Will the government car emissions proposals affect your next car purchase .....

If all new cars must have zero emissions by 2035 will that affect your next car purchase choice ?

• Nope I`m not worried, depreciation wont change from what it is now.

• Yes , I`m looking at electric cars already.

• I run old bangers and couldn`t give a fcuk.

• I`ll be dead by 2035 so dont care.

• Fcuk the planet show me the V8 .

Results are only viewable after voting.
Don't worry, fusion power will save us...
Still 30 years away
MIT scientists say fusion is 15 years away
Fusion to de-carbonise the grid?

Or maybe not. The most recent articles I could find which are authoritative rather than wishful thinking (or merely hopeful press releases, i.e. begging letters for more research funds) don't seem to contradict this time-frame.

Even if MIT (and Lockheed Martin) are right, there is still the problem of how to get the power to the users, i.e. the costs of distributing the power over a failing infrastructure. The 'Mr Home Fusion' reactor in 'Back to Future' was an inspired piece of sci-fi!

Sorry for the thread drift, back to the original. This is the electric car I would have:

Elektro-Trabi

mrboo

LE
I reckon the 35 year old Porsche I run has done its bit . Anyway not going to sell it now just sit back and watch those prices rise .

I wondered about a Renault Twizy for the work commute,, it would be ideal for the 7 miles either way, easy to park and the 50mph top speed would be fine for the country lanes that I use.

But, the £50 pcm battery lease, plus the cost of charging, is more than the 2l tdci Mondeo costs in a month, and that would still be needed for anything other than commuting, plus it has doors, AC, sound system & heated screens.

EV just doesn't fit the bangernomics that the politicians don't realise exists.

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk

Just a thought. One take away from Brexit. If you don't like what the mainstream political parties are saying, start your own one issue party, and if enough people support you, you can change what's happening. Internal Combustion Party anyone.

Ill get one of these. ..

1582383854277.png

image is property of shutter stock.com

Very eco friendly, uses water and wood thats been compressed for a zillion years...

I have no intention of buying electric for myself.

But at work I am talking to manufacturers about electric fridge vans. I really do not like the idea and I don't think the technology is yet mature enough but I do recognise that it is likely to be the future.
Its a shite idea but Westminster is forcing us down that route.

I don't like it, I don't think its the best idea, but electric is more than likely the future.

Electric is the future, not because it is the best way of doing things, but because it is the politically acceptable way of doing things.

Cities are already legislating them out. Oxford starts its zero emission zone this year.

I fully expect Nottingham to follow suit pretty soon.

‘Clean Air Zone’: Nottingham could impose camera-controlled charges for polluting vehicles

How Nottingham is racing to be the UK’s first carbon neutral city

There are three road bridges that cross the River Trent in Nottingham. One of them was closed a couple of weeks ago, and is still partially closed, after serious corrosion was discovered during routine maintenance. Because of this it was claimed that on the Monday of last week Nottingham was the most congested city in the world.

Nottingham 'most congested city in world' on Monday according to TomTom

Nottingham crowned most congested city in the world on Monday

This is not going to help with making the city carbon neutral with all those vehicles sat with their engines on and going nowhere.

It's not just the generating capacity, I regularly use a car park on a commercial / industrial estate that has 520 spaces, of those, there are 8 EV charging points. Assuming that has to expand to 50% coverage, then it's clear the local infrastructure isn't capable of supporting it, so larger sub-station, distribution cables, larger supply to the substation - add in all the on-site parking at the various businesses that will need charging points for customers, that's a lot of underground infrastructure that'll need upgrading....

Considering that the aim is to have everything run by electrickery in future, and we barely have sufficient capacity as it stands, there is a requirement for a massive amount of new infrastructure throughout the whole of the UK. It's going to cost billions, if not trillions, and is going to take donkey's years.

The costs, cost overruns, delays and difficulties that we are experiencing with Crossrail and HS2 are going to be as nothing in comparison. And God help us if they find a newt the moment they dig up a bit of turf, not forgetting the protests and gum-bumping from the NIMBYs, XR, green lobby and environmentalists that will undoubtedly happen.

I imagine Injury Lawyers for You will be making a fortune, just imagine all those terraced streets with trailing leads running out of open windows (so the heating will need to be cranked up) to the EV parked eight doors down/over the road.

The majority of housing stock in this country is terraced housing. Go down any such street and you will likely find cars parked on the pavement, both sides of the street, with barely a gap between them. There's already a problem for pedestrians, particularly the elderly and infirm, as well as wheelchair users and parents with their prams and push chairs. All those power cables snaking their way across from house to kerb is going to make the pavements unusable.

I've been looking at petrol and diesel skodas recently. I like petrol, but the emissions and fuel economy is better on the diesel.
A Phev of some sort was looking attractive, until the Gov decided to phase those out as well

I had to drive down to that there Lahndon Tahn on Monday. c156 miles and on the motorway I returned 40 MPG in my 2.0L petrol Mondy estate. I had one diesel once but never want another. I will continue to buy petrol cars for as long as I am able. Even if there are no more new petrol cars produced from 2035 there will still be plenty of used ones available that will last me until I hang up my driving gloves.

We've 2 cars - a reasonably nice Volvo XC60 that we use to do the comfy stuff in and an old Nissan X-Trail that I use as a skip on wheels and for MR stuff where I can climb in covered in crap and dump wet kit etc...

The comfy car will be updated every so often to keep abreast of tech etc.. but the Nissan will be kept until it dies, which won't be anytime soon. It doesn't owe me a penny now, isn't worth anything, but it's already costing more than the newer cars due to the tax band. That's what'll probably do for it . And that will be a waste of a car that doesn't need to be scrapped. That will be inefficient and a shame.

Oh, and I don't trust the government to come up with a coherent long term plan and whatever they push, or are told to push by business, will be taxed to buggery and will be made obsolete the moment everyone has one...

Robme

LE
LEVC who make the electric and hybrid London Taxis are moving into the light delivery van markets
they will be made in Coventy

and another Company will be making the modern Morris Van in Moreton in Marsh

if they take off I will expect prices to drop a little, and once secondhand vans come on the market, smaller business will buy them

However
last week I was down the big smoke and met an old mate, he lives in a tower block with lovely views across London, still rents from the council, as you climb up from Wansdworth to Tibbets corner on the A3 the estate is on your left ( lovely views)
we talked about when we both went to school nearby, few of the residents then had a car, most used public transport to get to work, cycled or small motorcycle, a few drove, and most car owners garaged them and used them at weekends
well now the estate if chock full of large SUVs, people carriers and big German motors, parked on verges and grassed areas ,quite a few are owned by self employed chaps, who claim the dole, but seem to buy and sell medicinal items !
now we talked about EV cars
first problems, the Rude boys would not settle for a Nissan Leaf, they would want the electric equivalent of a range rover, and the council for the 50 flats in each block would not be able to supply a charging outside for each resident
so perhaps ten points
there would be fights, as some residents are very territorial about THERE parking space
charging leads would be unhooked and hacked into as the local Yoots would hate to pay money to charge their cars
leads would dangle out of flat windows leading to another Grenfell, and the Blocks Meter room would probably get broken into to hack into the supply
its bad enough when the Yoots kick off over turf wars on the stairwells, without mains voltages being involved
they would also rather like in their own country with water pumps, start monopolising the charge points and charging for the use
I can see real problems
My mate has been saving some dosh and now widowed, is thinking of returning to live in the Caribbean well away from it all in Havana where he has relatives
he reckons its quieter there ??
When he goes, let us know. I have had 2 holidays in Cuba and the women have the morals of a very loose lady of the night. Nailed the room housekeeper on both holidays, as recommended by the route rep, who claimed that in all his years of repping he had never met so many women with one intent.

Robme

LE
Considering that the aim is to have everything run by electrickery in future, and we barely have sufficient capacity as it stands, there is a requirement for a massive amount of new infrastructure throughout the whole of the UK. It's going to cost billions, if not trillions, and is going to take donkey's years.

The costs, cost overruns, delays and difficulties that we are experiencing with Crossrail and HS2 are going to be as nothing in comparison. And God help us if they find a newt the moment they dig up a bit of turf, not forgetting the protests and gum-bumping from the NIMBYs, XR, green lobby and environmentalists that will undoubtedly happen.
If the Chinese can build a hospital in 10 days (it would have been 9 but Mr. Wong’s shovel broke) then I suspect building a power station wouldn’t take as long as true Brits would take? They have already said they could build HS2 in a weekend (or thereabouts) then I suggest we let them bust their guts. One proviso, would have to be that the U.K. supplies the material and resources (no more Mr. Wong’s shovels)

Robme

LE
As big an issue is any expansion in the national grid system, planning would be hard pushed to allow any large pylons lines through as everything not built on seems to be an AONB these days. Its the major limit with new Nuclear - it needs some where to plug into and the old Coal fired stations at the end of existing lines that haven't been converted to biomass aren't in the remote places peeps like their reactors
There is a way around the potential planning snarl up’s if Boris has the gonads to do it, 1st have a technical Inquiry over the proposed plants, get all the Bananas miserable objects done and dusted. 2nd a quick 2and8 into the proposed location, then the job could get off to a flying start. It has been proposed before over Nuclear dumping, but the Government (Tory) of the day, bottled it.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm looking at a hybrid for the next company car.
All electric won't work for me as the distances I have to travel and many many of these places are presently nowhere near a sodding charging point. I suppose I could carry my generator on a trailer (need the car boot for equipment).
I think this will 'drive' people to stop travelling for work, one of the things that has always me think 'WTF' is the early Monday morning procession of tradesmen in their vans going North on the motorways, with other tradesmen going South, presumably to replace those missing from the south! I know a lot of it is 'contract work' but still, it's one of those things that may well get 'corrected' by this mad rush to electrify the nations cars....
I also know that the distribution of 'skilled trades' (for I am classed as one of those) is not optimum, meaning travelling all over UK is a requirement of doing the job I do (and part of the reason i'm paid a premium to do it).
So along with the generating capacity, HV distribution infrastructure, LV ditribution infrastructure, (BTW, I don't think diversity calcs will be applicable for EV charging so the sum of total load will be required for cable sizing, not a percentage of it) together with the charging points and a robust method of charging for the charging, finding suitable candidates and training them to do niche, skilled but sparse (due to the lack of travel opportunites to fill up the working week) jobs, H&S / legal complications of on-street charging - I was told that if cars were invented in this century, there's no way that current H&S legislation would allow us to fill the fuel tanks as a mere 'owner or user' of said transport, so I imagine widespread implementation of EV's will get the jobsworths and ambulance extension cable chasers interested.
What else will need to change to make this utopian dream a reality?
Personally, i'm hoping for a zombie apocalypse (or coronavirus) to thin the herd, meanwhile, i'll be off to the Winchester until it all blows over....

Electrification will cost more to implement in countries like Spain where the standard domestic supply is around 3.8kw plus a large percentage live in apartments , if the Brussels dictatorship forces them down the same route as the UK are going then some wise investors will make an absolute killing , maybe in as little as five years.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
When he goes, let us know. I have had 2 holidays in Cuba and the women have the morals of a very loose lady of the night. Nailed the room housekeeper on both holidays, as recommended by the route rep, who claimed that in all his years of repping he had never met so many women with one intent.
I was thinking of visiting him !!!!
not sure the wife will let me go alone

I`ve never understood why LPG isnt more popular ...."LPG cars produce less NOx than both petrol and diesel ones. In fact, when compared to diesel, five times less NOx is emitted. LPG vehicles are significantly lower on particle emissions as well. "

I`ve never understood why LPG isnt more popular ...."LPG cars produce less NOx than both petrol and diesel ones. In fact, when compared to diesel, five times less NOx is emitted. LPG vehicles are significantly lower on particle emissions as well. "
Aren't there limitations in tunnels and on some roads?

Latest Threads