Wikipedia down

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Victorian_Major, Jan 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So - who is missing it? Enjoying the Black Screen of Death?

I had no idea I used it so much - but I must have had 3 or 4 times today when I've come a cropper with a hole in my general knowledge. I admire its comparative impartiality and editorial standards but if it is in danger should I place my reliance elsewhere or go out and and firebomb someone's embassy? Advice please...

2. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

3. walkyrie

walkyrie Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Lifted from the wikipedia article on the blackout:
    Only discovered as the Works computers automatically block JavaScript.

Edited to Add: Dam you vvaannmmaann!!

4. Wikipedia is only down for 24 hours as a protest towards some legislation the US gov is trying to put through the senate that would allow internet censorship. Im very surprised actually it hasnt been on the news in the UK, as its quite a big deal state side.

5. Aha - to the iPad! Thanks.

Funnily enough I am rather addicted - it's just so useful if you are an inquisitive bugger like me. Because pages load quite quickly it is great for travelling on the ipad, you just enter a line of enquiry and hyperlinks can take you all over the place. And I admire the fact that it is free at the point of use.

So here's the real question - is the outage due to outrage, a PR stunt or do they need to do an upgrade?

6. Just hit your browsers stop button when it loads the page you want. Simples

7. walkyrie

walkyrie Old-Salt Book Reviewer

I'd say its more PR then anything.

When you open any thread on another forum I frequent you are met this image blocking all page content (but with links in the image to "continue to thread" "read more about SOPA" etc.)

In my opinion, this is a much better way to attrat attention to the real issue, rather then holding a PR/Media friendly black-out protest for one day.

sopa.JPG

8. Bah, and there I was thinking I'd actually get some work done today. Welcome back, Wikipedia. So long, productivity. :)

9. Firstly, what astounds me is the breadth and depth of subjects covered. I have never Googled a question that hasn't had a wiki response, now matter how niche or obscure the subject.

I'm not really sure what lies behind this protest but if it is because they breach copyright or IPR then it doesn't seem fair that they should be able to do so without paying royalties, if that means we have to pay a small sum to be Wiki members then that isn't so hard although we would lose an educational source which is widely used because it is free and readily available. I would have though negotiation with copyright holders whould be able to sort this problem out.

10. An encyclopedia article on practically anything would fall under the protective umbrella of fair use and be exempt from copyright claims.

Edit: There's a thread going here that'll explain what all this is about.

11. I agree with you about fair use but in all such cases the inclusion of copyright material should only be as an illustrative sample not a work in its entirety. You may refer to a film, show publicity material etc but that is totally different to having the whole film on the site, or song etc.

Having seen how hysterical the US got about the last medical bill that went through I think I will wait and see what the actual outcome is before listening to all the 'end of our world as we know it' speeches.

I will peruse the thread (thanks for the link) as soon as I get the time.

12. The proposed US anti-piracy legislation has been likened to smashing Gutenborg's press before he printed his bible. Maybe a tad dramatic but lots of other concerns are apparently supporting the protest, if not exactly closing down their sites.

As for the accuracy of Wikipedia articles, university students are allegedly told not to use it for information in their theses, etc. Best imagine it as the Hitch Hiker's Guide To the Galaxy of our world. It seems to have supplanted Encyclopaedia Britannica "as the standard repository of all knowledge and wisdom ........ although it contains much that is apocryphal or, at least, wildly inaccurate ...." Wikipedia's success could be put down to the fact that it does not cost £50 for online access.

13. I love it: the Yanks endlessly bang on about free speech yet the first opportunity they get to make their Internet more like China's they seize it with both hands. We aren't doing this yet it is possible to sue foreigners for libel, from this country if a few copies of the libelous material are published here. This even goes for Interent access. Happily the Americans have fucked off judgements against their people, but then SOPA is produced. Very odd. Libel tourism here, restricted internet over there.