Wild camping in the lake district?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Benkins, Jul 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey all

Don't know if I'm posting in right section but closest I could find to what I wanted to ask.

Is wild camping allowed in lake district? I've trawled Internet and I find so many conflicting answers I thought I'd ask you guy if allowed?

Also anyone got any suggestions on places to visit?

2. It is tolerated, having spent many a night in the lakes as long as you camp away from the main drags and are careful of your footprint there is no issue.

The only place it is officially legal is Dartmoor.

Be subtle and you will be fine

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE app

3. I don't think you can, but you can call in on a farm and be polite and offer to pay.

But there again if you wait until the villagers have had their evening walk and are indoors you can put up your bivvey at your leisure

but be sharp away in the morning. This was advice from Robert Louise Stevenson on Camping 1878

and he was an expert

4. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

yes above a certain height if its an overnight if my recollection of running scout expeditions is correct.

5. On the fells above the elevation of drystone walls used to be the rule of thumb
    As kids we used to camp on common land and nobody ever bothered us, Mosedale to the east of Skiddaw was always a good spot (asides from the Lions that is)

6. As has already been said if you are up high(ish) nobody is bothered. Camp alongside the road over Honister or similar and you'll likely get a knock from a passing farmer.

7. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Having lived on the moors a bit to the east, its weird. It looks like wilderness but nobody misses a trick. Its like it is under CCTV. Because the animals on the land are called 'stock' They are money to the farmers. Plus you get fuckwit dreadlock doss-***** in cheap tents with bags of booze and ethnic drums. ******* tossers.

Best have a word at the nearest farm? "Would you mind?" and a fiver for half a dozen eggs will go a long way.

Mind you, if you are in Cumbria they will still creep up the fell and sodomise you at 03.30. To Cumbrian's you are an exotic change from their sheep.

8. I bashered up on angle tarn and no one said ought to me.

But I'm CAT 1 TA AMS and up for anything...

It's your country boys.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Be discreet , quiet and take you rubbish and sh1t with you who will ever know ? bit like we've been doing for years at work .
    I wild camp all over the place and have never had a problem , if you can't be seen and behave with a bit of sense ..ie don't camp in a wood with a pheasant pen in it and are gone early doors then you will be surprised where you can camp , it may help that I use a cammo hennesey rather than a tent so tend to use woods etc.

10. Pitch late ang get up early, it can be a high street during the day, dont leave your tent through the day, ive heard some thefts take place and basically pick a remote spot and you will be fine. There also 2 caves and 2 bothies I know of if your up for that, one cave is splendid with a secret door, bunks and a fireplace and it's a secret cave!

• Like Like x 1
  11. I was assuming this was the main purpose of wild camping.

12. So where is it then?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1