Will the army overlook a D in GCSE maths for Officer

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by philpott, May 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, im wanting to join the army as an officer.

Only one problem I have a D in GCSE maths, I am still doing my A-levels and have anopther year left i am re-sitting the maths exam and hopeing to get my C then, but if, not will the army overlook a D being as it is the national average.

I have so much to offer the army and I do not want a D in maths to stop my dream.

any info, please reply

matt

2. Depends what your dream is as some jobs require different grades

3. Get the C and get some nice alevels. Also if ur not good at maths then practice before u enter because they will ask alot of.... if ive got a troop walking at 9mph and need to cover 12miles how long will it take? and no guesses!

4. Who cares no one will catch them.

5. Short answer - No. Most likely not.

If its your dream, put in the hard work (ie distance learning etc) and get a C

6. Philpott,

I do hope you fulfil your dream of becoming an Officer, but you need to brush up on your grammar (don’t we all), it says a lot, especially on forums like this.

Just a pointer,

wi3h u luk m8

Jamie

7. Let's hope not. Otherwise why bother having any entry standards whatsoever? We are talking about getting a grade C GCSE FFS - it's not exactly rocket science or a PhD in nuclear physics.

8. i wasnt looking to be critised at all guys, i simply was looking for an answer...thanks

9. Then maybe the army isnt for you if you arent up to speed you will be told in no uncertain terms

10. Seriously! A D is the national average!? Thats ridiculous.

Maths is easy, just practice!

11. GCSE maths has got nothing to do with maths - its all about arithmetic. "Doing your sums". "Maths" dosn't start until "A" level - until then it's just arithmetic - which anyone can learn. Just practice.

12. I'm afraid not.

Sums/Maths etc have been a problem for me all my life. I failed my TCB primarily due to poor mental arithmatic, and they were right to do so. Up to a certain point it is practice and a case of the penny dropping. If you got a D make the effort and push for that pass. I took the jack way out didn't bother and paid for it. My fault. Don't end up the same.

13. When I was doing my GCSE's I was thinking of going officer, I was told by the careers office that I would need a C on the higher paper not the intermediate paper my school had me lined up for!

My head of maths said I couldn't sit the higher maths paper because if I flunked I would make the schools results look bad (B1tch)

I booked and paid for a higher paper at the school round the corner, I got the C! Shame I got fucked around by the Army when I went to join... I'd be winning if I had joined at 18 not 26!

14. Thank the Lord I was'nt in your troop.....average walking pace is a little under 3 mph. and 3+ mph. marching pace. 9 mph is a fairly brisk run :D

15. You'd hope that those who lead our armed forces are somewhat above the national average in most regards.