Wild Boar

ugly

LE
A few years ago we attempted unsuccesfully to make a boar wallow. We had a bag of spicey powder we mixed with grain. I thought we got it from Germany but can't find anything at the moment. US websites are off limits for postage cost reasons so European ideas please folks!

Some mornings its hardly worth chewing through the straps!

Alsacien

MIA
Not sure exactly what you mean.
There is a brown squirty product that you put on trees/stumps like treacle and they rub on it. It attracts them and has an anti-parasite additive. Can get it off the shelf in Decathlon in France.

We built a Suhl (wallow) high in the woods in Hessen about ten years ago. There was little water in the area and we wanted to draw game to a clearing on a heavily wooded ridge in the centre of the shoot, previously the nearest wallow was a stream bed on the border with another shoot and we thought they were getting a bit cheeky with what they shot at (makes no odds now we have both shoots). We dug a pit and lined it with stamped clay, about a two tons of it, it was a lot of work. The pool was filled with water the first time from a farmers water trailer. We never needed to fill it again, it works as a dew pond. Full of life now, bouncing with newts, reds and pig took to it straight away.

If you want to lure pig cheaply try beech tar, paint a tree stump with it. Equestrian supply shops should have it. Reds like it as well. They rub on the stuff and you can see exactly what was there and how big it was from the hair and tracks left. Mineral salt licks are also of use.

Not sure exactly what you mean.
There is a brown squirty product that you put on trees/stumps like treacle and they rub on it. It attracts them and has an anti-parasite additive. Can get it off the shelf in Decathlon in France.
Thats the stuff,Buchenholzteer - beech wood tar!

Alsacien

MIA
So brown, squirty, treacle like, beech tar, with additives, is what you need.
Could bring over a job lot in a few weeks and post from UK so save you a few quids....the bottles are washing up liquid sized.

262247.jpg

A commercial mineral saltlick or a lump of rocksalt on an old dead tree stump works very well, this one is too low in my opinion. I tend to lop a tree above head height and nail a saltlick to the top. The game can lick the salt washed down on the trunk. Only large deer can reach the stone.
Otherwise the saltlick tends to get trashed.

A pallet with maize under it is the best method. The pallet keeps jays and woodies off, roe can scratch between the planks and get some corn but pigs will turn the pallet. You can always tell if pigs are active, here we combine that with a wilduhr, a clock which stops when disturbed. It gives you a steer as to when to sit.

http://www.uckermark-jagd.de/WebRoo...2/Kopie_0020_von_0020_Wilduhr_0020_analog.jpg

Might be of interest > HUNTING HOGS IN TEXAS AND PRODUCT MANUFACTURE TRAPPING WILD HOGS BOAR HUNTING PRODUCTS TRAPPING WILD BOAR

I helped clear some hog from a friend's property last year. Very close brush and undergrowth and at one stage was using a pistol, which was erm.. interesting.

I also have some trail-cam pics that I will find and post.
Yes the septics like to murder their corn fed feral pigs as slowly as possible.

Or you meet one of these boys....

"I'm gonna git me some possum!"

Attachments

Yes the septics like to murder their corn fed feral pigs as slowly as possible.

Or you meet one of these boys....

View attachment 52552

I'm gonna git me some possum!
Errm... A dozen or so shot at range using 8mm Mauser, followed by three shot at close range using 10mm 180 gr pistol. Quick and effective. No second shots.

Edited To Add:-

Nothing to do with hogs, but these are some interesting trail cam pictures taken last year and sent to me by a colleague. The camera was set up on a deer lease so they weren't expecting cats

I know a total nut who uses a spear !! but I suspect his "wild boar" are weaner squealers compared to pics of some I have seen Poland / Germany way.

plus they are evil when they want to be.. either he leaves the woods or you do, is how its been explained to me. Not for nothing the saxons
had boar crests on their helmets.

I know a total nut who uses a spear !! but I suspect his "wild boar" are weaner squealers compared to pics of some I have seen Poland / Germany way.

plus they are evil when they want to be.. either he leaves the woods or you do, is how its been explained to me. Not for nothing the saxons
had boar crests on their helmets.

I found this one when I was out kayaking near the Everglades.

This is one killed in Turkey a few years back.

"Saufedern" (spears) are still used here, traditionally (in the middle ages) they were carried by selected individuals at the end of long funnels of cloth or tape to channel game into a killing area. Now they are often carried by beaters, if the dogs have a pig at bay it's hard to shoot one with dogs all over it without terminating someones beloved mut. Long knives are carried for this purpose, "Saufanger or Hirschfanger" some of which resemble old fashioned hunting swords, but you need nerves of steel to use one. The spear gives you a major advantage letting you get a blade into the animals heart without getting too close to those teeth, tusks and frenzied dogs.

Jager.jpg
Jäger with a Saufeder.

I always carry a pistol when hunting because in a thicket, maize field or heavy woodland, with a wounded pig, a long weapon is a major disadvantage as you can't turn quickly. A pistol is also easier to use with a torch, most pig are shot after dark.

I breed wild boar and the one thing that truly drives the boar (that is, the males) nuts is smoked fish, in particular the oily species such as mackerel and herring. Mixed with molasses makes the dominant male roll around a bit and then eat the mess.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Fang_Farrier Cookery 22
N The NAAFI Bar 1
Oyibo Cookery 0