Will military pay ever rise to an acceptable standard?

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Arcadiu, Apr 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well I was just thinking how poor our soldiers are getting paid and was wondering, are the soldiers ever going to get paid an acceptable amount of money?

Thanks,

Arc

2. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

TROLL ALERT! :)

What a very very odd second Post!

In short: the military is all volunteer - if you don't like the pay, you don't have to stay.......

3. What the feck would you know?

4. Not how you spell paid for a start :)

5. Oh whoops haha sorry.

6. 1. Certainly not while the country is broke.

2. What do you mean "acceptable"? Very few people ever think they are paid enough but there are, we are assured and you can see in anecdote from the recruiting fora here, plenty of people queuing up to join up. That seems to suggest that new-entrant pay is, under the current economic conditions, 'acceptable' to a sufficient number of people. And that's the scare figure that is normally bandied around.

7. I am paid plenty thanks. Never say no to more but I get paid plenty.

8. We are paid perfectly well, the government said so.

9. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

The 'right' pay in ANY organisation, military or civil, is what produces the desired level of recruitment and retention. That's all there is to it.

10. Not much wrong with the pay we get. There's much more important things to pay for before we start expecting payrises.

Besides, we're hardly short of people joining so the pay can't be 'that' bad.

11. Military capitation rates tell a different story. What an individuals costs the MOD as a whole throughout the year is quite an eye opener. an individual's monthly pay packet is only part of the whole package. In civ div, trying to cover the same on an equivalent salary is nigh on impossible.

12. See! I told you we get loads :D

And then when I go on ops to actually do something......... I get paid even more 8O

13. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Qn there is how much of the uplift is 'military' (uniform, musket, fife and drum etc) and how much is benefit to the serviceman. Uplift for a civilian professional in terms of management overhead, space (office plus share of lavatories, cafeteria, car park etc), annual travel/meeting expenses, IT kit etc can be 100%. All those are (coarsely) pro rata to the number of bods employed.

14. Pay is alright. Allowances constantly being cut is becoming slightly boring. We could be paid more but where is it going to come from?

whf

15. I get paid well for what i do i think. 24k a year with no rank and only having been in 4 years. I cant complain but if there is money going spare i wont say no.