Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will my (23F) relationship survive RMAS and royal engineers?

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
That seems to be a reoccurring request...:)

that’s quite a name, so made up it doesn’t even sound made up anymore. Is that really the type of guys there?

Some of them. But don't worry, it's not the ones joining the engineers.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
@HPpenguin

I'll bump into you at Sandbags. The 80% relationship and 20% smoking and then vice versa line is still in use.

Your relationship and its strength is entirely in both your hands. The course is very busy and demanding and you will make life-long friendships. Covid is adding additional stress and all cadets are currently gated other than for exercises and leave at the end of term. In general I'd say it's making the platoons much more cohesive.

Happy to give more detail by PM. My wife serves in Academy HQ and our son commissioned in the summer.

That seems to be a reoccurring request...:)

that’s quite a name, so made up it doesn’t even sound made up anymore. Is that really the type of guys there?

@Commentator and @Brotherton Lad can give you a more up to date picture than I can, but by all accounts it’s a lot more egalitarian than it was in my day.

I’m given to understand that even in the guards these days it’s even considered acceptable to date a young lady who lives in a house with a number. :)

Then it was quite common for there to be several ‘honorables’ in each platoon. One in mine was expected to serve 3 years in the Grenadiers before moving to take on the management of Daddy’s estate (and eventually his title).

Public schools definitely outnumbered comprehensive schools..

However it’s good to remember that selection for the Sappers was always on merit. You could never buy a commission in the Royal Engineers. Nor the gunners...

Truxx

LE
@HPpenguin

I'll bump into you at Sandbags. The 80% relationship and 20% smoking and then vice versa line is still in use.

Your relationship and its strength is entirely in both your hands. The course is very busy and demanding and you will make life-long friendships. Covid is adding additional stress and all cadets are currently gated other than for exercises and leave at the end of term. In general I'd say it's making the platoons much more cohesive.

Happy to give more detail by PM. My wife serves in Academy HQ and our son commissioned in the summer.
Dont let him apologise or attempt to make any predictions Two Three Foxtrot.......

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
@Commentator and @Brotherton Lad can give you a more up to date picture than I can, but by all accounts it’s a lot more egalitarian than it was in my day.

I’m given to understand that even in the guards these days it’s even considered acceptable to date a young lady who lives in a house with a number. :)

Then it was quite common for there to be several ‘honorables’ in each platoon. One in mine was expected to serve 3 years in the Grenadiers before moving to take on the management of Daddy’s estate (and eventually his title).

Public schools definitely outnumbered comprehensive schools..

However it’s good to remember that selection for the Sappers was always on merit. You could never buy a commission in the Royal Engineers. Nor the gunners...

About 60% state educated these days and 75% graduate. 7 or 8% from the ranks. 15% female. 15% international. A fair few female instructors, including the RE Capt I met this morning.

My advice is get in a big stock of blueys

ACA8AB68-617C-466A-B75F-51EC0A6973BF.jpeg

Which was why they had their own officer training establishment until WW2 at Woolwich called 'the shop'.

They always said that Royal Engineer officers were 'mad, married or methodist'. Which one were you Bob?

Truxx

LE
Isn’t that cultural appropriation of the RAOC fella? Won’t be the first time... :)
Moot point. The Corps of Trucks included the Commisariat Corps as one of their antecedents and all the corps officers were "invited" (ahem) to chip in to purchase Daltons VC so if he was, in fact, actually a stacker then I want my money back.

Latest Threads