Will Dominic Cummings be needing a new job soon?

Should Dominic Cummings resign over this scandal and violation of blatant lockdown advice?

• Yes

Votes: 37 20.1%
  • No

Votes: 105 57.1%
  • Divided

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • Don't care

Votes: 34 18.5%

• Total voters
Unless there was wide-scale naughtiness at one location I couldn't see it any other way.

As always with the CS, the devil is in the fine print. Thanks for pointing that out.

In terms of sackings, I can only remember two in the true sense of the word.

One was a CS who set up his own ficticious companies so he could exploit the Local Purchase procedures - he placed fake orders and submitted false invoices for payment. He got sent down for a stay at HM's Pleasure.

The other was also an LPO clerk who was caught pulling sickies and claiming sickness benefits whilst she was working on-site at her husband's building firm. She was caught when one of Sqn's officers went to the building site with the intention of buying one of the houses and there she was in the sales office when she was supposed to be immobilised at home with severe back problems.

Couldn't get rid of useless CS for love nor money.
I knew a couple of direct employment Council parks/gardens guys got fired for doing a cash job.

Bloke in pub wanted a tree down and some landscaping. They turned up on his drive, in the Council Transit, started work.

Bloke from pub turned out to be the Council bigwig running their department....

Well, I don't know - sometimes circumstances conspire against you (like having 3 PARA in your brigade...).

Then of course there's always Tony Wilson to fall back upon in 1982...
I always thought that he was badly treated. Anyway, returning to my original point, whenever I here that a CO or Bde Comd has screwed up, I always wonder at the integrity of the CoC that got them promoted to that position in the first place.

Or you pay a chunk of money to make the problem (and any Tribunal) go away - the phrase tends to be "What's their magic number?", quick negotiation and agree what nice words HR will say about them if asked.
I spent a year working for a firm where the primary role of the HR department appeared to be exactly that, normally because the CEO had a habit of sacking people without doing things properly.

Family firm, privately owned, and the owner was an utter ****** who didn't really understand that "I own this" doesn't mean "I can ignore employment law". Add a bad case of "shooting the messenger", and he'd managed to create a firm where his direct reports were yes-men (because anyone with insufficient admiration for his Godlike management, was seen as a target) and rather a lot of effort went into arse-covering by said direct reports.

Unsurprisingly, it had a huge turnover of professional staff in the depths of a recession (about 30-40% per year, from my time). Owner's son eventually took it on, who had learned his management style from Daddy. Another utter ******, talked a good fight, watch your back if there's blame to be shifted, type.

I did manage to f**k up the idiot son's attempt at a constructive dismissal of one of my team by dobbing him in to HR, but I was desperately trying to get myself out of there...

3ToedSloth

Old-Salt
London isnt the real world. London reminds me of twitter where if you went off what was being said on there then we would definitely still be in the EU, Corbyn would be Prime Minister and Clinton would be the president. Its an echo chamber where you all swallow your own shite.
Good job that ARRSE has such a broad spectrum of informed opinions that it could never fall into that trap...

I knew a couple of direct employment Council parks/gardens guys got fired for doing a cash job.

Bloke in pub wanted a tree down and some landscaping. They turned up on his drive, in the Council Transit, started work.

Bloke from pub turned out to be the Council bigwig running their department....
Of course, just to point out that Dominic Cummings isn't a member of the civil service, per se. SPADs are their own category.

And therein was the problem. The station's Civil Admin would find every excuse for not taking the matter on - and I'm not talking about a single station, this was common across several stations I was at. In one of the cases I mentioned in an earlier post, the problem person was a very close friend of the Civil Admin Officer (they had been at school together and were near neighbours) and this fact only came to light following the discovery of her moonlighting and questions being asked as to why no action had been taken over her sickness record despite it being reported. Then there was the hurdle of the Whitley Council - don't know if it still exists. It may be very different now but this was several years ago.
Stations? Is this British Rail you’re talking about?

Coalisland? (Didn't the CO and RSM get hoofed as well?)
Yup - Tom Longland (R Anglian). No idea about the Bn posts but I wouldn’t be surprised.

I always thought that he was badly treated. Anyway, returning to my original point, whenever I here that a CO or Bde Comd has screwed up, I always wonder at the integrity of the CoC that got them promoted to that position in the first place.
Who? Longland or Wilson?

when was the last time the Army actually sacked a waste-of-space NCO or officer, rather than post them off somewhere else, to make them Someone Else's Problem?
The policy used to be to promote them so that they got posted out to another unit. Doesn't that happen anymore?

Wilson. I didn't know about Longland. ISTR the Royal Marines replacing Comd 3 Cdo X in Afghanistan too.
Roger Lane - not sure that a competence issue, likewise Longland was unfortunate.

Give me lucky Generals!

Hopefully a line can be drawn under the media stoked Cumming storm in a teacup now:

Hopefully a line can be drawn under the media stoked Cumming storm in a teacup now:
I doubt it, now that it's been discovered that his family allegedly converted a swimming pool into the accommodation that he stayed in, without planning permission. He is also allegedly the joint owner of this building, so is jointly liable.
He might not need a new job, thanks to whatever dirt it is he has on Shagger, but it looks like he may need to get involved in some demolition work.

Also, I don't think the issue is going away that easily. Even the Tory Pravda aren't letting it go.

A fifth of Britons are sticking to lockdown less than they were, with rule-breakers across the country citing Dominic Cummings as the reason they are leaving the house more, a poll has shown.

New data from YouGov shows that 21 per cent of Britons are breaking lockdown more than they were before, with a third of those relaxing their attitude naming Dominic Cummings as the reason.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
A fifth of Britons are sticking to lockdown less than they were, with rule-breakers across the country citing Dominic Cummings as the reason they are leaving the house more, a poll has shown.
That is a complete joke and only believed by those who want to. As soon as the restrictions were lifted and the sun shining then the mongs would have been out and about anyway. Cummings is just an excuse - they would have done it anyway.

Latest Threads