Will Britain actually leave (Or will we get Stiffed and Stopped)?

Does A Leave Vote Definitely Mean A Brexit?

After the Monumental Brexit result, which had the highest turnout in any election for over 80 years, there now seem to be moves afoot to try to negate the result. It appears that over 2 Million people have signed a petition calling for a Second Referendum, I would assume that these are mostly disgruntled Remainers, who can see the wheels falling off the Gravy Train in real time.

More than 1 million people are now demanding a second EU referendum

Not just the electorate, but many Politicians are opposed to Britain leaving, again I assume that they can see themselves as having to do real work, as opposed to blaming any of our many Ills on Brussels.

Labour MP Urges Commons Vote To Block Brexit

Lib Dems Make EU Return An Election Pledge

Notwithstanding what is happening here in Britain, on the Continent, EU Politicians seem to be split between kicking Britain out as soon as possible, apparently disregarding the fact that Article 50 can only be invoked by the Prime Minister (whoever he happens to be) at the time, and others who are obviously hoping that things will muddle along as they are and that we will eventually "see sense" and opt to remain.

EU parliament leader: we want Britain out as soon as possible

Cameron could have initiated this straight away with a simple letter to the European Commission but chose to resign instead, presumably to allow more time for an Illegal, if not downright Immoral, fudge or getout to be found.

One thing is certain, Britain needs to Repeal the 1972 European Community Act ASAP to get things moving. The longer this takes, the more likely that the Leave vote will be negated, more probably by foul means than fair unless any Legislation binding us to the ECJ is demolished rapidly too, as the Court has a habit of riding roughshod over British autonomy.

I'm not stating that i understand all of the (no pun intended) Ins and outs of the Political and Legal aspects of this, but I can see there being Hell to pay among the general public if the People's wishes aren't respected, especially after such a huge Leave vote. I can quite easily imagine though, absolutely anything being done to prevent Britain Leaving, both to stop the loss of the not inconsiderable amount that we pay to Brussels each year, as well as to prevent any other nations (Sweden and the Netherlands spring immediately to mind) having thoughts of their own, probably leading to the collapse of the EU as a whole, something that Martin Schulz has already openly declared, in what must be the most cynical statement ever even by EU ahem, errr, standards (I use the word very loosely indeed).

EU leaders call for UK to leave as soon as possible

Schulz's comments in the speech are very telling, if not a litte frightening in his open disregard for Democracy.

*Some of the links may initially appear misleading, but they do contain the facts I've referred to.

Last edited:
I hope we're not shafted. Given the strength of feelings there might well be riots in the street and the international credibility and reputation of Britain will be shattered.

I hope the MPs who suggested blocking Brexit are sacked. They are not worthy of their position.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The petition is 15 million votes short.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
EU leaders call for UK to leave as soon as possible

The Guardian will play the part of sore loser for some time to come and make itself an even more irrelevant broadsheet and it's readership even more isolated.

Britain now needs a Leader to be able to step up to Brussels and say "Feck off! Britain has decided and we, the Brits, will start the negotiations when we want to, not at your behest!"

Time for the EU to learn that they don't call the shots any more!

The petition is 15 million votes short.
I agree, what worries me the most for the immediate future is that two million people think it is OK to overrule democracy until they get the result they want...

On the other hand, although I hate what they say, I defend to the death, etc....

How very EU. They kept re running the Lisbon and Nice referendums in Ireland until they got the result they wanted. If they do roll over for this.Then democracy is truly dead. Although I can see the wheels coming off the whole EU pram. A lot of people on the continent want the choice to remain or leave.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Yesterday we were told by some Euronit that when DC goes to Brussels next his verbal statement to that ragbag of foreigners that we are leaving the EU house of cards will be legally the start of the two-year period under article 50, because that article does not prescribe how Leave notification is given. In spite of DC's arrogant posturing in front of No.10 with its fatuous maritime metaphors this will mean he has to go sooner rather than later, but the real upside would be that all this petition and other Remainiac vapouring will be completely irrelevant. We shall be OUT in June 2018 and that's it.

I hope. It's just possible that the disgruntled Europeans who quite reasonable want all uncertainty put to bed asap are going to help us for once.

I agree, what worries me the most for the immediate future is that two million people think it is OK to overrule democracy until they get the result they want...

On the other hand, although I hate what they say, I defend to the death, etc....
Although you can bet your bottom dollar that Farage and co would be calling for the same if the results were reversed:

Nigel Farage wants second referendum if Remain campaign scrapes narrow win

I'm a die-hard remain voter, but I think we've made our bed, we must lie in it. As much as I dislike it, if the Art 50 notification isn't submitted, that pretty much defeats the point of the whole debate.

Edit: oh, and Lammy can sod off. David Lammy urges Parliament to “stop madness” by ignoring the EU referendum result

Last edited:
J

JWBenett

The Liberals' voice in this country is but a squeak, their influence is negligible and frankly they're a bit of a joke. Surely we would need a new leader to take us back to a second vote, but if you notice, EU leaders are pushing for us to go and a second vote aint going to happen because the 17.4 million people who voted to leave cannot simply be ignored. This petition, is there a mechanism in the U.K. to trigger another referendum? Probably not. The petition might be debated but It's only the pinkoes and eurozoners demanding annulment of the result. They'll have counselling and some valium and calm down. Hopefully the PLP meltdown and Scotland - currently filling headlines - will bury that petition. The losers will stop kicking.

'There is a moral argument' for Scotland retaining EU terms says Sturgeon
Brexit: Labour crisis follows EU vote - BBC News ; Remain are yesterday's chip wrappers.

It seems we decide when to trigger Article 50, not EU leaders, who are obviously sore :)
A spokesman for the European Council, which defines the EU's political direction and priorities, reiterated on Saturday that triggering Article 50 was a formal act which must be "done by the British government to the European Council".

"It has to be done in an unequivocal manner with the explicit intent to trigger Article 50," the spokesman said.

"It could either be a letter to the president of the European Council or an official statement at a meeting of the European Council duly noted in the official records of the meeting."
EU parliament leader: we want Britain out as soon as possible

Brexit: EU spells out procedure for UK to leave - BBC News

U.K. Must Leave EU as Soon as Possible, EU Foreign Ministers Say

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
The EU still can't grasp the fact it was them trying to tell us what to do, that got them into this in the first place, can they ?

J

JWBenett

The EU still can't grasp the fact it was them trying to tell us what to do, that got them into this in the first place, can they ?
It wasn't the old n bold that "robbed the young of their future". "Leave are wacists" or whichever bollix they're peddling today doesn't wash, it was the EU, elitists and snotty sorts crapping on their own shirt flaps. We're going to need a bigger penny.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Even as we speak. I have no doubt that Boris and Michael have consulted 'The War Book' and have briskly formulated how it's all going to go after Article 50 is activated.
When exactly will be revealed in the fullness of time.

Although you can bet your bottom dollar that Farage and co would be calling for the same if the results were reversed:

Nigel Farage wants second referendum if Remain campaign scrapes narrow win

I'm a die-hard remain voter, but I think we've made our bed, we must lie in it. As much as I dislike it, if the Art 50 notification isn't submitted, that pretty much defeats the point of the whole debate.

Edit: oh, and Lammy can sod off. David Lammy urges Parliament to “stop madness” by ignoring the EU referendum result
I pretty much agree with what you say but I've signed the petition anyway. It's up to nearly three million now.

If Farage wanted to have his cake and eat it in the event of a narrow defeat, the other side can have theirs as well.

We could do an Ireland, and have parliament take notice of the petition to hold a second referendum, and we vote again and again until we vote the 'right way'

We'd only be stopped by ourselves if there was a second referendum. That it's even been suggested goes to show what a shitly executed idea the first one was.

Anyone else see similarities with Blair? Balkans went fairly well, so invading Iraq would also be a good idea surely? Cameron pulled off putting Jocksit to bed, so what could possibly go wrong this time - not even worth the effort of a contingency?

I pretty much agree with what you say but I've signed the petition anyway. It's up to nearly three million now.
No surprise that Labour and their ilk don't like democracy when it doesnt go their way.

Even as we speak. I have no doubt that Boris and Michael have consulted 'The War Book' and have briskly formulated how it's all going to go after Article 50 is activated.
When exactly will be revealed in the fullness of time.
At the risk of repeating a favourite Staff College cliché - the enemy has a vote.

If the EU decides to make things awkward - and there is a strand of opinion in the EU that they should no matter how illogical and destabilising for the EU that is - then it doesn't matter what Boris has planned.

Actually, he won't have planned. Gove might have (although duty rumour is that he's having to deal with his wife's dawning horror that she's been ostracised by an array of her former friends almost as much as thinking about the consequences of the vote...), but it'd be most unlike Boris to have anything more than a vague plan scrawled down somewhere. His lack of planning and foresight is partly why he got himself dragged into Darius Guppy's plot to beat up a journalist, after all...

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

If Farage wanted to have his cake and eat it in the event of a narrow defeat, the other side can have theirs as well.
Why does the country bother with political campaigns and elections? Obviously all we need to do is have a Saturday night Politician of the Year show followed by either a phone in vote or an on-line petition!

That would get rid of the old vote which seems to have incensed the yoof of this country!