Will I be able to join the Parachute Regiment ?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by no_mr_kitty, Aug 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

I am interested in join the Parachute Regiment, but am worried that my criminal record may stop me.
    A few years ago, I was arrested for ABH, trespass and obstruction of a railway. For the offence of ABH I was given a caution. For the trespass and obstruction of a railway I received a 12 month youth offending order, which I completed over 1 year ago. I tried to stay out of trouble, but a few months ago, I was arrested because pellets from an air rifle I was using when into a neighbours garden. I received a fine of £208, which has now been paid in full. I understand that the army needs honest and reliable people, and a criminal record shows that at times I am neither. I really want a change to prove I can do something right. I have emailed the Parachute Regiment and received a helpful reply saying that I could be stopped from joining for between 6 months to 10 years. Is there anybody that tell is more detail, how long a could be barred for. 6 months to 10 years is a big range. I am currently unable to visit the career's office due to some problems at home.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
    Nathan

2. Look at your PM inbox.

3. Try contacting your Careers Office directly.

I believe under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (-?) you are required to prove you are rehabilitated by not offending in a certain time frame and thus the conviction becomes ‘spent’.

It’s quite a confusing system, so best get it from the horses mouth. There is a little info on the Army Jobs website HERE.

But the restrictions for GBH are around 5 years, so I would imagine ABH would be similar. But best give your local ACIO a call mate.

4. "pellets from an air rifle I was using when into a neighbours garden"
    hahaha

• Like Like x 1
  5. I was shooting in my back garden and some pellets hit the wood backstop I was using and ricocheted off and hit someone.

6. My personal view is that your well suited to the para reg with your previous escapades !! To be honest, your crimes are spent and in the current climate Im sure they want as many boots as possible.

Best of luck.

7. AKA "that cnut next door caught me shooting his gran"

8. Thanks Lewis.
    I really hope my stupid mistakes don't cost me a career in the army.

• Like Like x 1
  9. have you tried the first link i sent you Mr kitty.....will answer your question straight away!

10. Thanks for the link.
    The live chat is closed until Tuesday, so I will try then.
    Until then I will keep my fingers crossed !

11. Why wait? Why not telephone them tomorrow?

You will get the number from here.

12. I'll phone them tomorrow.
    Thanks

13. Good luck with that. Thread locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.