess :)

Ignore the sf angle but by all means learn about them, if you become a para, marine or regular trog then you will still be proud of who you are.

as for your girl if she thinks your a batty then slam one up her starfish to shut her up and teach her the difference!

or stick some pics up in revenge and make a few friends on here in the process :)

11. Join the Foreign Legion.....After 5 years you`ll be fighting fit, well hard and will be able to tell people to fuck off in twenty different launguages. You can then return to the fair Isle that spawned you and lead the Revolution with the Remnants of the once proud British army who took to the hills rather than Submit to Sharia law and Political Correctness!.

12. Grumblegrunt

not to mention a true gay icon :)

13. [/QUOTE]
    as for your girl if she thinks your a batty then slam one up her starfish to shut her up and teach her the difference!

or stick some pics up in revenge and make a few friends on here in the process :)[/QUOTE]

Seconded!.............anyone against....No?.....Motion carried.

14. Played chess...it goes all very pear shaped for me. I even compete against myself and fail:)

Yeah, I pretty much decided that to achieve SF, put it on a back burner and try to excel at what's at hand.

Though about SF, it changes you. If you knew me properly you would say I was of the emotionless and cold variety (Though I can change in an instant if the situation calls for it). Just being the no dramas, professional grey man sort of character. So SF shouldn't effect me emotionally.

But no, I would always put my bird as an extremely important person in my life and I love her to bits. Platonically, mind you. Sex would be fun but too much commitment.

Everything Military about me is due to the first bird I fancied. It ended with a rejection before it even started. Haha. Ever since that day I strived to be better at everything that I did. I moved away from being the God Almighty of Academics at school to the fitness freak of many disciplines eg. Body building, weightlifting etc. I also studied science that didn't concern me before.

A year after that I was ACF. That's when I met my current bird.

I'll put a link up of an interesting thread about me.