Wilbur smith

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Auld-Yin, Mar 25, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Wilbur Smith's new book, Those in peril, is being published on 31 March. Capt Crusty has reviewed this for ARRSE and the review will be going up sometime this weekend.

There is a publicity website where you can get more info and news of events surrounding the book, plus interviews with Wilbur Smith. I have been asked to bring this to your attention and it can be found here:

Wilbur Smith

But don't just take their word for it, read Capt Crusty's review first, this weekend.

2. Why ?

I am guessing it will be about a family from SA who made it big after a hard long time during which the lead male character had a Zulu tracker who looked after him boy and man (even bringing him water after a heavy sesh on "old Smoke cape brandy" who also could out shoot, run, fight , fornicate and still be an all round good egg after serving in some form of SF. While his German, British, African,Egyptian foe is a ****** who eats babies. Also the sex will be described as...
    "His manly loins enticed her , never seeing a mans member it had the girth of a Baobab Pod (Africa you see) and like a baobab pod was full of his seed . He penetrated her moist heat and awoke the primeval passion within her .Leading to them coupling like two leopards (Africa you see ) chained in a silk bag." After which she was as drained of fluid as the Kalahari is in a hot summer (Africa you see).

And that's even if it is set off the coast of Somalia or Hull.

• Like Like x 6
  3. I gather you haven't read any of the non-Ballantyne/Courtney novels then?

4. Seconded - it's remarkable that Wilbur Smith hasn't received the Bad Sex Award on several occasions.

His stories seem to usually pan out as follows - some lantern-jawed South African fellow called Dirk who has been living on the veldt too long and hanging about with Zulus ends up shagging some American journo nymphette in the elephant grass just before (or while) a herd of wildebeest (or the locals) hoves into view.

I remember reading one of his works* set in 17th century South Africa, and the sex scenes were hilarious; one young fella stuck his tallywhacker through a hole in a wall onboard ship and got acquainted with some Dutch strumpet who I think shagged everyone in the book.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, translations of Wilbur Smith's novels are hugely popular in Sweden.

*Birds of Prey it 'twas - and a right dirty scutter the Dutch one was too.

5. Try his Egyptian Novels,or his 'standalone' novels.

6. I have read all his fkin books and like them but the formula has got a bit thin.

Still a good read on a trans Atlantic flight tho :)

7. Second on the Egypt series - to me, they're better than the stock "Africa" /Courtney family books. I still like Sunbird but did not like The Eye of the Tiger.I think he's better at the historical type novels than the modern day action stuff. Clancy does that better.

8. You are Wilbur Smith & I claim my £5!

9. I've read all of them but he seems to have lost the plot since getting married again. It could be he's just getting old. The last book seemed to me to be 100 pages short of a story.

10. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

The Sunbird is pretty good - everything else is pretty bad the early stuff moderate bad and the later stuff shockingly so.

11. WS' most inane circumlocution (of which there are many);

'She had within her blouse that which showed she was no longer a child'

So what was it? Master Mariner's ticket? JP's accreditation? An OBE? No.

Tits.

12. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Review by Captain Crusty now in the Book Reviews section: Those in Peril

13. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

Although WS does tend to trot out similar tomes (bit better at it than Archer, though), his research was invaluable to me.

There was I, a young innocent at university, recently left a school where boredom had been alleviated by dreams induced by Smith's tales of adventure in lands swept by endless savannahs. I thought African History would be an interesting subsid to my rather dull non-political history course. Trouble was, the textbooks were even duller.

So I picked up a Smith book to remind me why I was interested. Suffice to say, I 'forgot' to open the textbooks until the end of the course but I am eternally grateful to Smith for bothering to research his books and dates within. It was the only course at university I got an 'A' in. Good on yer, Wil.

14. Blast from the past, but Amazon are doing a "Daily Deals" Kindle offer on Wilbur Smith at the moment.

That's my pocket money gone for the rest of the year......

15. Will Bore Smith.Read a lot of his stuff in the 80s. But like me, he doesn't age well.:)

• Like Like x 1