Wildcat to the Rescue

Not sure how they got there but nice to see the world's ugliest helicopter getting used (source) to help with the recovery post hurricane Irma.

I also wonder if this is the first time that Wildcat has been used on operations?

_97732994_tonwaterdrop0703-1.jpg

Not sure how they got there but nice to see the world's ugliest helicopter getting used (source) to help with the recovery post hurricane Irma.

I also wonder if this is the first time that Wildcat has been used on operations?

View attachment 296340
This Wildcat HM.2 (ZZ530) is deployed on the RFA Mount Bay-so I'm told.

Last edited:
Someone who claimed to be an aeronautical designer drafted the plans for that thing, and someone who claimed to be his boss, or a responsible adult, or indeed someone with a pulse, approved it?

Okay, good joke, guys. Where's the real helicopter?

Someone who claimed to be an aeronautical designer drafted the plans for that thing, and someone who claimed to be his boss, or a responsible adult, or indeed someone with a pulse, approved it?

Okay, good joke, guys. Where's the real helicopter?
You will be glad to know AW head hunter the designer after his successful fixed wing design career:

View attachment 296340
Delivering a whole 1 tonne of water, that'll help, about 20 people for 5 minutes. Im pretty sure they have water, it tends to use gravity to deliver it doesn't it? They would have been better delivering a tonne of soapboxes for the locals to stand on and moan how UK isn't helping them.

Wildcat has been on Ops for more than a couple of years.

What you meant was, "is this the first time the Army has noticed they're on Ops"...?

Not sure how they got there....
Does the ROYAL NAVY on the side give you a clue?

Grey ones don't count.
Grey Wildcats or Grey operations?

Having spoken to a Wildcat WAFU a few months ago, the RN is pleased with the added power (compared to Lynx), ergonomic cockpit, sensors, and weapon capability.

Last edited:
...the RN is pleased with the added power (compared to Lynx).....
Give it a couple of years, and they've bolted on the usual sort of lardy add-ons, that power premium will soon be gone

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Aviation 11
meridian Aviation 61
squiffy_parsons Shooting, Hunting and Fishing 4