will MPs hand back any purchases

I'm just glad that some of them will be gone for good. They say we get the government we deserve. Well, we really do deserve better and if it means a few heads roll then good riddance to them.
Maybe the next ones will be a little more thoughtful towards the people they represent, although I'll not be holding my breath...
At least this whole thing is sending them a message (of sorts):

Two more MP's step down over expenses row

The_Rattler said:
:D
when they are not re elected.

I am after some cheap stuff and have not seen anything on ebay yet
You may yet be in luck.

If HM Revenue and Customs does its job, we should see a fair few current and former MPs being hit with massive income tax, national insurance and capital gains tax bills.

No doubt, some of them wont be able to pay whereupon the Revenue should promptly send in the bailiffs just like they'd do to the rest of us. Get round the auction houses near Jacqui Spliff's constituency home and you might get a cheap but worryingly stained set top box containing some remaining credits for Spaff TV.

On the other hand - what percentage of the 650 (+/-) MPs have allegations being aimed at them? Less than 5% I suspect.

Which would mean that 95% don't have any allegations against them. It would be playing into the media's hands if we lumped them into the same pot and would damage Parliament even more than it has been.

tattybadger said:
On the other hand - what percentage of the 650 (+/-) MPs have allegations being aimed at them? Less than 5% I suspect.

Which would mean that 95% don't have any allegations against them. It would be playing into the media's hands if we lumped them into the same pot and would damage Parliament even more than it has been.
More than that surely? 5% seems a little low to me. that would be just 32-33 MP's being caught out.
There's a big list here, looks like more than that to me although some may not be under investigation.
I think the worst thing is that they wrote their own green book and then their own system allowed some serious transgressions without sufficient oversight. I know Speaker Martin is going soon but I think he should have been sacked immediately (assuming that was within the rules). Is he getting his golden handshake and a peerage? I hope not but I expect he will eventually.

BarkingSpider said:
tattybadger said:

More than that surely? 5% seems a little low to me. that would be just 32-33 MP's being caught out.
There's a big list here, looks like more than that to me although some may not be under investigation.
I think the worst thing is that they wrote their own green book and then their own system allowed some serious transgressions without sufficient oversight. I know Speaker Martin is going soon but I think he should have been sacked immediately (assuming that was within the rules). Is he getting his golden handshake and a peerage? I hope not but I expect he will eventually.
Feck me you're right- that is a big list!!

Ironic tho, that the Telegraph is putting itself around as the scourer of Parliament, when it's owned by the Barclay bros, whose own moral standing is not peaking the heights.

Ancient_Mariner said:
No doubt, some of them wont be able to pay whereupon the Revenue should promptly send in the bailiffs just like they'd do to the rest of us. Get round the auction houses near Jacqui Spliff's constituency home and you might get a cheap but worryingly stained set top box containing some remaining credits for Spaff TV.
Good then Virgin can get her done for theft as well as they own the box :)
I also hear on the news that Esther Ranson is thinking of standing as an independent PM's question time could be good with her.....look I've found a carrot wehich looks like your knob

The pictures on the Telegraph site of the more bizarre claims are quite interesting - claiming for a chocolate santa; tight crooks - I can just imagine the conversation at Christmas dinner:

'Thank you for my Santa mummy'

'That's alright dear, it was really from Mr & Mrs Taxpayer!

PandaLOVE said:
The_Rattler said:
:D
when they are not re elected.

I am after some cheap stuff and have not seen anything on ebay yet
No. Why should they? """"""They have done nothing wrong""""".
maybe using tax payers money to do there job is :x fair enough :x but if they are not in the job anymore they dont need their newly gained toys.

when you finish your job at work or move on, you tend to hand back the company car/phone and other gadgets, otherwise your old company would do you for theft of sorts

when you finish your job at work or move on, you tend to hand back the company car/phone and other gadgets, otherwise your old company would do you for theft of sorts
Come now... They, like Teflon Tony, learned from the Clintons who pillaged the White House on their way out...

Airborne_Aircrew said:
Come now... They, like Teflon Tony, learned from the Clintons who pillaged the White House on their way out...
ok the clintons removed all the "W"s from the whitehouse keyboards :D

It was worse than that but they returned the stuff after it was discovered and the story was "it was all a big mistake". But for the fact they got caught the WH would still be without some fairly significant artifacts.