Will a bad stammer, prevent me from becoming an officer?

josh95

Crow
Hi,
I am 22 I have a 1:1 degree. I recently quit my office job, due to hating it.

I have considered applying for an officer role, it is something I have wanted to do since a kid.
However I have a very bad stammer, but I do believe in time I can correct it; do you think this will block my chances of getting through the recruitment process?

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
P-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y n-n-n-n-n-n-n-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t.

P-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y n-n-n-n-n-n-n-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t.
You are evil!

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Hi,
I am 22 I have a 1:1 degree. I recently quit my office job, due to hating it.

I have considered applying for an officer role, it is something I have wanted to do since a kid.
However I have a very bad stammer, but I do believe in time I can correct it; do you think this will block my chances of getting through the recruitment process?
I met an officer with a stammer recently so it's definitely not a complete impediment. It will obviously make things much harder for you in a job that involves routinely speaking in front of groups of people though.

As you have probably realised, you will get the piss taken both to your face and behind your back. If that's going to bother you forget it, otherwise why not, other people will have other problems.

Not much of a stutter.
At my peak I would never have got past the rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...............

It wasn't necessarily a problem. As long as you can put up with what a fellow officer did, such as:
0, 3B, Long message . Over.
0, Send. Over.
3B (there followed long message, made muuuuccchhhh longer by stammer).
0. Say again all after C/S. Over.
3B Ffffeeeecccckkkk it. I'll come to your loc! Out.

Alright @josh95

Check out the first and second video's on the below page, Jimmy was told by the careers office that he wouldn't progress because of his stammer, he has gone from a Private to Captain, and I certainly wouldn't have crossed him when we served together.

Stammering - The Unspeakable Truth

My penultimate CSM was a hard as woodpecker lips mountain leader, sprog in Falkands. All round ninja bootneck

Mad ******* stutter. When we had to do marchy round stuff as a squadron he used to say
"You ******* bbbbetter ssssstop when IIII hhhhalt you"

I always remember David V****** of 3RTR addressing his troop at JLR RAC, in the mid 70s, about a trip to RN Portsmouth

“We will also be going aboard a D ..D ..D ..D D .. fuckit Frigate!”

Apparently they enjoyed their visit to one of the RN’s Destroyers.

I always remember David V****** of 3RTR addressing his troop at JLR RAC, in the mid 70s, about a trip to RN Portsmouth

“We will also be going aboard a D ..D ..D ..D D .. fuckit Frigate!”

Apparently they enjoyed their visit to one of the RN’s Destroyers.
Ah, you know David as well. See my above post. He was 2i/c C when I was 2i/c Bumble.

josh95

Crow
Thanks for all the comments chaps,
I think I will do some more research and give it a go. Even if it doesn't work out, I wont have any regrets.

@Eyebrows of Doom Will watch that now thanks

@Gardner6LXB I have actually been on that course twice, I have to say it did not help me much

josh95

Crow
I’m genuinely surprised.
You need to keep it up after you leave.
Use it or lose it.
I know, the techniques there work for many people. And in part they do work for myself, however when costal breathing (taking a deep breath before each word) I just feel lightheaded after a few sentences, I find it easier to just breath normally but use the other techniques. I think I will go back there soon, I was quite young the last time I went

Latest Threads