Wikipedia "Foreman of Signals" description

#1
All,
Please do not shoot the messenger, but thought it only fair to share this one currently available to all in the public domain. Click on the Wikipedia link below and look at the description of the Foreman of Signal (IS), or open Google and type in Foreman of Signals and open the first link available on Wikipedia.

It made me chuckle.

Wikipedia Foreman of Signals

I do not concur, but thought it may cheer someones day up.

Regards
 
#2
Well done. It had to be said. Things have been a bit too grown up recently and it was about time we all started being pathetic again. It's why the other Corps respect us so much. Keep up the good work.
 
#3
So who failed selection for Foreman(IS) recently and is currently serving at Mons?
 
#4
Just in case someone edits the Wiki page: :D




The title has also been conferred to the trade formerly known as Supervisor Information Systems who were generally made up of failed technicians who found the door to the path of FofS "proper" barred by a lack of technical knowledge, pie eating and phyisical injury or all of the above. The new title Foreman of Signals Information Systems or Lance Foreman as they are affectionally known came into effect in December 2007. A soldier selected for FofS IS training is also subject to a selection process though not to the same level as a FofS or YofS who are considered the cream of the Corps supervisory structure. On finishing the course students are acredited with what can only be known as "my first degree" from Bournemouth University, a degree in name only containing modules that a small child could complete. They are then thrust into the Ops room environment, where they spend years hiding from Sqn PT and living in the shadow of the FofS and YofS. Dont get them going on the subject of DHCP or DNS, you could be there for days, you have been warned......

Working in IT myself, I rather like that description!
 
#5
Shhh don't tell HQ SOinC(A). I rather like it and even better it's true. Plastic FofS are on the way out anyway as the big man has decided it just doesn't work (a bit like them).
 
#7
Gremlin said:
Just in case someone edits the Wiki page: :D




The title has also been conferred to the trade formerly known as Supervisor Information Systems who were generally made up of failed technicians who found the door to the path of FofS "proper" barred by a lack of technical knowledge, pie eating and phyisical injury or all of the above. The new title Foreman of Signals Information Systems or Lance Foreman as they are affectionally known came into effect in December 2007. A soldier selected for FofS IS training is also subject to a selection process though not to the same level as a FofS or YofS who are considered the cream of the Corps supervisory structure. On finishing the course students are acredited with what can only be known as "my first degree" from Bournemouth University, a degree in name only containing modules that a small child could complete. They are then thrust into the Ops room environment, where they spend years hiding from Sqn PT and living in the shadow of the FofS and YofS. Dont get them going on the subject of DHCP or DNS, you could be there for days, you have been warned......

Working in IT myself, I rather like that description!
Gremlin - you've saved it for posterity! It's been edited out of the Wiki page for sum unknown reason! :-(
 
#8
Mr_Bridger said:
Gremlin - you've saved it for posterity! It's been edited out of the Wiki page for sum unknown reason! :-(

TBH - it's probably better kept on here than the general wiki anyway !

I wonder who edited that so quickly :? :? :lol:
 
#12
Make all the IS geeks redundant in the new defence review. We don't need computers anymore - we can do it all by iPhone.
 
#14
Idrach said:
So who failed selection for Foreman(IS) recently and is currently serving at Mons?
How can you fail the selection but still attend the course assuming they did?
 
#15
The page has been edited again and it is causing great gnashing of teeth with the FofS trade. They aren't happy their page is being messed around with.

I believe the culprit for this can only be a Foreman who can't bear the sharing of name (and association with) the IS counterparts or a Yeoman of Signals who feels ever so slightly bypassed by this new tradegroup.

Amusingly it may be a YofS as the first paragraph previously created mentions them (Yeomans) alongside the Foreman of Signals, on the Foreman of Signals page, as equals when everybody knows they couldn't pass the chiildrens modules on the FofS(IS) course, hence why they became Yeomans.

The pin is pulled,,,,
 
#16
northern said:
everybody knows they couldn't pass the chiildrens modules on the FofS(IS) course, hence why they became Yeomans.

The pin is pulled,,,,
Very childish...

Especially since everyone knows that they only invented IS Ops/FofS IS so they had something to do with those Techs who failed/bottled doing their T1...
 
#17
I like the new version:

Foreman of Signals (IS) are the newest and fattest non-commissioned Information System managers in the Royal Corps of Signals.

A sloth who is selected for Foreman of Signals (IS) training must hold a minimum qualification of failed technician. Students currently undertake a mothercare degree in Management of Military Information Systems accredited by Billy Smarts Circus. Work is currently being undertaken to increase this accreditation to become a GCSE. On completion of the course, the soldier is promoted to Staff Sergeant if the rank is not already held, and assumes the appointment of Ops Room Brew Boy. The holder of the appointment can be promoted through the ranks from Staff Sergeant, to Warrant Officer Class 2, then Warrant Officer Class 1. To distinguish the appointment the suffix of FofS is used (i.e. SSgt(FofS (IS)), WO2(FofS (IS)), WO1(FofS (IS)).

[edit] History
The Foreman of Signals (Information Systems) roster remains in its infancy (and is likely to be binned in the near future) with the first course having being run in 2000. The first course was regarded as a pilot course, had only 4 students and was only 4 weeks in duration. Slowly the course is developing (along with the students brains), with the current course (Course umber nine) which started in September 2009 having 12 students and being 32 weeks long.

[edit] Selection process
To be accepted onto the Foreman of Signals (IS) course, each individual candidate must be a fat failed technician. From December 2009, the candidates who wish to attend the 2010 course must complete four Tutor Marked Assessments (TMAs) which are to be submitted prior to the selection board which will be held in June 2010. In June 2010 selected candidates will attend a one week selection board where they will be expected to participate in Command Tasks, complete a Staff Planning Exercise or Mission appreciation, present an essay on a previously undisclosed topic and participate in group led discussions on topics taken from current affairs. These tasks are used to assess the candidates suitability to the task of becoming a Foreman of Signals (Information Systems).

The number of eligible candidates varies every year, however, the board selects approximately 10 students for each course, who tend not to even be from the IS engineer trade as they they are mostly useless. In addition to the Royal Signals candidates which attend training, in recent course 2 members of the Royal Marines have also been in attendance
 
#19
Out there there is either somebody has just failed the selection and is very bitter, a very disgruntled F of S who doesn't like the new F of S (IS) or there is a ver p155ed off general roster bloke/bird who has just been bitched by an F of S (IS).

Regardless, handbags at dawn for the Royal Corps of Signals!
 
#20
jimmys_best_mate said:
northern said:
everybody knows they couldn't pass the chiildrens modules on the FofS(IS) course, hence why they became Yeomans.

The pin is pulled,,,,
Very childish...

Especially since everyone knows that they only invented IS Ops/FofS IS so they had something to do with those Techs who failed/bottled doing their T1...
Sorry Yeoman, but please give me time to cast my rod if you would, I was still putting on my line before you bit.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Proximo ARRSE: Site Issues 8
chocolate_frog Army Reserve 23
msr Military History and Militaria 1

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top