Will Brown ever stop interfering?!?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by kurt_ruby, Feb 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [/quote]Four former chiefs of the defence staff have attacked the prime minister's plans to let Parliament have the final say on sending troops to war.
    The ex-armed forces heads told the House of Lords that the proposal was "too academic" and "devoid of realism".

But the government said that in a democratic society it was right that elected MPs should decide.

Earlier, the MoD denied reports that training could be cut for 1,000 new recruits to meet personnel shortages.

Under the government's plans, parliament would always have to be consulted in advance unless there "is not time" to get its consent or "there is a need for covert or secret operations", such as in rescue missions.

2. Four former chiefs of the defence staff have attacked the prime minister's plans to let Parliament have the final say on sending troops to war.
    The ex-armed forces heads told the House of Lords that the proposal was "too academic" and "devoid of realism".

But the government said that in a democratic society it was right that elected MPs should decide.
    Earlier, the MoD denied reports that training could be cut for 1,000 new recruits to meet personnel shortages.

Under the government's plans, parliament would always have to be consulted in advance unless there "is not time" to get its consent or "there is a need for covert or secret operations", such as in rescue missions.

my bold: this would be the same Government that has denied us a (promised) vote on the EU constitution...

3. I have lost all respect for this government, I used to like blair and brown in some ways, mainly with the economy, but that is about all. Though it is looking like the whole system is falling apart,, MP's are just not accountable enough, we as the voting public, and lets face it the ones that pay their wages do not get enough say in how decsion are made, then the government wonders why their is voter apathy

Duncan

4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Would this be the same Parliament that is giving away it's powers to decide on ANYTHING to Brussels and the EU?

If so, what Brown is actually saying is that BRITAIN is giving away it's power to send us to war to the EU.

5. To paraphrase Blackadder, he will with a bayonet through his neck.
    Is that treasonous thinking? In my defence then he started it m'luud.

6. How much longer do we have to endure this clown (sorry clowns!) and dangerous buffoon?

Surely the public won't let him back in and is that why he is stalling for the election?

I just see them sinking every day, unfortunately they are taking the country with them

7. we have to wait a few more years until we can vote again, if he does not try to find a way out of that, there seems to be so few MP's these days with balls,

the heads of the armed forces past and present seem to be finding theirs again, what happened to the days when they used to walk in to 10 downing street for a meeting, in full uniform with their heads held high, we need to see them on tv more raise their profile a bit

Duncan

8. So you were one of them that voted them in.....thanks.

9. Honest mistake gov, will not happen again...... learnt A LOT more since that date, just Cammeron has some balls, and continues to rebuild his party, otherwise who do you vote for???? would the American system of finding a leader for the parties be better???

10. Well, let Parliament declare wars, just make sure that if you dont like it or have doubts, then dont show up for it!, simple!

Thompson1..... large "Talisker" please......No, nothing for Brown....thank you.

11. make your vote count next time thats all i can say

12. They'll just vote for whatever their whips tell them to vote for. Done deal.

Jockster

13. I quite like this - reminds me of the arab way of voting on anything controversial.

It does raise the problem that most no-voters don't like to dwell on. Vehement opposition weakens the war effort and encourages insurgency.

I'm not apportioning blame for Iraq - but wanting people to be aware of the consequences of their actions. Politics isn't black and white, and there's no place for absolute morals in it.

14. Morality tends to fly out of the window once war is engaged upon, and in light of these last two "adventures" it must tax our lads very heavily to hang on to any moral concept when considering the type of opposition they are up against. But then they were sent away to do the biz by a fraction of a man who was moraly bankrupt anyway, both him and his money grabbing lawyer wife. Having said that, Parliament is a sink of moral turpitude so what can one expect from those we elect.