Will Swaziland be the first country to die from AIDS?

Whilst news sites are reporting that more than a million Americans are now living with AIDS, give a thought for the country of Swaziland where figures released last week show that 42.6 per cent of the adult population is infected with either HIV or Aids. For Swazis aged between 25 and 29, the figure is 56 per cent. No other country has infection rates as high as this and, with a population of just one million, the very survival of the nation is at stake.
Full story here

Now would be a good time for me to go there and sell my special cure aids snake oil at $50 a go.

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Poor bastards. It's not as if they need die of this either - education and medicine - in that order - would have sorted this out, and even at this stage could help.

Pity we can't take the money we're going to donate to their 'leaders' thanks to Mr Geldof, and use it to help them directly.

My money is on France. Perhaps it's just wishful thinking?

Believe me, the only way to stop this country (and africa in general) from dieng out is to teach them how to stop the spread of HIV/AIDS using contraceptives, and for them to take some bloody responsibility for their own actions.

One of my friends at uni had been on a years work experience in sub saharan africa and was shocked at the level of 'blame it on whitey!' attitude. They (being the ones she saw) thought aids was a whitemans plague and refused to stop having unprotected sex. There were a number of regulars who were often caught in compromising situations in the local brothel riding bareback.

Lairdx said:
My money is on France. Perhaps it's just wishful thinking?
No, that's syphilus your thinking of. :D

Thing is, if there wasnt a high death rate by AIDS in the country, would they be better off? Any form of death that is brought on early is harsh and I wouldnt wish this infection/disease on any one. Its probably a "white man" phrase, but AIDS could be mother natures way of curbing escalating rises in population.

africa will eventually be an empty land ripe for recolonisation, India and China are already considering that option considering the population levels in their own country.

B

Biscuits_AB

Agent_Smith said:
Believe me, the only way to stop this country (and africa in general) from dieng out is to teach them how to stop the spread of HIV/AIDS using contraceptives, and for them to take some bloody responsibility for their own actions.

One of my friends at uni had been on a years work experience in sub saharan africa and was shocked at the level of 'blame it on whitey!' attitude. They (being the ones she saw) thought aids was a whitemans plague and refused to stop having unprotected sex. There were a number of regulars who were often caught in compromising situations in the local brothel riding bareback.
Contaceptives don't work with them. I was talking with a bloke from the SA Defence Forces a couple of years back, about the situation in general with their forces post -Apartheid.

One of the things he told me just sums up the whole attitude. They gave the black soldiers condoms before they went on exercise as they habitually abandoned their posts and bunked off to the local villages for a hump. They refused to use them. The expression given when asked why not, was 'you wouldn't eat a toffee with the wrapper on'.............Now that's ignorance for you. He just couldn't make them understand the risks, no matter how he tried.

He reckoned that he'd lost best part of his Platoon through AIDS and that when he got back to SA, he'd be short of a few more. Education is abundant apparantly, but they just don't want to know.

Now, how the f*ck do you deal with that?

Aids is a taboo subject in Africa , Nelson Mandela was brave in going public about his son dying of Aids,
Mad Bob of Zim claimed that the disease is a curse from god for those who are gay :roll:

Good post Biscuits.

Rape is also a significant factor in the spread of HIV/Aids in Africa. Particularly in the trouble spots. I'd be happy to let them get on with it were it not for the fact that some women are simply not given the choice.

B

Biscuits_AB

I do sympathise, I really do, but more for the kids who are born with HIV and for those who have to watch their parents die young, when they themselves are only little nippers. Seen a programme about some months ago. F*cking heart breaking, it really was. Don't mind admitting that the plight of these little kids had me in tears. F*cking desperate situation. There was one lass in Rwanda who had been raped during the war and as a result she'd contracted AIDS. Her old man had been hacked to death along with the rest of the adults in the village, which included all of her family and in laws. The product of the rape, her kid, was on his own when she went. Poor little fella just sat and cried. All very sad indeed. There's noboby to look after some of these kids when they are left in these circumstances. They are open to all sorts of sh*t then. There are so many twisted evil f*ckers who will take use them for all sorts. Life means sh*t to some of these people.

They wonder why there are so many child soldiers in African countries. Those little b*stards don't know anything else. Life has shat on them since the day they were born.

Makes you count your blessings.

Sierra Leone used to have the lowest HIV/AIDS rate for Africa. After the UN moved Nigerian soldiers in to suppress the rebels that shot straight up as a result of rape and general prostitution. Whilst we were there in 2000 the medical staff did a survey across the general population. I cant remember the figure exactly, but it was something like 82% for HIV.

Talking about education and awareness being a waste of time; numerous Brit squaddies were caught red handed with local 'nightfighters'. One was caught engaged in a bit of bum fun with a local in a bar used by the UN and Brits. He was wearing a condom and felt that that was enough to ensure no diseases would be transmitted. He hadn't considered the condom tearing. Squaddies also thought that getting blow jobs was OK as well. Shame, some of the Guineaeans (or however you spell the name for people from Guinea) were bloody lovely.....

Muppet_in_Civvies said:
I'm sure a lot of people would see this as 'natural selection'...........I know I do.
In a way you are right. Us humans are subject to the laws of evolution as well. It has already been found that there are some people with a natural immunity to AIDS (I remember having read about a study among prostitutes from Kenya). The scientists were very exited when they found them, they all had either the HIV virus in their body for decades and never developed symptoms of AIDS, or they were busy every day, unprotected, with the most dangerous and infected group of men and never got infected, though being regularly exposed to the virus.

I assume that in the end a new breed of humans, imune to AIDS develops.
Obviously it also weeds out the people who are to thick to protect themselves.

Jan

It's also very much a reflection of the relative status of men and women in Africa. I know I have mentioned this on ARRSE before (a while back mind you) but a study into how those women and children who had survived the civil war and famine in Ethiopia that my father was involved in showed that a) at that time 75% of widows were under the age of 15 b) that the women had kept themselves and their children alive by deliberately shopping their husbands to soldiers recruiting for the war or poisoning them - in Africa, men eat before their families and if there's nothing left, too bad.

Another Agricultural development project he was involved in in Liberia back in the 80s nearly foundered because they spent 12 months teaching the men how to grow crops and use equipment. It wasn't until the project sociologist pointed out that the men traditionally do f*ck all work that they then taught the women the same thing and things began to happen....

As Biscuits says I just don't know how you change that mind set. However, an interesting development of the Ethiopian situation post-war was that women leaving the army (the guerilla army that won) were better educated because they had paid attention in their bush schools, were finding jobs, having children - and refusing to keep the fathers. The men tended to be unemployed because they couldn't read or write and no woman would have them.

Not a good situation in the long term.