Will Straw and Miliband see jail?

They are politicians and therefore weasels of the highest order. What do you think?

Honest question, when was the last politician that actually did time for naughtiness in office? And I'm not talking a token here have six months for stealing several billion via fraud.

diverman

LE
Book Reviewer
Honest question, when was the last politician that actually did time for naughtiness in office? And I'm not talking a token here have six months for stealing several billion via fraud.
Huhne and McShane for low level crimes, but these are far bigger potentially, in that they have been accused of breaking international law and laws as far back as Magna Carta.

Re the OP the answer is no.

They are politicians and therefore weasels of the highest order. What do you think?
I think they will never stand in a dock.

They are now ex politicians and therefore expendable.
No. That would set a precedent which is hardly likely to appeal to politicians.

There will be numerous layers of plausible deniability between the politicians and whoever roughed up Ali.

No government will allow this, as Tedsson stated - it sets a precedent that would be too unpalatable.
That's why Blair will enjoy the rest of his live stress free.

diverman

LE
Book Reviewer
Re the OP the answer is no.

I think they will never stand in a dock.

No. That would set a precedent which is hardly likely to appeal to politicians.

There will be numerous layers of plausible deniability between the politicians and whoever roughed up Ali.
But, they may have to give evidence under oath in court if called as witnesses, maybe difficult not to trip them up, they are not very bright that's why they are politicians.

Prior to prosecution one or both will be appointed to a Committee overseeing the allegations arising, with a view to the proper course of conduct for dealing with politicians and statesmen who made well-intentioned decisions possibly based upon the available facts and public approval at the time, but ignorant of the later truth. Such resolutions might be so punitive and go so far as a harsh reprimand 'in camera' and loss of seniority in the party for a fixed period not exceeding public memory.

Head down and nose clean for a twelve-month, it worked for all the others.

@Tedsson is correct. There is no way any court in the UK would want to create such a precedent. There's even less chance of Allen facing charges - the idea of a senior SIS officer giving evidence (even 'In Camera') with the inevitable OPSEC issues is somewhat fanciful.

Straw may be looking at s spell in the dock but the actual perpetrators are unlikely to:
Section 7 of the 1994 Intelligence Services Act, sometimes described as the 'James Bond clause', protects MI6 officers from prosecution for actions anywhere in the world that would otherwise be illegal. They would be protected as long as their actions were authorised in writing by the secretary of state.

No.4 Mk.1

On ROPS
On ROPs
From the article:

Belhaj and Bouchar were abducted in Bangkok in March 2004 and flown by the CIA from Bangkok to Gaddafi’s interrogation and torture cells in Tripoli.
I guess the intelligence tip-off was bang on the nail then.

Surely a couple of devout young men wouldn't be there for the beer and lady boys. Would they?
From the same article, printed in clear English...

In 2004, Fatima Bouchar and her husband, Abdel Hakim Belhaj....

Not a chance of any politician ending up in court over this sorry part of our history......., innocent service people ? well we all know the answer to that one .
What gets me is Judge's making decisions that will cost the British tax payer millions , earn the Legal profession millions , and yet never get to the real truth .

From the article:

Belhaj and Bouchar were abducted in Bangkok in March 2004 and flown by the CIA from Bangkok to Gaddafi’s interrogation and torture cells in Tripoli.
I guess the intelligence tip-off was bang on the nail then.

Surely a couple of devout young men wouldn't be there for the beer and lady boys. Would they?

Abdel Hakim Belhaj and Sami al-Saadi's 'crimes' were that they were political enemies of Gaddafi. They didn't constitute a threat to our or the US's national security. Gaddafi had promised to abandon his nuclear and chemical weapons programme and as a reward for British friendship – including the secret rendition of his opponents – he agreed to huge and lucrative oil deals for BP.

Our involvement in the affair was suspected when it emerged that one of the kidnappers...er, rendition team was a female who spoke with a cultured English accent. It was later confirmed when a letter from SIS's head of 'anti-terrorism' was found during the fall of Tripoli. It outlined our role in the renditions.

Straw at first maintained that SIS (who are answerable to the Foreign Secretary) had no involvement in the rendition when it became apparent that they were involved, he claimed that it was impossible for him to be across all of SIS's operations.

Latest Threads