Will changing units help me get my mojo back?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Tartan_Terrier, Nov 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been at my current unit for the last 10 years, and to be perfectly honest I've been sick of it for a while.

For the last three years I've said to myself "Just give it one more year". Well the year has finally ended....

I've been looking at other units within reasonable driving distance of me, but haven't actually taken the plunge yet. This is mainly because I'm worried about jumping ship, and then finding the same problems at my new unit.

I'm aware that I'll probably have to drop a rank or two, and I think I'm okay with that, but I must admit I do like having a bit of influence on the course of things, so it may not be as easy for me as I presume.

My other option is to drop rank, and carry on in my current unit as a 'selective soldier' (i.e. only turn up for things I want to do).

Obviously no-one here can make my mind up for me on whether I should do it or not, but I'd appreciate it if anyone who has switched units could give some feedback on how they found the experience.

2. I thought u were in Denmark
  3. I posted out to an RTC and have found the experience quite refreshing. This was helped by having a couple of the lads from the Battalion with me, and it's been great to work with other capbadges. I also found I was beginning to lose interestafter 10 years, the Bn had restructured and my Coy disbanded, and I was left doing a pump job in HQ Coy (having been a Pl Sgt), so was due for a break, I'm now recharged and looking forward to returning to the Bn in a years time.
    Might be worth considering your RTC, or an OTC. Meaning you can either return to your unit or move, on completion of Posting, having seen how green the grass is for two years.
  4. I am indeed Polar.
  5. Spot on
  6. Mr T
    Are you anywhere near London RTC; we are always looking for 'a few good men'
  7. Polar should be able to answer this one.
    He's had more transfers than Paul Gascoigne.
  8. TA I think has regs that says you maintain your rank on transfer but you must be qualified for that rank with 2 years or you drop to the rank you are qualfied at.

I've hovered over this option aswell, but then I suddenly find myself enjoying every weekend.

What sort of unit are you considering? I've found Mortars to be the best, but really it was the people that made up the unit that counted the most.
  9. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I'd vote for the RTC - but ONLY if you can commit for a LOT of weekends. Done it myself, and to get a wider view, it's well worth it. Beware of the commitment, though.
  10. You'll need to give a bit of a clue as to where you can train, plus what you can offer.
  11. Chaps

I think TT's question is about changing units generally, as opposed to looking for a particular unit.

Given his location, his RPOD or whatever we call it now, could be interesting if he picked a UK-based TA unit.

However, the Danes presumably have a version of the Regional Training Centre, and an inter-unit transfer should also be possible.

In my limited experience, having changed units twice in 20 odd years, a transfer to a similar unit gives a bit of a boost, but you may be trading a reasonable unit for one that is little better, or conceivably worse.

I've been lucky in moving from a good unit to a fascinating HQ job, to another good unit.

If you transfer to another Arm, you'll have to take extra training to get yourself back up to the level someone of your rank would hold in that Arm. Again, that can give you a boost of interest.

I'd suggest trying to get a unit where there would be some synergy, but with enough difference in role to re-enthuse you.

One I've seen a few times is for an infantry soldier to transfer to an artillery unit and move very quickly to the OP side of life. The inf skills are used, but there's a whole new level of stuff to do as well.

Best of luck TT. There's a powerful school of thought that suggests you should change units a couple of times during your "career" to prevent stagnation and give yourself a wider view.
  12. Exactly Fluffy, it was transferring in general that I meant (I'm a bit too far away to get to London on Tuesday nights).

The system is a bit different over here, and instructors for courses at the Hjemmeværnsskole are drawn from their parent units purely for the duration of the course, so there's no chance of an RTC-type posting. I wouldn't mind trying out the instructor role though.

One of the advantages of the system here is that inter-service transfers should be almost as easy as normal inter-unit transfers (we're all under the same organisation), so if I fancy doing the DAN-crab thing, or have a sudden hankering for a life on the ocean wave, then that shouldn't be a problem either.

I have actually thought about both of these options, as well as doing motorised recce, or joining a patrols unit again (perhaps I'm getting a bit old for that now though).

My major worry is the thought of jumping from the frying pan into the fire. It would be a major disappointment to find that a new unit was no better than the old one.

Edited due to writing the same thing twice
  13. msr

msr LE

Yes, it will.

14. Hmmm, since you write 'will' rather than 'would', does that mean that you think transferring is a bad idea?

15. msr

msr LE

No, it means that you are some sort of ****-retentive grammar nerd ;)

Moving units worked wonders for me.