Wild camping in the lake district?

Hey all

Don't know if I'm posting in right section but closest I could find to what I wanted to ask.

Is wild camping allowed in lake district? I've trawled Internet and I find so many conflicting answers I thought I'd ask you guy if allowed?

Also anyone got any suggestions on places to visit?

It is tolerated, having spent many a night in the lakes as long as you camp away from the main drags and are careful of your footprint there is no issue.

The only place it is officially legal is Dartmoor.

Be subtle and you will be fine

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE app

I don't think you can, but you can call in on a farm and be polite and offer to pay.

But there again if you wait until the villagers have had their evening walk and are indoors you can put up your bivvey at your leisure

but be sharp away in the morning. This was advice from Robert Louise Stevenson on Camping 1878

and he was an expert

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
yes above a certain height if its an overnight if my recollection of running scout expeditions is correct.

yes above a certain height if its an overnight if my recollection of running scout expeditions is correct.
On the fells above the elevation of drystone walls used to be the rule of thumb
As kids we used to camp on common land and nobody ever bothered us, Mosedale to the east of Skiddaw was always a good spot (asides from the Lions that is)

As has already been said if you are up high(ish) nobody is bothered. Camp alongside the road over Honister or similar and you'll likely get a knock from a passing farmer.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Having lived on the moors a bit to the east, its weird. It looks like wilderness but nobody misses a trick. Its like it is under CCTV. Because the animals on the land are called 'stock' They are money to the farmers. Plus you get fuckwit dreadlock doss-cnuts in cheap tents with bags of booze and ethnic drums. ******* tossers.

Best have a word at the nearest farm? "Would you mind?" and a fiver for half a dozen eggs will go a long way.

Mind you, if you are in Cumbria they will still creep up the fell and sodomise you at 03.30. To Cumbrian's you are an exotic change from their sheep.

Be discreet , quiet and take you rubbish and sh1t with you who will ever know ? bit like we've been doing for years at work .
I wild camp all over the place and have never had a problem , if you can't be seen and behave with a bit of sense ..ie don't camp in a wood with a pheasant pen in it and are gone early doors then you will be surprised where you can camp , it may help that I use a cammo hennesey rather than a tent so tend to use woods etc.

Pitch late ang get up early, it can be a high street during the day, dont leave your tent through the day, ive heard some thefts take place and basically pick a remote spot and you will be fine. There also 2 caves and 2 bothies I know of if your up for that, one cave is splendid with a secret door, bunks and a fireplace and it's a secret cave!

Mind you, if you are in Cumbria they will still creep up the fell and sodomise you at 03.30. To Cumbrian's you are an exotic change from their sheep.
I was assuming this was the main purpose of wild camping.

Pitch late ang get up early, it can be a high street during the day, dont leave your tent through the day, ive heard some thefts take place and basically pick a remote spot and you will be fine. There also 2 caves and 2 bothies I know of if your up for that, one cave is splendid with a secret door, bunks and a fireplace and it's a secret cave!

So where is it then?

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
As previously said in the thread, arrive late, leave early. Never been wild camping in the Lake District but have been a few times in the Brecons. Make sure to take any rubbish with you and use a gas stove or hexi, not an open fire.

I concur with Rawhide, Priest Hole is a good one, and the Secret Cave, as long as it hasnt been Chavved now.
Being sensible in your choice of pitch, and of course leave no trace and noone will give you any hassle

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Travel 23
Bad CO Travel 250
T Sports, Adventure Training and Events 7