Will tanks become irrelevant?

Discussion in 'RAC' started by boobs, May 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Some might know I looked into the AAC, but have decided on the RAC. But reading up on related matters I read somewhere that tanks may be coming of little or no use in the future, due to mobility and other factors. That coupled with viewing a few videos on YouTube of anti-tank missiles raping tanks have uneased me a bit to say the least, but I'm remaining scarily enthusiastic. Just wondering if anyone knows or thinks what, if any future tanks may be like in future and if they will stay as an important part of possible future wars as in the past.

Boobs (I like them).

2. Having seen Iron Man last week, I can confirm that tanks are now passe. :lol:

(I know, e accent acute but I don't know how to do that on here)

3. gosh

from a girlie point of view, i dont think that army wld b the same without!
    i love the look of them :oops:

i think way , way , way in the future eveything will b run my robots
    they will b behind the shop tills, fillin stations, banks, also i have to say the army

terminator will come true i do believe, but not in any of our life times or out kids !

my opinion !

x

4. Nurse,

Another one has escaped....

:roll:

5. :D

yip yip yip x

6. Don't worry. When the oil runs out you can go back to wearing red trousers and riding horses in to battle (while in the infantry do all the real work).

7. There has been lots of debate about the life of the tank, especially with the introduction of Apache! :roll: But hey there is nothing more impressive as a 60/70 ton beast at full clip and firing! :D ........................Pass the tissues! :p I think their life has been extended due to the way they were used on TELIC 1 / OIF IMHO!!! 8)

8. hubby said he hopes that is ture so he dont need to work anymore lol

9. Yep tanks are going out of fashion - not.

So much so the Canadians leased/borrowed 20 Leopard 2 from the Germans (IIRC) to send to Afghanistan to support their lads out there. And have also decided to reverse their policy of doing away with heavy armour - and relying on the likes of LAV's, Cougars, etc - by buying 100 Leopard 2 to replace their aging Leopard 1.

10. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

If you know the ASCII* code for an é, you can use smoke, mirrors and an Alt key to insert the ASCII code and display the é. It's a lot of hard work especially if you don't use it often.

You can use your favourite word processing software to create a file containing all the special characters you might need, then you can copy and paste. In OpenOffice.org the selection is Insert / Special Character...

Or you can open your favourite word processor and type in a word containing the special character, WITHOUT using the special character, then putting it through the spell-checker.

Interesting this last method (which I used in this case), brought to light the fact that the word is actually passée, as confirmed by a dictionary search.

You learn something new every day.
    *ASCII: American Standard for Character Information Interchange, ALWAYS referred to incorrectly as American Standard Code for Information Interchange. Try websearching for the latter and see how many hundreds of thousands of hits you get. Then search for the former and find 94 hits, one of which is my explanation of this a year ago (it'll be 95 now then). More crucially, another hit is the actual specification in PDF format available from the American National Standards Institute itself, for a fee amounting to a king's ransom.

11. NEVER - Blitz tactics are still as effective today as they were 60 odd years ago for invading countries!

As for you though

Twaaaaaat

12. When Apache is firing the CRV7 rockets full of flachetes, then that's fu**ing cool.

13. NEVER FECKING NEVER!!!!!

Mind you my artwork would become more valuable?!?!?!

14. Or you could just go Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Character Map. Find what you want, Select, Copy and Ctrl V to Paste. In XP.

15. When you see what a Challenger 2 can do at full pelt then you'll know there is a future for them, yes there are Apaches and so on, but they can just as easily be taken out with high tech missiles, launchers, etc, they also cost a fair amount more than tanks and again they both do different roles and different missions.