Will I be able to wear commando flashes in the Rifles?

I presume gender realignment doesn't preclude entry into the RM?
Not at all madam.

We are now accepting applications from, for example people who identify as female, have male genitalia (and intend keeping them) and decide they are Lesbian. They would share the same accommodation & ablutions as females. After all, what could possibly go wrong?

Edit, Ah, just thought, ref the OP ...if you are outside more than 5 years they have a problem with the status of trained rank rejoins.

As a matter of interest, why are you not rejoining the Royal Marines? They are gagging for manpower at present. Assuming you were discharged as of right & remain MedCat P2 (or whatever it is this week) the door normally stays open unless you've blotted your copybook or had ACL reconstructive surgery or some other condition which bars entry into the RM but not necessarily Army.
To be honest I just want a change, the rifles seem to be a decent professional infantry unit so seems the place to go.

Also if I rejoin the corps, I’m pretty sure the protocol is to be pinged straight away for Sigs, clerk, driver, chef etc.

With the rifles as far as I am aware , I can remain an infantry soldier which is exactly what I want to be.

Reference the flashes I am pretty sure I have found the answer here.

Attachments

To be honest I just want a change, the rifles seem to be a decent professional infantry unit so seems the place to go.

Also if I rejoin the corps, I’m pretty sure the protocol is to be pinged straight away for Sigs, clerk, driver, chef etc.

With the rifles as far as I am aware , I can remain an infantry soldier which is exactly what I want to be.

Reference the flashes I am pretty sure I have found the answer here.
Do you have to go through Phase 1 again? If you do I wouldn’t bother with the dagger or mudguards, someone will only take exception and why make your life harder?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Do you have to go through Phase 1 again? If you do I wouldn’t bother with the dagger or mudguards, someone will only take exception and why make your life harder?
Could backfire terribly. Surely not wearing badges you’ve qualified for means you’re not dressed correctly?

I’d say anyone trying to hide previous service from their instructors (or anyone else) probably has some serious integrity issues that need dealing with.

Are you a qualified Commando? Are you now serving in the Army? If the answer is 'yes' to both questions, you can wear the Army Commando shoulder badges on your MTP uniform.
I agree, but ensure your JPA record has the passed Commando cse competency on it.

Could backfire terribly. Surely not wearing badges you’ve qualified for means you’re not dressed correctly?

I’d say anyone trying to hide previous service from their instructors (or anyone else) probably has some serious integrity issues that need dealing with.
We used to hide our AT flashes on promotion courses, because MTIs never liked ATs.

A friend of mines son transferred into the RE from the RN. His new CO ordered him to continue to wear his Submariner's Dolphins.
That’s only because of the REs relentless search for kudos.

They still haven’t found any :wink:

The Approval to Enter letter would outline your terms & conditions of re-entry & outline which spec, if any under which you may rejoin. (There's no obligation to accept it, but maybe worth a punt to see). Chef is no longer an RM SQ, incidentally, but I get the reservations - if you don't list a preferred spec, you'll most likely get pinged for something other than GD after a couple of years.

At risk of stating the bleeding obvious, sometimes a decent SQ can come in quite handy when it comes to reverting to a civilian employment and whilst we all like to think we'll want to be at the sharp end when in our mid twenties, in my experience, most people start realising their fallibility after a few operational tours - it was certainly the case during the Herrick years when the average Royal served 6 years, having used-up a few of their nine lives.

I doubt it'll be an issue, especially if the OP is posted to 1 RIFLES who were in 3 Cdo Bde for a while. As an aside, when I was in basic training someone who was ex-FFL (2 REP) turned up in another squad without his French wings on. The CSM (ex 1 PARA) found out about it and went mental - your man had his wings on the next day!!

Have seen commando mudguards from Royal Marines, Navy and Army. Have yet to see RAF Commando. All joking aside, is there such a thing as RAF Commando?

I doubt it'll be an issue, especially if the OP is posted to 1 RIFLES who were in 3 Cdo Bde for a while. As an aside, when I was in basic training someone who was ex-FFL (2 REP) turned up in another squad without his French wings on. The CSM (ex 1 PARA) found out about it and went mental - your man had his wings on the next day!!
I've seen that before too. Not so much "can I wear this badge I earned in my previous service" as "you WILL wear the badge you earned in your previous service".

Unfortunately for the bloke I was acquainted with, this was para wings from 4, 10 or 15 Para (forget which) and it was basic regular training. It was indeed a shit-magnet.

ETA: There is a guy from the MPGS at Whale Island who wears his dagger and Army Commando badges.

.....you were a NAVY Commando..... that doesn't entitle you to the Army Commando flash...
Except, RM who transfer to RN, then wear RN Commando flashes. Army Commandos I’ve personally known to tx to the RM have worn RM Commando flashes. Once a commando, always a commando, there are no different levels or courses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest Threads