Will the government car emissions proposals affect your next car purchase .....

If all new cars must have zero emissions by 2035 will that affect your next car purchase choice ?

• Nope I`m not worried, depreciation wont change from what it is now.

• Yes , I`m looking at electric cars already.

• I run old bangers and couldn`t give a fcuk.

• I`ll be dead by 2035 so dont care.

• Fcuk the planet show me the V8 .

Results are only viewable after voting.
A Tesla Model S has about 1/2 - 2/3 the range of an equivalent sized diesel saloon.

It doesn’t weigh 10x more.

It just takes a bit longer to “fill up.”

The majority of people could very quickly adapt to an EV with very few lifestyle changes.

Apart from adding a longer lunch stop on 300 mile plus journeys, it’s gonna make literally no difference to my life and how I use a car.

And that’s as it is now. That doesn’t take into account any further developments in technology over the next 15 years.
We could replace our second car with an EV right now with zero impact to our life, however, there are 3 reasons for not doing so.
1. Our current second car has at least another 5 years of problem-free life in it, so it doesn't make sense either financially or environmentally to change it now.
2. The purchase cost of an EV compared with the equivalent petrol car would make it more expensive - even taking into account lower running costs.
3. I believe that we are at an intermediate stage in battery technology, and when (if) the expected technological leap in battery technology comes, today's EVs are going to be worthless with their current battery tech.

Chalkster69

Old-Salt
Can Electric pull a Caravan ?

If you fill the caravan with batteries, you'll be able to go on holiday without spending half of it waiting for the car to charge in motorway services (and I dread to think how much they'll charge per litre of electrikity in those places)...

3 phase ? that will make the power companies super rich with the cost of a new 3 phase supply.

3 phase 240v 50hz already exists, its already installed, every road in the land has a large 3 phase SWA running along under the surface. 3ph is a method of transmitting power and balancing output, each phase is 120 Degrees out of sync. The power in at the local sub station is appx 11,00 volts single phase 70Amp, transformed down to 414v 2000amp Appx. Providing a 3 ph supply ( single to 3 Phase converter) to charge cars is not the problem, the problem is not enough power stations to supply demand. If the 26,000,000 private cars all plugged in at once, in the evening, when home from work, when the cookers and TV's are all on, for the evening meal, and in winter, heaters, lighting, etc..................

giatttt

War Hero
3 phase 240v 50hz already exists, its already installed, every road in the land has a large 3 phase SWA running along under the surface.

The street I live in has 7 houses and four flats supplied by a 3Ph feeder. The hassle is that it is only 10mm CSA, much like most of the rest of the village, so no way are we putting in fast chargers without digging up every street and running new cables.

The street I live in has 7 houses and four flats supplied by a 3Ph feeder. The hassle is that it is only 10mm CSA, much like most of the rest of the village, so no way are we putting in fast chargers without digging up every street and running new cables.
10mm 3ph?.....that's about 125A per phase.............?????

My bad. out in the sticks some supply's are pole mounted and fed transformers, from overhead lines.

Last edited:

giatttt

War Hero
10mm 3ph?.....that's about 125A per phase.............?????

To paraphrase the last chap fixing a cable fault: "it runs a bit hot". IIRC the rating for 10mm SWA is about 65A depending on how it is installed, length of run etc. As some politicians are proposing plugging EVs into lamp posts, there may be some new developments in our understanding of physics just around the corner.

3 phase 240v 50hz already exists, its already installed, every road in the land has a large 3 phase SWA running along under the surface. 3ph is a method of transmitting power and balancing output, each phase is 120 Degrees out of sync. The power in at the local sub station is appx 11,00 volts single phase 70Amp, transformed down to 414v 2000amp Appx. Providing a 3 ph supply ( single to 3 Phase converter) to charge cars is not the problem, the problem is not enough power stations to supply demand. If the 26,000,000 private cars all plugged in at once, in the evening, when home from work, when the cookers and TV's are all on, for the evening meal, and in winter, heaters, lighting, etc..................
I was stating what it costs the end user to have it installed , My old man had a quote for a farm supply , less than 100 meters from the transformer £28k.

To paraphrase the last chap fixing a cable fault: "it runs a bit hot". IIRC the rating for 10mm SWA is about 65A depending on how it is installed, length of run etc. As some politicians are proposing plugging EVs into lamp posts, there may be some new developments in our understanding of physics just around the corner.
There are posters on this very forum who insist that it is just a matter of changing the fuses. 10/10 for comedy value.

3 phase 240V 50Hz ???? Are you sure about that?

Also, it's not just the generating capacity that is the issue, it is every step in the distribution network that has to be upgraded.

3 phase 240V 50Hz ???? Are you sure about that?

Also, it's not just the generating capacity that is the issue, it is every step in the distribution network that has to be upgraded.

You are correct, it should read 3 ph 415 v, my bad, 240v is single phase, although today that has now dropped to 220v +- 5-10 v

I do wonder how there will be anything like enough charging points by the time this comes about and more than that where the generating capacity to supply the charging demand will come from.
Electric motors are fine, but fuelling is going to be a bitch.

I expect some punitive taxing to force people to change from hydrocarbon feeding cars.

It means almost EVERY road and hard-standing in the UK where cars currently park will need to be dug-up again to provide the charging infrastructure required.

We have 5 x cars in our family on our driveway at any one time - it is going to be an absolute mess with cables running from charging points to cars everywhere.

Can't wait for all the H&S claims against us by Postmen, Couriers and visitors as they run the gauntlet of Charging Cables just to get to our front door!

Electrification will cost more to implement in countries like Spain where the standard domestic supply is around 3.8kw plus a large percentage live in apartments , if the Brussels dictatorship forces them down the same route as the UK are going then some wise investors will make an absolute killing , maybe in as little as five years.

Not really. There are already companies fitting electric charging points in homes and underground garages in apartments. Fenie Energy have rolled out a fitting programme.
New apartment blocks (the "eco" ones strongly favoured by the Scandinavians) have them fitted on the car park areas although I did notice a new one near me has only 6 points marked 50Kw for a complex of about 40 apartments secured with a key and a keypad (I assume for putting your PIN in so you can get charged).
Iberdrola now reckons they have an electric charging point every 100km on motorways and N roads from 50 to 150Kw throughout Spain (supposed to be completed by the end of last year) plus all the supermarkets and shopping centres have half a dozen or so fitted (haven't seen the power marking on those). Hotels are fitting them in several parking spaces as well.
I agree, doing it at home will be problematic (5.75Kw is now the standard domestic contract so nowhere near sufficient for home charging but 50Kw is available at a cost and an expensive charge to upgrade the cabling) and it's going to be rather difficult in the old, existing apartment blocks in the cities especially those without parking garages.

In Valencia, they have fitted charging posts along the car parking spaces in the centre but I doubt those who really need it (the rural lot) will find access as easy as the cities. Our town (over 15,000 residents) only has one station and Torrevieja (which goes up to a lot of people in the Summer) only has 4 stations with one shopping centre (a Tesla operated one) just has 2 points but Carrefour across the road has 11 points.

And I can't really see home charging from the street in UK working very well either. Unless the cables are fitted underground they'll be a magnet to the yobs and vandals.

Those lovely people at TFL have written to me today (via DVLA) to tell me the London emission zone is expanding from October and my 110 Defender may not meet the UKEZ standards and its going to cost me £12.50 per day to drive in the zone which will be the North Circular Road and South Circular Road.

WTF?

Those lovely people at TFL have written to me today (via DVLA) to tell me the London emission zone is expanding from October and my 110 Defender may not meet the UKEZ standards and its going to cost me £12.50 per day to drive in the zone which will be the North Circular Road and South Circular Road.

WTF?
Yep we had similar letters relating to all our vehicles, So I won’t be taking any of them to London from Aberdeenshire.
Why? Not taken a motor vehicle to London for over 30 years.

And then as I type this I wonder have they been cloned ? All of them ?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
We could replace our second car with an EV right now with zero impact to our life, however, there are 3 reasons for not doing so.
1. Our current second car has at least another 5 years of problem-free life in it, so it doesn't make sense either financially or environmentally to change it now.
2. The purchase cost of an EV compared with the equivalent petrol car would make it more expensive - even taking into account lower running costs.
3. I believe that we are at an intermediate stage in battery technology, and when (if) the expected technological leap in battery technology comes, today's EVs are going to be worthless with their current battery tech.
It's not just the battery technology. It's the whole infrastructure set-up.

See my above about inductive charging. There's also work going on to look at various types of electric roads.

The technologies themselves take many forms - roof-mounted pantographs, side-mounted brush-bars, in-road solutions (both surface and buried).

The reason that hydrocarbon-powered cars carry fuel with them is the the energy-conversion process needs to take place onboard. That's not true with electric vehicles, the electricity is created elsewhere, and it's increasingly recognised that the most efficient way to deliver energy to the car is via the grid.

In other words, one big Scalextric set.

That has knock-ons in terms of vehicle design. The actual running costs of an EV are less than those of an ICE vehicle over a three-year cycle. The sticking-point for many is initial purchase cost. The battery can account for up to 45 percent of overall vehicle cost, and if that can be brought down then EVs will become more popular.

There are already electric road demonstration projects. The KAIST MatriX project in South Korea has buses running that use batteries that are 30 percent smaller than those of other electric buses of similar size. However, it's expected that vehicle designs could be achieved that are usable and have batteries that are 10 percent of the size of those on current EVs.

Obviously, not all roads could be electric and some vehicles will continue to need larger storage capacities. Live right out in the sticks and for the foreseeable you'll need what we have now. But in urban and semi-rural areas the choices could become rather different.

I'd keep running that second car for a few years yet, if I were you. There's no sense in not getting the use out of it.

WTF?
How does the fee get applied ? they post you an invoice ? Ive never driven in central London for decades.

How does the fee get applied ? they post you an invoice ? Ive never driven in central London for decades.

you get shot by cameras. It identifies the car with DVLA then you get a bill. If you dont pay in 24 hours the cost start to wrack up, or you pay in advance.

My number plates are black and steel nubering, so cameras done pick them up!