Wild Boar

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by ugly, Oct 12, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

A few years ago we attempted unsuccesfully to make a boar wallow. We had a bag of spicey powder we mixed with grain. I thought we got it from Germany but can't find anything at the moment. US websites are off limits for postage cost reasons so European ideas please folks!

Some mornings its hardly worth chewing through the straps!

2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Not sure exactly what you mean.
    There is a brown squirty product that you put on trees/stumps like treacle and they rub on it. It attracts them and has an anti-parasite additive. Can get it off the shelf in Decathlon in France.

3. We built a Suhl (wallow) high in the woods in Hessen about ten years ago. There was little water in the area and we wanted to draw game to a clearing on a heavily wooded ridge in the centre of the shoot, previously the nearest wallow was a stream bed on the border with another shoot and we thought they were getting a bit cheeky with what they shot at (makes no odds now we have both shoots). We dug a pit and lined it with stamped clay, about a two tons of it, it was a lot of work. The pool was filled with water the first time from a farmers water trailer. We never needed to fill it again, it works as a dew pond. Full of life now, bouncing with newts, reds and pig took to it straight away.

If you want to lure pig cheaply try beech tar, paint a tree stump with it. Equestrian supply shops should have it. Reds like it as well. They rub on the stuff and you can see exactly what was there and how big it was from the hair and tracks left. Mineral salt licks are also of use.

4. Thats the stuff,Buchenholzteer - beech wood tar!

5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

So brown, squirty, treacle like, beech tar, with additives, is what you need.
    Could bring over a job lot in a few weeks and post from UK so save you a few quids....the bottles are washing up liquid sized.

6. They could do with you lot in The Forest of Dean at the moment, they're starting to become a problem in a lot of parts.

7. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

8. How do you make a boar wallow?

Kick him in the nuts!

Bada-bing, bada-boom!

9. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

10. 262247.jpg

A commercial mineral saltlick or a lump of rocksalt on an old dead tree stump works very well, this one is too low in my opinion. I tend to lop a tree above head height and nail a saltlick to the top. The game can lick the salt washed down on the trunk. Only large deer can reach the stone.
    Otherwise the saltlick tends to get trashed.

A pallet with maize under it is the best method. The pallet keeps jays and woodies off, roe can scratch between the planks and get some corn but pigs will turn the pallet. You can always tell if pigs are active, here we combine that with a wilduhr, a clock which stops when disturbed. It gives you a steer as to when to sit.

http://www.uckermark-jagd.de/WebRoot/Store/Shops/15130864/475D/0717/0BB0/CC07/19FD/C0A8/28BB/76D2/Kopie_0020_von_0020_Wilduhr_0020_analog.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  11. Yes the septics like to murder their corn fed feral pigs as slowly as possible.

Or you meet one of these boys....

"I'm gonna git me some possum!"

Attached Files:

12. Errm... A dozen or so shot at range using 8mm Mauser, followed by three shot at close range using 10mm 180 gr pistol. Quick and effective. No second shots.

Edited To Add:-

Nothing to do with hogs, but these are some interesting trail cam pictures taken last year and sent to me by a colleague. The camera was set up on a deer lease so they weren't expecting cats

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]