Will I be able to wear commando flashes in the Rifles?

That’s only because of the REs relentless search for kudos.

They still haven’t found any :wink:
A friend of mine was a stab BDO and an ex-reg ATO. Wore the Army Darts Team badge on the left and the Flaming Arrsehole (Hobby) badge on the right.

We were at Kineton together for the Annual NATO EOD meet. An RAOC WO1 went ballistic (this being the days when it had become fashionable to wear foreign para wings etc) until my friend pointed to the same ATO course photo he had just been showing me...

...and is a former Para. (Gen).
I'd forgotten about his wings. That figures because he also wears a scrim net as a scarf in proper Action Man stylee! This was de riguer in 5 AB Bde back in the day.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Have seen commando mudguards from Royal Marines, Navy and Army. Have yet to see RAF Commando. All joking aside, is there such a thing as RAF Commando?
Yes, those steely-eyed dealers of mayhem, the RAF Regiment.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
All joking aside, do RAF Commando mudguards exist?
Short answer 'NO'
Any serving airman or woman who has passed the AACC at CTCRM is entitled to wear the red dagger on black triangle badge.

Last edited:

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
In my intake at RMAS there were a couple of guys who were ex-21 or 23 SAS; on the first platoon inspection they were told to replace their upside down wings with BBCs..

I've seen that before too. Not so much "can I wear this badge I earned in my previous service" as "you WILL wear the badge you earned in your previous service".

Unfortunately for the bloke I was acquainted with, this was para wings from 4, 10 or 15 Para (forget which) and it was basic regular training. It was indeed a shit-magnet.
This happened to a mate of mine at Depot. He was well up to the task though ;-) as a few found out.

Do you have to go through Phase 1 again? If you do I wouldn’t bother with the dagger or mudguards, someone will only take exception and why make your life harder?
I was on a course with a RE Cpl who served in 9 Sqn, left, then rejoined after a good few years. When he tipped back up at Phase 1, the instructors didn't expect a recruit to be wearing wings. Rather than p1ss him about, he effectively became their gopher and assistant instructor. Apparently it was the easiest couple of months he ever had.

I was on a course with a RE Cpl who served in 9 Sqn, left, then rejoined after a good few years. When he tipped back up at Phase 1, the instructors didn't expect a recruit to be wearing wings. Rather than p1ss him about, he effectively became their gopher and assistant instructor. Apparently it was the easiest couple of months he ever had.
Something similar happened to me. I rocked up at Basic Training as a qualified B1 Sigs Det Comd from my time in a TA Inf Sigs Pl. After one day of sigs trg at RMPTC I got pulled out to work in the Sigs Store whilst the rest of the squad spent their time wrestling with VP, BATCO and CLANSMAN. It was the easiest two weeks out of six months; repairing headsets, testing radios, drinking brews and acting as gopher for the Sigs Sgt - and not getting fcuked around either!!!

Have seen commando mudguards from Royal Marines, Navy and Army. Have yet to see RAF Commando. All joking aside, is there such a thing as RAF Commando?
There are, but they have no commando mudguards. Instead they wear the RAF Reg mudguards with a commando dagger badge on their sleeve.

Edit. OP you can wear the mudguards. It’s the Commando bit that’s relevant. The Royal Marines/Royal Navy/Army bit just distinguishes which service you are in.

There is an ex bootneck in my RNR unit who wears Navy Commando mudguards.
Why he decided to join the RNR is beyond me but that’s his decision. I bet it was great fun at Raleigh when being taught fieldcraft and weapons handling by overweight PO gunners in reactolite glasses.
creases me up:mrgreen:
Pure combat indicator for a kiddy fiddler who still lives with him mum

Do you have to go through Phase 1 again? If you do I wouldn’t bother with the dagger or mudguards, someone will only take exception and why make your life harder?
this x 100. let some grown up ping you on parade for being incorrectly dressed and ordered you to wear them :mrgreen: all the value and the optics look good, humble quiet professional just getting on with it

Lets be honest you will have a few in the CoC sporting micro peni and looking to embarass ex Royal may as well make it work for you.

Alternatively if you are a phys dodging admin case who wasn't trusted to hump dhobi for the QM kill yourself now rather than bring shame on the Corps in front of pongos

Last edited:

Latest Threads