Will Dominic Cummings be needing a new job soon?

Should Dominic Cummings resign over this scandal and violation of blatant lockdown advice?

• Yes

Votes: 52 21.7%
  • No

Votes: 124 51.7%
  • Divided

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • Don't care

Votes: 56 23.3%

• Total voters

Niamac

GCM
Thread drift

We thought that Kuenssberg had been taken suddenly older or maybe make-up and/or camera are just a bit fed up with her.

Cummings was a bit like Machiavelli (on a poor day). He has some reasonable lines (Civil Service not up to snuff, too many "Management Development" personnel moves and too little owning projects/campaigns.) I did like the line that "Tory MPs are morons" but it is stupid to fire off ammunition when there is no chance of doing damage. His blogs are rambling but there are bits of gold among a lot of dross. The proof that the Government machine is useless is the amount of money they spend on Management Consultants.

Thread drift off.

PS Machiavelli's Discourses are much better but tougher reading. "The Prince" was the version with coloured pictures for the hard of thinking.

It's Priti Patel for goodness sake. She doesn't work on things. She just talks endlessly about working on things.

Ah, I see you too saw her in front of the Home Affairs select committee today.

Given me strength, even if I don't like what someone is saying I can admire an argument. She was just vacuous.

I doubt that anyone, even his most slavish supporters actually believes anything that Bozo says. He is an over promising and under delivering bullshitter who is hugely out of his depth.

He relies on the loyalty of his incompetent cabinet who he is unable to sack and therefore they will blindly back him.

Cummings is merely reinforcing what most know.
Much like the Trump debate. I think the core of why your line doesn't sell well on the doorsteps is people look at the leaders and MPs that came before Boris took power and don't see anything that doesn't match your description.. Major, May, Cameron, Brown and Blair. We've had some dreadful prime ministers and Blair was the worst of the lot in terms of dishonesty and under-delivery.

Cummings touched on the poor material in Parliament and perhaps he himself missed the point that this Government might not have a plan, but neither does any of the political parties. The flaw in our system is our politics before brexit had lost any meaning to the British people and become simply a popularity contest and thanks to a small shift towards populism the winners of love island are now in No.10 Downing Street.

Last edited:
Which is why I continual recommend this book.

I'd add simple solutions to complex problems will always sell, especially when you're willing to do anything to gain power and are not actually worried about issues of susbtance, rather more the apprearance of power.

Which is Johnson to a snug (and indeed smug) fit.

The Mekon is another matter, given he appeared to genuinely want to affect change in his opinion and was willing to use and dispose of Johnson. I find the description of Johnson as a trolley convincing, likewise the one (I wish I could remember where I read it) that he was basically a labrador. As long as he's loved, has food and something to shag he's quite happy.

Either that or Johnson is some Koyser Soze who's had everyone over his whole life, and is some great genuis - rather than simply rode a wave to the beach he wanted to get to. That takes a bit of skill to recognise tides and currents, but that's it. Not even if you can see the 50 year wave coming. Just like the ex-Presidents, this lot are leaving a lot of death in their wake.

As to Cummings, one wonders how someone who can go on TV and cheerfully describe manouevring to impose and dispose of a British Prime Minister managed to get through DV vetting? While he was still in "contempt of Parliament". Another "oops" I suppose from people willing to discard protocol, they wanted him in the tent and so rules were either bent or broken to get him there. Oh dear, that's working out well isn't it?

Cummings I suspect is a fan of Machiavelli and if memory serves you need a social contract between leader and people of a city state. In our system of government, its leader and party and I wonder if Boris should ponder the contract written by cummings for his 80 seat majority, all the focus now on telegraph and keeping his party happy may well backfire one day with the people. Plus, you do still need to carry a big stick on occasion and wielding it at friends is a dangerous game.
If cummmings is so politically adept to be labelled 'machiavellian' how come he made so.many obvious errors of judgement around Barnar d castlegate?
I suggest that most of this grotesque little creature's Machiavellian reputation is a media construct, from the 2019 drama documentary 'Vote Leave' (when he was played by B. Cumberbatch with an Australian accent)', through his symbiotic briefings with favoured journo s (I'm looking at you laura, you fleshy. trombone) to his present dummy-spitting tantrums. As others have pointed out, not so long ago the bbc portrayed Durham's answer to Gollum as the personification of evil, but now they hang on his every cancerous word. Why ? Because cummings and the media are made of the same treacherous stuff. And the bbc made cummings.

Last edited:

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
If c innings is so politically adept to be labelled 'machiavellian' how come he made so.many obvious errors of judgement around Barnar d castlegate?

There was apparently a different reason for that charade.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Care to enlighten us?
I shall have to rummage through recent days newsprint to try and find it but it certainly wasn't for headaches or spectacles.

Truxx

LE
IIRC there's a conspiracy theory that he was visiting a pharma company for a super-secret meeting because, obviously, phones/Teams/travel for work being exempt from lock down aren't things that exist
And doing so, in order to facilitate something like developing a mass testing system, coming up with ventilators or PPE or even an early venture into vaccination production and distribution, would all have been belting reasons to head north.

As conspiracy theories go, that particular one is pants.

If cummmings is so politically adept to be labelled 'machiavellian' how come he made so.many obvious errors of judgement around Barnar d castlegate?
I suggest that most of this grotesque little creature's Machiavellian reputation is a media construct, from the 2019 drama documentary 'Vote Leave (when he displayed by B. Cumberbatch with an Australian accent)', through his symbiotic briefings with favoured journo s (I'm looking at you laura, you fleshy. trombone) to his present dummy-spitting tantrums. As others have pointed out, not so long ago the bbc portrayed Durham's answer to Gollum as the personification of evil, but now they hang on his every cancerous word. Why ? Because cummings and the media are made of the same treacherous stuff. And the bbc made cummings.
The higher up the ladder you rise, the less surrounded you are by people willing to try and argue the truth and more by people who tell you want you want to hear. I think cummings is one of those kinds of people and most politicians try to have one of those people around. Of course, the trouble with being told things you don't want to hear. Is it can become wearisome after a while and why I thought Johnson was making a big mistake, binning him off.

Your right the BBC and the opposition to Boris, has now rallied behind someone they're were once calling sauron. My sense is they're feel Boris had became vulnerable after cummings went and what better than use the instrument of brexit against the man who got it done.

Last edited:
Which is why I continual recommend this book.

I'd add simple solutions to complex problems will always sell, especially when you're willing to do anything to gain power and are not actually worried about issues of susbtance, rather more the apprearance of power.

Which is Johnson to a snug (and indeed smug) fit.

The Mekon is another matter, given he appeared to genuinely want to affect change in his opinion and was willing to use and dispose of Johnson. I find the description of Johnson as a trolley convincing, likewise the one (I wish I could remember where I read it) that he was basically a labrador. As long as he's loved, has food and something to shag he's quite happy.

Either that or Johnson is some Koyser Soze who's had everyone over his whole life, and is some great genuis - rather than simply rode a wave to the beach he wanted to get to. That takes a bit of skill to recognise tides and currents, but that's it. Not even if you can see the 50 year wave coming. Just like the ex-Presidents, this lot are leaving a lot of death in their wake.

As to Cummings, one wonders how someone who can go on TV and cheerfully describe manouevring to impose and dispose of a British Prime Minister managed to get through DV vetting? While he was still in "contempt of Parliament". Another "oops" I suppose from people willing to discard protocol, they wanted him in the tent and so rules were either bent or broken to get him there. Oh dear, that's working out well isn't it?
This is where we differ at a fundamental level... Generally I don't dispute most populists are hopeless, but the reason isn't how the book or you sell it. Clausewitz once talked about the friction of war and its the same with politics. You have to take risks to win anything and the bottom line is the simple or elegant solution to a complex problem, is actually the solution to the problem but requires a politician to act unilaterally and politicians aren't noted for courage.

The populist who doesn't believe in taking risks, or the cause itself will always get found out eventually. I think the best example of that was Tsipras in Greece, who simply caved to the troika under enormous pressure to compromise.

This is where we differ at a fundamental level... Generally I don't dispute most populists are hopeless, but the reason isn't how the book or you sell it. Clausewitz once talked about the friction of war and its the same with politics. You have to take risks to win anything and the bottom line is the simple or elegant solution to a complex problem, is actually the solution to the problem but requires a politician to act unilaterally and politicians aren't noted for courage.

The populist who doesn't believe in taking risks, or the cause itself will always get found out eventually. I think the best example of that was Tsipras in Greece, who simply caved to the troika under enormous pressure to compromise.

Have you read the book?

It doesn't sound like you have.

Given me strength, even if I don't like what someone is saying I can admire an argument. She was just vacuous.
Vacuous is an aspiration for her....the accent half Thames Estuary and half full blown chav get on my wick

I suggest that most of this grotesque little creature's Machiavellian reputation is a media construct, from the 2019 drama documentary 'Vote Leave (when he displayed by B. Cumberbatch with an Australian accent)', through his symbiotic briefings with favoured journo s (I'm looking at you laura, you fleshy. trombone) to his present dummy-spitting tantrums. As others have pointed out, not so long ago the bbc portrayed Durham's answer to Gollum as the personification of evil, but now they hang on his every cancerous word. Why ? Because cummings and the media are made of the same treacherous stuff. And the bbc made cummings.
The Conservative Party made Cummings, no point trying to blame the BBC post facto.

Have you read the book?

It doesn't sound like you have.
Yes and his previous book around the revolt of the right as well... He argues Farage, Brexit, Trump are all symptoms of a breakdown in the fundamentals of democracy. That breakdown isn't racism, or the right has developed some evil ideology as portrayed by the guardian newspaper and CNN.

But its actually a deep 'reaction' to becoming marginalized by a species he referred too as the global villagers and its cognitive support base from universities who had rigged politics to reflect only its niche interests and cancelled or excluded any other opinions.

I didn't actually see that, but based upon past experience of her, I can easily envisage what a poor show she would have put up.

Her latest solution to the illegal migrant crisis is to throw large amounts money at the French authorities. This is on top of the money that we are already throwing at them. No indication of any strategy or any guarantee of what we can expect for the money. Just an opportunity for her to erroneously claim that she is doing something.

I can see that her reputation as a workplace bully stems from her being functionally useless. What she lacks in capability, she disguises by chucking her weight around. That seldom fools anyone.