Will Increment pay be next to get the chop?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Northern1970, Jun 29, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I only ask this as the civil servants and police are going to lose theres after Osborne's cuts last week. No call me a cynic but he couldn't state how much he would be backing the armed forces and take away the yearly rise we get.

That said, next time round could he use the, "well, the police and civil servants have lost it so it's only fair that the military takes it on the chin"

Wouldn't be surprised and if it is the case you could say it was always on the agenda but was delayed for political reasons.

2. Our increment levels are different to the yearly pay rise we get during the budget review. Touching these is totally different to public sector pay freezes.

Sent from my iPhone using The Force

3. JINGO

JINGO War Hero Book Reviewer

So are the Police incremental rises, these have now gone after last weeks spending review.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

4. Elements of pay are all controlled by the AFPRB which is annually reviewed so it's all down to them.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JINGO

JINGO War Hero Book Reviewer

We used to have one of those also. Quick change of the law and that's gone too. I can see a pattern forming.

6. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

MOD civil servants lost the annual increment three years ago. Other departments didn't - one of the reasons why MOD staff morale is so low. I think that a true pay freeze for the armed forces is certainly on the cards.

A lot depends on the report by the AFPRB - so it's a bit of a coincidence that the boss of it was not allowed to renew his contract recently, and a new one is not yet appointed. Suspicious, what, me?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Would that that were so, but the AFPRB operates within the framework set by Government.

A lot depends on the Board's report as OS says, but there is nothing to prevent the Government from removing the increment system if it decides to.

It would do no harm, I think, to start pointing out the advantages of the increment system in relation to the specific requirements of the armed forces.

8. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

In what way. Both are given to recognise people gaining experience in their jobs.

9. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

The armed services are held in high esteem. Politically it would not be the done thing to limit pay progression. Many votes could be lost if the government froze increments within the armed services, especially after the savaging the pay of the military got two years ago.

10. Not had a pay rise in four years, at the upper tier of increments, also the yearly pay rise is negligible. Cost of living has increased massively now am feeling the cost. Pay does not stretch far and the essentials, food water, fuel, has risen dramatically, as do the other admin costs associated with car, housing.

A pay freeze would not honestly affect me, as technically I have a payfreeze. I honestly am not going to achieve much in promotion, so no pay incentive for me. 50 pound a month would not pay for 4 days fuel.

Operational bonus is going to drop saving cost to the treasury when guys pull out, as it treasury pay for Operations, we wont get that back. A primary school teacher gets paid more than me, which in context of responsibility, hours worked, man management, and drop of the hat last minute.com flexibility and family/social displacement is disgusting.

No will not become a primary school teacher any time soon. Hate kids, quite ironic being a clown.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Depends on how it's couched. "The money saved will be spent on expanding primary schools" or "to create a fund to pay for pool nurses" and..... Hello voters!

12. Don't be surprised if ways to limit increments come in - no-one who's MND getting them for instance or having a minimum standard to reach on your CR to qualify for it.

The Armed Forces are only going to be the golden boys of the public sector for so long. As soon as the 'squaddies act like twats' stories outnumber 'Our Brave Boys in Afghanistan' in the papers again it'll be safe for the government to treat them the same as the rest of the public sector.

• Like Like x 6
  13. With tranche 3 this year and tranche 4 to follow I think it will not until after they have gone through. It will be when Afghanistan is drawn down and the military isn't in the public spotlight to the levels it has been this last decade. I can see it coming and as we don't have a voice like those with unions there will be bugger all we can do to stop it. If we tried to bitch about it then the government would spin how much a hit the police and others have taken and we would look like we were whining. They know what they are doing.

And let's not forget, the other lot's will end in 2015, I reckon you will see the increments stop in 2016 or 2017.

14. Not 100% on this (an Adjt or MS guru will be along to correct me if wrong), but I believe that you already forego your increment if you get a C or below on your SJAR/OJAR.

15. The armed forces are currently held in high esteem because they are in far away places getting killed.

As soon as peace breaks out and the normal friday night fighting on the beer stained streets of Britain is resumed, its going to be back to the pre sandy place excursion days faster than a Cameron about face.

Once the repatriations stop, watch how fast the media turn on you. Post 2015, no more 'our boys' and 'our heroes' in the Sun and back to 'drunken squaddie shame'.

• Like Like x 3