Will a bad stammer, prevent me from becoming an officer?

Hi,
I am 22 I have a 1:1 degree. I recently quit my office job, due to hating it.

I have considered applying for an officer role, it is something I have wanted to do since a kid.
However I have a very bad stammer, but I do believe in time I can correct it; do you think this will block my chances of getting through the recruitment process?
Don't worry about about it - I've stuttered all my life. In the Army, although it did not bother me, I always shied away from any instructing role because I was concerned that it might bother others. In civilian life, a job came up in instructing, I went for it and found that I loved it and taught for the next 14 years. Believe me, if you are interesting and informative, people will want to listen to you - regardless of the stutter.

Serious answer, I've worked with several people across military and wider CS who have stammers and its not impacted on them or their careers. Defence Stammer network is a good point to check for advice.

With your degree, I'd suggest the Int Corps.

Impediment? It's practically mandatory for officers, along with a foppish manner and a hankering after the firm buttocks of young NCOs.

Seriously though, can only speak for myself as a dom troep and say that you'll develop techniques to work around it with time. Mine are to say 'fuck' a lot which can be a problem at the vicar's for tea but I'm able to tone it down without too much hassle apart from the odd drawn out consonant at the beginning of a word.The letter S can be a right cunt.

Hi,

I have considered applying for an officer role, it is something I have wanted to do since a kid.
However I have a very bad stammer, but I do believe in time I can correct it; do you think this will block my chances of getting through the recruitment process?
I too have a speech impediment. My form of stuttering is called blocking, and it was much worse as a kid. I experienced much mockery and some of that just made things worse. As a new Army Cadet, it once led to bloodshed and a lot of fuss before things improved. As the environment improved my condition improved a bit too. By the time I joined the Army I had improved some more but it was still obvious I had a speech problem. Somehow I coped with it and it helped by being good at what I did as there was much less piss-taking.
Nowadays, I stutter much less and I honestly think that my Sertraline has helped with that. Where I have to be particularly careful is when I meet other people who stutter, as they always think I'm taking the piss out of them. In these cases I always jump right in and say that I also have a speech impediment called blocking and that if it kicks in then I'm not taking the piss.
I have identified some particular triggers, which I won't explain here for obvious reasons, so I try to minimise those where I can.
How does this affect you? Well not a lot. The thing is like this. If you apply to join the Army as an officer then they will consider you in the whole and not just this speech impediment. You'll have interviews, tests, medical and so on. During the process you will encounter people who feel sure that Army training will actually benefit you and could "cure" the problem. The main drawback that I can see is only if someone considers your stuttering to be a symptom of a mental health problem. So you might be interviewed along those lines too.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
I have a 1st Class Honours degree - I have never, ever described it as a 1:1.
I've never seen anyone break their degree classification down to a ratio beyond upper second either.

1:1 is a modern idiom that's come into use in a few places over the last 5 - 6 years.
Can sometimes be used to indicate a first class with distinction of some kind.
The Student Room

One of my drill instructors in basic had a very bad stammer as a result of being blown up in Aden.
After we'd piled into the drill shed at the end of the square a few times, we learnt to obey the command as he started to say it, not when he finished it.
And, out of respect, we didn't want to make him look bad.

Hi,

Have a look at this as well

Recruitment Services - Technical Internship Ref. 1542

As you have probably realised, you will get the piss taken both to your face and behind your back. If that's going to bother you forget it, otherwise why not, other people will have other problems.
Speaking as someone who needed crampons to get into the cab of a Bedford that is very true. They'll extract the urine for something, at least you know beforehand one of the things.

As long as your sergeant knows that S-S-Suh- sergeant, c-c-c-ccarry o-o-on means he should get on with running the show then you've cracked it.

There is some good advice here, though one lad in one of our sister battalions went to basic with quite stammer. He returned speaking normally.
When his pleased and impressed mum and dad asked what magic had been wrought in his self-esteem to cure the problem he replied. "I had to stop stammering, my corporal punched me everytime I did."

-Hey, if it works.

Look past the humour and read the content. Judgement is applied, and some win, some lose.

What do you have to add that is current, relevant and helpful to the OP?
Well said.

One of my drill instructors in basic had a very bad stammer as a result of being blown up in Aden.
After we'd piled into the drill shed at the end of the square a few times, we learnt to obey the command as he started to say it, not when he finished it.
And, out of respect, we didn't want to make him look bad.
and you didn't want to get thrashed till your eyes bled:mrgreen::mrgreen:

We had one with a slight stutter and had no problems, he gave and took piss takes and had a great sense of humour - sadly he never lasted, he got caught doing something he shouldn't have done and was asked to leave.