Will not having a degree affect Officer promotion?

I am weighing up the pro's and con's of getting a degree before Sandhurst due to the size of the debt accrued.
Obviously before the rank of Major I would gain a degree from the Army, but would a degree from a Russell group university help in my promotion, especially to ranks above Major as I am looking to serve the full term in the Army if everything goes to plan.

Thank you for any helpful comments,

Speak to a Careers office rather than a bunch of has beens/winos/soldiers/civvies for the best and up to date info mate. Good luck

And remember, no plan survives contact

I am weighing up the pro's and con's of getting a degree before Sandhurst due to the size of the debt accrued.
Obviously before the rank of Major I would gain a degree from the Army, but would a degree from a Russell group university help in my promotion, especially to ranks above Major as I am looking to serve the full term in the Army if everything goes to plan.

Thank you for any helpful comments,
Get a degree before you go, and join the OTC there. The in Service degrees offered are generally shite when you scratch the surface (accredited by who?). Hit the ground running then some form of Masters whilst in Service will be within easy reach. FYSA, Officers are leaving Sandhurst with a PG Cert nowadays, which adds a lot of pressure. If you're used to working academically at the level upon arrival, life will be easier.

cpunk

LE
If you get to Sandhurst without a degree, the army will pretty much ensure that you have one by the time you're in the zone for promotion to major but it won't be terribly prestigious and you will have had the utter nausea of doing homework whilst your graduate contemporaries are having fun.

How about getting a place at university, getting an AOSB pass and getting an undergraduate bursary? If you're prepared to do some part-time work whilst you're studying, get some OTC pay and rake in a bursary, the reality is that you can considerably reduce your debt burden, and get all the developmental benefit of tertiary education and living away from home for three years.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Sandhurst now has a Higher Education Pathway which is proving to be popular. The Sandhurst course now counts as the first year of a degree with no student debt. If you already have a degree Sandhurst will count towards a Masters.

More detail here:

https://www.reading.ac.uk/news-and-events/releases/PR740966.aspx

These days approx 20% of each intake are non-graduates.