Will Dominic Cummings be needing a new job soon?

Should Dominic Cummings resign over this scandal and violation of blatant lockdown advice?

• Yes

Votes: 52 21.7%
  • No

Votes: 124 51.7%
  • Divided

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • Don't care

Votes: 56 23.3%

• Total voters
Machiavelli was more a writer on "virtu" (which did require the wisdom of the leader to lead and govern the subjects) rather than a contract

Social Contract was jean-Jacques Rousseau and his theories, which really became part of the classical liberal contractual citizen-state (I would suggest) relationship.
Machiavelli was a bitter failure writing in exile, begging for a job in the corridors of power.
Sounds strangely familiar...

Just out of idle interest, what is the term for destabilisation of a sitting and duly elected Government and actively pushing for it's downfall?

The question popped into my head while watching Law and Order, funnily enough.

No your right, I just forget he was the precursor to something later which became the social contract.. Its relation to the thread was simply the sense from listening to Cummings, that he's always advocating a relationship in the same sense, with the idea of a leader surrounded by his cognitive lieutenants(weirdos) sorting everything out and then the people, with parliament and the civil service tasked with doing as they're are told.

To be frank, I wouldn't be at all shocked if he ended up in the US. They're have Steve Bannon, but the republicans could do with somebody better able to take the ideas and coalesce them into a workable plan.
I would think the Americans wouldn't want him.
What with his blatant betrayals, dodgy business record in Russia, liking for undemocratic practices, admitted deception..
Sorry, is your little tummy finger trembling again?

Machiavelli was a bitter failure writing in exile, begging for a job in the corridors of power.
Sounds strangely familiar...

I have to disagree there.

Now The Prince was a bit of a grovelling job application. However, Machiavelli sounds like a man whom you could have had a cup of wine with and played dice.

His play The Mandrake is about a menage a trois and cuckolding the older man to his satisfaction of gaining a son, and to the happiness of his wife and the young man in love with her.

He strikes me as far more down to earth and honourable than the Mekon.

No your right, I just forget he was the precursor to something later which became the social contract.. Its relation to the thread was simply the sense from listening to Cummings, that he's always advocating a relationship in the same sense, with the idea of a leader surrounded by his cognitive lieutenants(weirdos) sorting everything out and then the people, with parliament and the civil service tasked with doing as they're are told.

To be frank, I wouldn't be at all shocked if he ended up in the US. They're have Steve Bannon, but the republicans could do with somebody better able to take the ideas and coalesce them into a workable plan.

Machiavelli most salient point is that one can judge a chief by his choice of counsel.

Johnson should have been made to read Chapter 23,

It is that of flatterers, of whom courts are full, because men are so self-complacent in their own affairs, and in a way so deceived in them, that they are preserved with difficulty from this pest, and if they wish to defend themselves they run the danger of falling into contempt.

or on advisors.
Therefore a wise prince ought to hold a third course by choosing the wise men in his state, and giving to them only the liberty of speaking the truth to him, and then only of those things of which he inquires, and of none others; but he ought to question them upon everything, and listen to their opinions, and afterwards form his own conclusions.

Or just possibly, I missed the chapter where Machiavelli tells the prince to be scared of whatever "research group" springs from the backbench populated by mentalists.

images

or

1626875977638.jpeg

I would think the Americans wouldn't want him.
What with his blatant betrayals, dodgy business record in Russia, liking for undemocratic practices, admitted deception..
Sorry, is your little tummy finger trembling again?

ISWYDT!

I have to disagree there.

Now The Prince was a bit of a grovelling job application. However, Machiavelli sounds like a man whom you could have had a cup of wine with and played dice.

His play The Mandrake is about a menage a trois and cuckolding the older man to his satisfaction of gaining a son, and to the happiness of his wife and the young man in love with her.

He strikes me as far more down to earth and honourable than the Mekon.

My one takeaway from The Prince was that Machiavelli was the biggest, toadiest, sycophantiest arrselicker in history. He made Uriah Heep look like Rambo.

There's a parlour game. Which current politicos most closely resemble Tedsson's description of Greasy Nick.

"All of them" is not acceptable.

Truxx

LE

What like the plan that he assisted Boris to come up with?

Oh hang on

Boris apparently didn't have a plan.

Who's fault is that then?

DC with (another) shot to the foot.

My one takeaway from The Prince was that Machiavelli was the biggest, toadiest, sycophantiest arrselicker in history. He made Uriah Heep look like Rambo.

There's a parlour game. Which current politicos most closely resemble Tedsson's description of Greasy Nick.

"All of them" is not acceptable.

It's not the total of his work though, is my point.

Are you sure that they would take on a bloke, that when his services we're no longer required (I'm being polite) proceeds to tell-tales via every medium possible, including national TV, to tell everyone how crap and useless you are?

That bloke?

You forget the BBC and Guardian, who seem to think their role is as Leaders of the Opposition. Plenty of "challenge" there!
I know who is challenged....get that mirror out.

I've got the box on in the background(WFH still) and between Sky/BBC I find it astonishing how a person goes from utter s*** and wouldn't believe a word that comes out of that mans mouth, to sage of our time and all he needed do to turn his reputation around, was to slag off the PM.
Cummings has always struck me as dishonest but capable. Johnson as dishonest and not capable. Nothing's changed, if Johnson had been a leader he'd have punted Cummings after Durham.

<snigger>
1626885183662.png

Are you sure that they would take on a bloke, that when his services we're no longer required (I'm being polite) proceeds to tell-tales via every medium possible, including national TV, to tell everyone how crap and useless you are?

That bloke?
Its a very good point, but you could keep him at arms length and I just get the feel he could be the next karl rove if he put his mind to it.... And to answer Tedsson, nothing wrong with being a toadie as most people in positions of power have greased that pole.

I doubt that anyone, even his most slavish supporters actually believes anything that Bozo says. He is an over promising and under delivering bullshitter who is hugely out of his depth.

He relies on the loyalty of his incompetent cabinet who he is unable to sack and therefore they will blindly back him.

Cummings is merely reinforcing what most know.

I doubt that anyone, even his most slavish supporters actually believes anything that Bozo says. He is an over promising and under delivering bullshitter who is hugely out of his depth.

He relies on the loyalty of his incompetent cabinet who he is unable to sack and therefore they will blindly back him.

Cummings is merely reinforcing what most know.

Shirley you are not suggesting Bozo is a bit:

1626889014330.png