Wilinson Sword no longer make swords.... what next?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Rincewind, Mar 24, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So where are we supposed to get official swords from now?

Rincewind

2. Gilette?

3. Rover?

4. Why E-Bay of course!

5. Firmins of Birmingham (they make all the badges) are making swords for the Household Cav. Or try Imperial Sword Company at www.army-technology.com/contractors/machine_guns/imperial

Wilkinsons were a rip off, they went under because people were buying cheaper better quality swords elsewhere.

6. Or you could go on the rob in the royal armouries?

7. Firmins don't make swords. They sub contract overseas as do Imperial.

8. Percy_Pigeon

Percy_Pigeon War Hero Book Reviewer

The sub contractor that did the work for Wilkinson’s is carrying out maintenance in the interim.

Has this is a large contract it will have to go to open contract, the best placed firm is German, but I suspect that they will go to India.

There should be no changes in practice.

9. The sub contractor for Wilkinson Sword is only doing refurbishment - i think, not manufacturing, unless Sussex Swords is anyway related??

The German may be the best then again he may not. It's all to do with price.

10. Percy_Pigeon

Percy_Pigeon War Hero Book Reviewer

My apologies I have edited my post to add maintenance. I have checked and there is sufficient in the loan pool to cover requirements for some time.

11. wasnt it wilkinson sword who bought the Maidstone after its use as a rest home for unemployed paddy nail bombers during our early excursions to the emerald shitehouse? maybe they just ran out of ship!!

12. www.crisp-and-sons.com. These are the guys who re furbed for Wilkinsons and still work for the Household Cav. I have seen their work and met them and can recommend them highly

13. GD

Cheers,again.

the_Bat