Will my UK spec LCD tv work in Germany

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by 2Bn_BBYDF, Jun 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm off to sunny Germany soon and I'm currently trying to squeeze my giant telly into the back of my car.

Then I had a horrible thought - will my tv work over there?

Probably a bone question, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2B.

2. No, so you will have to sell it to a turk or a russian.

3. When did Germany start using 110 volts? Have I slipped into some kind of strange dream world where Germany changed their voltage system affecting the every electrical piece of equipment in the country?
    Your tv will work in Germany, you may have to play with the audio settings, but you will certainly get BFBS on it (if you are in the right areas).

4. I was in Germany 75-78 and 85-88 and it was 230 volts on a 2 pin "Shuko" plug then. It has never been 110 Volts.

I seem to remember that on the TVs, the picture will work, but the sound wouldn't unless the set had been modified.

See here :

http://www.kropla.com/electric2.htm

5. your tv will work fine,if you have sky take it with you.You can change your UK plugs at any hive for german plugs free of charge even though they only cost a few euros,you can buy German extensions cable/sockets for a few euros aswell.

6. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Thought so RABC,
    I remember we had to get out TV's fitted with some sort of chip circuit or something in order for them to work.

7. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Germany is on 230v 50hz now and has been for at least the 20 years I have been there - unless you live on a US army base.
    You will need to change your plugs, but I suggest you buy a couple of UK multi-socket extensions for your TV/Hi-Fi demands, then you just need to change a couple rather than a dozen.

Edited to add.
    Most TV's now are multi-system covering PAL, SECAM and NTSC. The old problems of picture and no sound were because of the different transmissions of PAL B and G etc.

8. I remember pre BFBS what we used to get on the TV was some old scratchy subtitled black and white movie on German 3 on a thursday night about 10:00 pm

Rushed back to the block from the NAAFI after getting some Embassy No1 fags bought with my tear off fag coupons part of my how many a month i was allowed

Mind you, when I joined up, everything was in black and white

9. Aaahhh, the early days of BFBS TV! The box had to be modified because the German authorities didn't want the locals corrupted by the delights of BFBS TV, so they transmitted the audio at a slightly different frequency, IIRC! And the locally manufactured aerials hanging outside the block/MQs were a sight to behold!

The Magic Roundabout, anyone? Or how to clear the tank park at 1630hrs...

Litotes

10. West Germany was definitely on 220V 50Hz by 1973. But I am not certain about any earlier, or about East Germany. In Britain, the move to 240V 50Hz was over a long period of time, and 200V DC was used in some areas until the 1950s, IIRC.

I recently drove through a village in Sussex and noticed that all the houses were supplied by the old style low-level metal pylons and overhead cables that I think were used to carry DC voltage.

Litotes

11. Blimey! I never knew that DC was used like that, I always thought mains power was AC. :oops:

12. A lot of new TV's are multi region and 110-240v therefore often there shouldn't be a problem unless your going to one of the more obscure parts of the world.

13. If i remember righlty all EU countries including the UK are supposed to ben on 230V +/- 6%.

The UK hasn't quite achieved this so we use 230V +10%/ -6%, but you won't have any problems with it working in terms of voltage etc.

14. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Try France - I get between 214 and 245 depending on what room I am in at my French place.....oh and fcuk all every time the reactor starts to cook - which is about once a week....

15. Wow - quite the electrics lesson - but very much appreciated!

2B.