Will Brown Go?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Infiltrator, May 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well, it's not been the best of times for Labour. We have the recent local elections, the Crewe and Nantwich by-election yesterday, an economy that is heading towards meltdown, the police voting to seek powers to strike, crippling fuel prices.

The questions I ask are:

1. Do Labour have the guts to replace Brown?

2. If they do, who with?

3. Is it too late anyway?

IMHO, Brown will not go unless pushed, he considers being Prime Minister as his divine right for playing second fiddle to TB for so long.

2. I agree that he won't go voluntarily, but there are too many Labour MPs crapping themselves at the moment to keep him. No MP ever knows when his particular electorate will choose to sacrifice him to give a government a wakeup call, I'm pretty certain they're all looking at each other this morning and thinking, "There but for the Grace of God".

Bottom line, if they think their snouts are about to be yanked from the trough they'll bin him.

3. Cyclops won't call a General Election unless he's absolutely backed into a corner & has no choice, & like you say because he believes the office of PM is his by divine right, he'll have to be dragged out of No.10 kicking & screaming.
    My hunch is that he will try & ignore his troubles for the time being & pretend they don't exist, spouting the usual "business as usual" tripe. But his backbench MPs are getting restless, & there may be blood on the Neu Arbeit carpet soon; again I agree with you, they don't have anyone remotely competent enough to do better, but that won't stop them knifing him. I bet Bliar & the Screaming Skull are laughing their bollox off.

4. If the backbenchers spark a revolt to oust the one eyed porridge wog, then we will have to have a general election because I don't think the British electorate will allow Liabour to have two un-elected leaders in one parliament.
    They know that they will loose heavilly, therefore they will drag out this current parliament for as long as possible and hope things improve.

5. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Jack Straw if they want a scrapper, and if he's up for it. Milliband if they want to try to out-smooth Lord Snooty?

They will hold what nerve they have until autumn, then I think a stalking horse will emerge while the real contenders skulk and watch. Pa Broon is absolutely unelectable and everybody knows it, except Pa Broon.

Of course, what they are praying for is the Tories to implode with factional fighting. And the Tories know that so I cant see them shooting themselves in the foot this summer.

6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Agreed - there'll be blood on the pavements outside No. 10 when he leaves; his, from his nose, as he's dragged out on his face.

As for the Labliar party getting restless and looking to get rid of him to save their skins - it won't work. It was not a Gordon-only show - they are all responsible for the looney laws, cr@p economy, cr@p international reputation, cr@p society, criminal successes, over-spending on stupid policies, underfunding of armed forces, going to war, police discontent etc etc etc ad infinitum . . . .

It doesn't matter if they resign en masse - they'll never get my vote, them or their replacements.

7. I think gordon will remain PM, only because no MP is stupid enough to want the job at the moment!

Ski.

8. Jack"Man Of"Straw? More chance of Blair making a comeback.

Broon will hang on to the bitter end, with the emphasis on "bitter". He will almost certainly attempt to fcuk the country up even more than he has done already, thus leaving the Tories with the biggest pile of sh1t to clean up as possible.

Democracy. You have to love it. :roll:

9. Junior Milliband doesn't have age or experience going for him, plus he could be fingered for nepotism as his brother is also in the Cabinet. Straw wasn't that good as either Home or Foreign Sec, plus he has to keep appeasing the Muslims in his Blackburn constituency otherwise he'll be down the road. None of this will stop the bloodletting, the stalking horse scenario as described seems also to be a likely outcome in the vain hope that the economy's improved by the autumn.
    I'm not holding my breath........ :wink:

10. I can't see them getting rid of him yet, although there was talk about getting a stalking horse to go against him in the summer.
    I think that through their collective responsibilty, the electorate will not forgive them for the last 4 or 5 years, not that the other lot would be any good either. So perhaps it might be time for a government from all parties to add a bit stability rather than lurching one way then the other.

11. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

There is another factor to consider. Private donations to the Labour party have all but dried up since Broon took charge. With one notable exception. The Unions.

Labour is now financially dependent upon the Unions as it never was under Blair / Levy.

Of course, the Unions wont have their own agenda, nor be looking for payback for their being sidelined under Blair. Nor be looking to get a left wing, old Labour type into power.

12. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Exactly right. The party's over.

13. Never underestimate the ability of a politician to misrepresent the facts to his or her benefit, even to himself. As I see it, Gordon's a millstone, most Lab MPs know that, and only those who are tied to him would want him to continue. These people have been in power for an awfully long time, and don't want to relinquish it. If Cyclops is a loser, they'll want to try someone else. Of course whether the obvious candidates want to put in the frame is another matter...

14. I'm not certain that this is the case. First of all, most people understand that you don't vote for a Prime Minister, that would make him a President. You vote for your MP. The leader of the party with most MP's in Parliament becomes PM. It's only the chavs and uneducated who really think that they are voting for a PM. I'm not saying that the leader doesn't influence the result, just that we don't really get a say in the actual PM, the party does.

Having said all that, I suspect that to a degree you may have a point, but, I really belive that the populace at large would accept anything to get rid of Brown.

I don't think I have ever known a more unpopular man. I do not know anyone, and I mean anyone, that would say that they are happy with him or the job that he does. Perhaps it is mainly a personality issue, I don't know, but by fcuk is he loathed by all!

I think that the Labour party need to do something, and fast if they even want to think about making a show in the next election. The way things are going they could even end up being behind the Lib Dems!

15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

He wont go of his own accord, he's waited for the parents favourite to grow up and fly the nest now he wants to play with the train set only to find that he has broken it in the attempt to get Tony to stop playing and leave!