Wildlife in Banff

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ugly, Jun 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

2. I'll check with a pal of mine - he & his missus have a place nearby in Canmore and are pretty much up to speed on goings on ref local wildlife.

3. Elk, bears etc are sometimes tagged by provincial governments so when the animal is harvested the Provincial Fish/Wildlife people know where it has been before. I think they study migration. I am not Canadian but a septic but have a friend who has hunted. I recall hearing from a Canadian friend that if a hunter gets a tagged elk, deer, moose etc they are required to contact the F&W officials with tag numbers as the animal may have received tranquilizers and/or other drugs.
  4. Hi

I work for Parks here in Canada, not in Banff but I am familiar with this issue. It can be for a number of reasons, maybe the animal has been a problem in the past. Maybe is has been relocated from elsewhere, there are many reason as animals in some of these places are managed as closely as some farm animals.

And maybe the Elk just felt like wearing some bling.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. They tag a lot of nuisance animals in Massachusetts. Almost all bears are in the western half of the state. A few weeks ago a young male black bear was spotted in a number of places in eastern Massachusetts and ended up in Provincetown at the easternmost tip of Cape Cod. He was tranquilized, tagged and trucked about 250 miles to western Massachusetts. About a week or ten days later same bear ended up being found 140 miles east in Brookline, MA, a built up town abutting Boston. Bear was again tranquilized and trucked west.

News reports stated that the young male bear, only about 325 pounds, was looking for a female mate. Some people did comment that if he headed for Provincetown they doubted he was looking for a female.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Is provincetown a bit like Brighton then?
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

thanks for that, I was unsure and now having posted the link on Canadian gun nuts it seems some of the footage may not even be in Canada, good old BBC No 1 for accuracy and truthful reporting. Their wildliffe people have lots of previous for this and not just David Attenborough snow holes. Most of big cat watch was cut and shut!
  8. Not sure about Brighton. never been to the UK Brighton but P'town is gayer than a gay thing. At least as to the tourists.

All of Cape Cod is beach resort sort of area. Provincetown is the very far end of the cape.
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Brighton is world remowned for its 'alternative lifestyle' so much that there is an aussie saying "As queer as a row of Kemp Town houses"

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk