Will military pay ever rise to an acceptable standard?

Well I was just thinking how poor our soldiers are getting paid and was wondering, are the soldiers ever going to get paid an acceptable amount of money?

Thanks,

Arc

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
TROLL ALERT! :)

What a very very odd second Post!

In short: the military is all volunteer - if you don't like the pay, you don't have to stay.......

Arcadiu said:
Well I was just thinking how poor our soldiers are getting payed and was wondering, are the soldiers ever going to get payed an acceptable amount of money?

Thanks,

Arc
What the feck would you know?

buryfc66 said:
Arcadiu said:
Well I was just thinking how poor our soldiers are getting payed and was wondering, are the soldiers ever going to get payed an acceptable amount of money?

Thanks,

Arc
What the feck would you know?
Not how you spell paid for a start :)

1. Certainly not while the country is broke.

2. What do you mean "acceptable"? Very few people ever think they are paid enough but there are, we are assured and you can see in anecdote from the recruiting fora here, plenty of people queuing up to join up. That seems to suggest that new-entrant pay is, under the current economic conditions, 'acceptable' to a sufficient number of people. And that's the scare figure that is normally bandied around.

We are paid perfectly well, the government said so.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
The 'right' pay in ANY organisation, military or civil, is what produces the desired level of recruitment and retention. That's all there is to it.

Not much wrong with the pay we get. There's much more important things to pay for before we start expecting payrises.

Besides, we're hardly short of people joining so the pay can't be 'that' bad.

Military capitation rates tell a different story. What an individuals costs the MOD as a whole throughout the year is quite an eye opener. an individual's monthly pay packet is only part of the whole package. In civ div, trying to cover the same on an equivalent salary is nigh on impossible.

smallbrownprivates said:
Military capitation rates tell a different story. What an individuals costs the MOD as a whole throughout the year is quite an eye opener. an individual's monthly pay packet is only part of the whole package. In civ div, trying to cover the same on an equivalent salary is nigh on impossible.
See! I told you we get loads :D

And then when I go on ops to actually do something......... I get paid even more 8O

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Qn there is how much of the uplift is 'military' (uniform, musket, fife and drum etc) and how much is benefit to the serviceman. Uplift for a civilian professional in terms of management overhead, space (office plus share of lavatories, cafeteria, car park etc), annual travel/meeting expenses, IT kit etc can be 100%. All those are (coarsely) pro rata to the number of bods employed.

Pay is alright. Allowances constantly being cut is becoming slightly boring. We could be paid more but where is it going to come from?

whf

I get paid well for what i do i think. 24k a year with no rank and only having been in 4 years. I cant complain but if there is money going spare i wont say no.

Arcadiu said:
Well I was just thinking how poor our soldiers are getting paid and was wondering, are the soldiers ever going to get paid an acceptable amount of money?

Thanks,

Arc
What would "you" regard as acceptable standard pay?

Are you serving? as if you are hopefully you'll be fully aware of "other" perks we get and allowances which is acceptable either way you look at it,

How much is enough considering other sector's are suffering from pay freezes and job cuts, be thankful for what we have not what we can not afford in todays fiscal climate.

Arcadiu said:

Thanks,

Arc
I always thought it as adequate while I was in. Not a fortune, but did get paid whilst playing sports etc. If you want to compare hourly rates on ops then it does look bad. But if you compare hourly rates on sport/adventure training/sick etc. It looks OK.

I feel the pay we receive is perfectly adequate, yes it could always be better but there are very few jobs out there where you earn the amount you would like to.

The only minor annoyance i have is the two differing pay rates, i.e. higher and lower, but as I am currently on higher rate i wont argue the point too much!

It occurs to me that the only people getting outraged about armed forces pay are the ones who dont actually serve.

The best we can do is compare to other publicly funded bodies. I would suggest compared to Police/Firemen, we are slightly underpaid and particularly for those who actually put themselves in most danger, most often (ie on starting salaries).

But compare the recent top-Brass non-payrise with recent news about pay rises to execs in NHS Trusts and something is clearly going wrong.

As has been mentioned, we used to put up with it because the "perks" were pretty good. Constant erosion of conditions and allowances is making this less so.

But I think the single biggest problem is that retirement "lump sums" in relation to housing prices and way lower than they were for those retiring, for example, 20 years ago. No different than for civvies you might say. Well the difference is that those retiring from the Army have not had the same opportunities to "settle down" as police/firemen etc.

Blokeonabike said:
The best we can do is compare to other publicly funded bodies. I would suggest compared to Police/Firemen, we are slightly underpaid and particularly for those who actually put themselves in most danger, most often (ie on starting salaries).

But compare the recent top-Brass non-payrise with recent news about pay rises to execs in NHS Trusts and something is clearly going wrong.

As has been mentioned, we used to put up with it because the "perks" were pretty good. Constant erosion of conditions and allowances is making this less so.

But I think the single biggest problem is that retirement "lump sums" in relation to housing prices and way lower than they were for those retiring, for example, 20 years ago. No different than for civvies you might say. Well the difference is that those retiring from the Army have not had the same opportunities to "settle down" as police/firemen etc.
My bold: I understand and knew this would crop up :wink: a valid point and relation to jnr ranks who would clearly enjoy being within the same salary payband as this sector,

HOWEVER ask yourself would/can the UK afford this type of payrise??? debatable?