Will I be able to wear commando flashes in the Rifles?

Hi all

I’ve been a civvie for a few years now after serving in the Royal Marines since leaving school (for 5 years).

I am currently undergoing the process of joining the rifles and was wondering if I am entitled to wear ‘Army commando flashes’ when at a battalion . It’s my understanding that I won’t be able to wear a green beret unless attached to 3 commando brigade, but was unsure about the flashes.

Many thanks

I think you can wear the dagger badge, but not the flashes.

Edit: Not worn British uniform for a while though, so could be totally wrong.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
It certainly used to be the case that the mudguards were only for in-role, i.e. at the Brigade or in some of the darker crevices of the Naval Establishment, but that the cutlery was always displayable.

Best bet - ask your new RSM.

Are you a qualified Commando? Are you now serving in the Army? If the answer is 'yes' to both questions, you can wear the Army Commando shoulder badges on your MTP uniform.

That sounds like that conversation will be...

RSM "If I don't have commando flashes then YOU don't have commando flashes"
Which sounds like bollocks to me... If you are a course-qualified commando, parachutist, diver, air despatcher, etc. then you are allowed to wear your course-qualification badges. You earned it, you can wear it.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Hi all

I’ve been a civvie for a few years now after serving in the Royal Marines since leaving school (for 5 years).

I am currently undergoing the process of joining the rifles and was wondering if I am entitled to wear ‘Army commando flashes’ when at a battalion . It’s my understanding that I won’t be able to wear a green beret unless attached to 3 commando brigade, but was unsure about the flashes.

Many thanks
Really? What colour beret do The Rifles wear then? ;)

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
That sounds like that conversation will be...

RSM "If I don't have commando flashes then YOU don't have commando flashes"
To be fair, I joined my regiment in the same month the RAC Parachute Squadron was disbanded (which was sad, cos I'd hankered after giving it a go) and throughout my time, there were shed loads of people who'd returned from there and wore the beret and wings. None of the three RSMs during that period did.

Then a young lad turned up who'd joined 1 Para and got disillusioned, so he transferred to his local cavalry regiment. The Para Sqn mafia made it abundantly clear to him that if he was going to wear the kit (he was entitled to), he'd better live up to it. He went on to be Army Boxing Champion, so I guess he did.

Last edited:
Hi all

Many thanks
Probably fine to wear the dagger, but I think the Commando flashes will annoy the Warrants, so probably not. It may also smack of "shooting a line" to the other blokes....

Are you a qualified Commando? Are you now serving in the Army? If the answer is 'yes' to both questions, you can wear the Army Commando shoulder badges on your MTP uniform.
Indeed, two of my blokes where RMR and transferred across.
Army Commando rockers are quite cool IMO.

Hi all

Many thanks
I think you can still wear it on your little black dress on your runs ashore, just to avoid confusion :)

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
There is an ex bootneck in my RNR unit who wears Navy Commando mudguards.
Why he decided to join the RNR is beyond me but that’s his decision. I bet it was great fun at Raleigh when being taught fieldcraft and weapons handling by overweight PO gunners in reactolite glasses.

Hi all

Many thanks
As a matter of interest, why are you not rejoining the Royal Marines? They are gagging for manpower at present. Assuming you were discharged as of right & remain MedCat P2 (or whatever it is this week) the door normally stays open unless you've blotted your copybook or had ACL reconstructive surgery or some other condition which bars entry into the RM but not necessarily Army.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
As a matter of interest, why are you not rejoining the Royal Marines? They are gagging for manpower at present. Assuming you were discharged as of right & remain MedCat P2 (or whatever it is this week) the door normally stays open unless you've blotted your copybook or had ACL reconstructive surgery or some other condition which bars entry into the RM but not necessarily Army.
I presume gender realignment doesn't preclude entry into the RM?

Latest Threads