Will Ashdown Succeed in Afghanistan?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Jan 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article3196614.ece

From Times OnlineJanuary 16, 2008

Comment: Ashdown success may decide outcome of West's efforts in AfghanistanNick Meo, of The Times, in Kabul
    When Paddy Ashdown arrives in Kabul, probably in April, he will be expected to achieve nothing less than to save the faltering Western mission in Afghanistan.

It would have been a daunting challenge at any time in the past three years since the Taleban resurgence began, but with constantly worsening security and creeping demoralisation in Kabul it is now a taller order than ever.

There will be many well-wishers — surprisingly large numbers of disillusioned Afghans will see Lord Ashdown of Norton-sub-Hamdon as their last chance — but many spoilers as well, and not just from the Taleban side.

Whether he succeeds or fails may decide the outcome of the West's sometimes dysfunctional efforts in Afghanistan, and success will depend in part on how much power he has. Even more important may be the influence he can exert and the level of support he receives from Kabul's foreign backers.
    More on the link

2. If this is true does Paddy still think we can prevail in Afghanistan?

3. I have changed the title of this thread now that it seems to have been confirmed that the new Governor will be Paddy Ashdown. I wish him well!

4. Lets hope he gets more interest than this thread!

5. Well I have a lot of faith in the bloke but it really depends on his powers over NGO's and Govt agencies like USAID & Difid.... lets see

6. Why is it that this great man, who has seemingly been used to sort out any warzone country going, has not been considered good enough for the top job in this country?

If he can sort out Afg (and I'm sure he can) he definitely could put the great back in Britain.

I'd vote for him!

Tubs

7. WAH!

At best he wallpapers over 2 foot cracks, did a great job in Bosnia, 3 almost separate countries within a country, 3 parliaments, 3 times as many corrupt politicians and no decisions are ever made because the same old arguments are at the root of everything!

8. The main problem for him is that unlike in Bosnia where he was High Representative (some said Viceroy) and had almost unlimited powers, here he's going to have to deal with and put up with the local government and politicians.

9. True, he'll be working amongst a corrupt system. It's brave of him to take the job.

10. Good luck Paddy, no pressure or anything!!!
    Paddy may have some odd political ideas but at least he has a military background, and a very good one at that.

11. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Bearing in mind his military AND political background, I can't see anyone who could do a better job of negotiating with the tribal elders, the septics and the Afghan gobment.

Best of luck to him I say!

12. So they don't want him. What a shame, he would have told them some home truths.

13. I think that`s exactly why they don`t want him.

14. If he worked for this govt things would be no different. At least he's got experience of corruption.
    :)