Will Commander of Guantanamo prison be disciplined?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Jul 14, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/07/13/senate.guantanao.ap/index.html

'Yes, it is a visible progress'.

Should the commander be disciplined?

In this context one can ask, is he really guilty? Private is in jail while general would be (?) at maximum only discilpined.
  2. No he wont. He didnt violate SOP nor the UCMJ.
  3. As KGB is agent provocature probably the front man for small office I don't take his posts too seriously.
    However what happens at Gitmo will set the policy for future handling of captured troops and they will not be recieving Honey baked chicken and Pilu rice.
  4. Actually that is incorrect. Gitmo doesnt house members of an enemy armed forces, rather it houses stateless terrorists who are not protected by the Geneva Convention. I would much prefer the start of military tribunals followed by executions. These fellows are unlikley to see the error in their ways. In fact those who have been released many have resumed attacks on the US or allied forces. If the enemy captures a US soldier there is no doubt about his fate.
  5. Whatever happened to those military tribunals T6??? They've been in Gitmo a couple of years now... why haven't they started the tribunals?

6. Doesn't it contain alleged terrorists?
    I wasn't aware any had been tried, let alone found guilty.
  7. I think the evidential trail might be more than open to question and if you were at the top of the tree you might be a little nervous about folks from a future generation digging you out of retirement and giving you the Pinochet treatment.
  8. I think there might also be some nervousness about this whole idea of "illegal combatants" not being covered by the Geneva Conventions. The Conventions apply to the obligations of the capturing Power, as far as I recall and they aren't optional. Since 1945 or so the requirement for franc-tireurs and partisans to display a clearly identifiable badge, mark or emblem at the point of entry into combat and to belong to a recognised armed organisation has lapsed, so, actually, legally, the US of A is on very shaky ground.

That said, professionally, it has to be noted that the end state achieved from torture is a subject who'll say what he thinks will make the torture stop, while the end state from interrogation is a subject who is telling you the truth.
  9. Yes it will be VERY interesting to see if these alleged terrorists ever get a trial...............the way of trying such people in Europe appears to be carrying on as normal.
  10. The truth?

You cant handle the truth!!

11. Let's face it, the prisoners in Guantanamo are the muppets who were too slow or too thick to run away from a firefight. Oh, and don't forget the ones sold to the US by the locals who snatched up any foreigner they could find to make a quick buck - they told the US rep what they wanted to hear and it was easy money.

If any of them had any useful information it's way out of date by now. Keeping them locked up without trial merely serves to emphasis how utterly ineffective the US is at info ops. Either free them or try them and lock them up for their crimes. Keeping them in jail does more to harm US interests and aid the opponents of the US than anything they could do if freed.
  12. http://www.mosnews.com/news/2005/06/28/vakhitov.shtml

Few days ago I had heard interview with him on liberal pro-Western radio "Echo of Moscow". Maybe he is a liar, maybe not, who knows? It is his story:

Airat accepted invitation (it was his great mistake) of one Chechen to attend his wedding ceremony and was captured by local guerilas as a 'Russian spy'. Later Airat was released and was ... arrested by FSB (Russian special service). He spent long enough term in jail but was released only because FSB hadn't any evidences and failed to bring his case in the court. Airat feared that he could be arrested in any moment. He fled to Tadjikistan ... but was captured by local Islamists (they got information that he was regarded by Chechens as a Russian spy). Airat was moved to Afghan territory, to the camp of the Islamists, jail there was like a hell. Islamists transferred him to Talibs and you know the end of the story.

What is true in this story? The man really spent time in Russian jail. As many former Chechen guerillas are now in local police ans special services then unlikely that he was a militant in Chechnya, at least anybody could remember him (all not Chechens can be easily spotted).

Imagine on one momet that the whole his story is a truth, then is his detention fair? Had Americans enough causes to torture him. What if Russian FSB would torture even one American or Briton?
  13. Tommyhawk don't be pedantic.
    The US treatment of the Gitmo detainees will set standars for captured 'combatans' in the years to cum.
    Intensive interrogation for 20 out of 24 hrs as was reported yesterday is not on.
    I have no sympathy with al Q or any of that breed but Bush's policy is wrong. Offering up a few at the bottom of the chain of command is digraceful.
    And before you say "Well who's going to do anything about it ?"
    Watch and wait, time and history have a way of catching up.
  14. If you or I were guard commander, orderly sergeant, orderly officer or duty field officer and similar abuse went on in the guardroom then our heads would roll.
  15. Gents I am not anti American. I watch the events of 9/11 on CNN as they happened and was horrified when it dawned on me what the objects falling where. Roast or Jump not a nice choice.
    I understood the attack on the Taliban and al Q and that was quite justified and perfectly legal.
    But at this point the US decided to bend the rules of warfare. They entred the "Lawyers world".
    They can Gob and waffle all they want but it will be the Poor Bloody Infantryman, Tom, G I Joe, or Fritz, Dirty Pierre who will have to answer for Gitmo on sum foriegn field.
    We all know how US servicemen where treated by the N. Vietnamese, disgracful but I do wonder what will happen if one one Politico was in line for the standard of treatment that the Bush administration is now setting.
    I know Macain is now a senator and the name of the CIA's top man in Lebanon, said to have been flayed, slips my mind.